Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

I'd like to take a shower, its been 400 days

Its been 400 days since I purchased this coach. We've never used the hot water heater.

Today I said to myself, "self, its time to start this baby up".

Pulled out the Suburban manual, its a self lighting in coach switch you turn to one. The pilot light says out for about 15 seconds and then the light goes off. I go outside the coach, its heating up for sure. Then a minute later I get to the line that says "Make sure there is water in the tank" So I pop the release valve, nothing releases - no water. Then I pull out the "Anode ROD" and there is nothing in the tank.

So I walk out to the back of the RV and see if there is a valve that isn't turned on. Nothing.

I really need a shower... Any thoughts? I'm now out of the 1 year of warranty. I'm bout ready to tear into the cabinetry under the sink to find if there is a shutoff switch or if it was never plumed.

nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcanopies View Post
I'm bout ready to tear into the cabinetry under the sink to find if there is a shutoff switch or if it was never plumed.
I really do not know anything about your RV, but my husband found in our Pace Arrow, that he could access the hot water heater by removing the drawers in the bathroom cabinet. The HW heater was under them.

Just a wild guess.... Hope someone who knows can give your better guidance.

JoAnn

Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #3

is the water heater bypass plumbing set to "bypass' mode?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
is the water heater bypass plumbing set to "bypass' mode?
I've traced the lines, cannot see this, where would it be by the pump?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Typically there is a check valve in the hot water supply line. I believe it is to prevent back flow of the hot water. If you do have one it may be stuck. Follow the lines. Wish I knew more about your RV.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like the hot water bypass valve is in the bypass position.

My bypass valve is in the closet on the back side of the hot water heater, I've seen them under sinks and behind drawers. Never heard of a bypass being located in an area that would require you to remove cabinetry.

Look for a valve theta has 2 positions; bypass and normal flow or words similar.

I searched Google for your owners manual but no joy.

Hopefully someone with your rig will come along and answer your question.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I wouldn't be surprised if the bypass is set on a new rig. They don't want water sitting in things for who knows how long. Warranty or no, a phone call to the retailer shouldn't cost you anything. They should be able to tell you straight away where to look. After that, bypass valve set correctly, the water will just flow into the tank if on city water or the pump will fill it up on tank water. You may need to open a hot water valve to let air escape more easily from the lines which helps the tank fill more easily.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #8

I hear you and many thanks to all who have commented. I've searched the whole line from where it goes in the coach to where it goes into the water heater and back. Made a little mess and had to get the wet vac out to vaccume up some water.

I'll call them tomorrow to find out where it is. Hopefully they know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the bypass is set on a new rig. They don't want water sitting in things for who knows how long. Warranty or no, a phone call to the retailer shouldn't cost you anything. They should be able to tell you straight away where to look. After that, bypass valve set correctly, the water will just flow into the tank if on city water or the pump will fill it up on tank water. You may need to open a hot water valve to let air escape more easily from the lines which helps the tank fill more easily.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You might also post your question in the Gulfstream Owners Forum Gulf Stream Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Why would anyone purchase a coach and not have them goes through a walk through with you where they show you how everything works and you check things like cold and hot running water, batteries working, propane on, stove working, refrigerator working, etc.? And then to let it sit for over a year and never try it?

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Why would anyone purchase a coach and not have them goes through a walk through with you where they show you how everything works and you check things like cold and hot running water, batteries working, propane on, stove working, refrigerator working, etc.? And then to let it sit for over a year and never try it?

Barb
Sometimes people act in ways that don't always make sense on the face of things. However, the overall goal here is to encourage people to share their expertise and their questions. There was a time not so long ago where I felt very much at sea with all the different systems that were in my rig. I didn't get to all of them right away and there are still many things more I need to learn.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Sometimes people act in ways that don't always make sense on the face of things. However, the overall goal here is to encourage people to share their expertise and their questions. There was a time not so long ago where I felt very much at sea with all the different systems that were in my rig. I didn't get to all of them right away and there are still many things more I need to learn.
+1

I, just last weekend, used the LP gas burner on my water heater for the first time. Boondocking for a week will make you do all sorts of new things.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
In my gulfstream its under the sink, I have to unsrew a panel to get to it and the filter, I have a different model than but its a place to look. my handle is red and it is tagged, hope this helps
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #14

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have to ask but is there water in your holding tank and the water pump turned on( don't ask) or do you have the water hose connected to the MH from another source and is it turned on(don't ask). All part of the learning curve

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower