Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2017, 01:10 AM   #1

Idea simple for faster Wi Fi

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1505285042.233895.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  8.0 KB

I wanted to post this topic because if your like me, you've spent a lot of time in RV parks where the Wi Fi simply doesn't work. Usually why???? You guest it. A weak signal because they put you in a far off corner of the park where getting decent Wi Fi is just not possible. Some RViers will spend hundreds of dollars to install a rooftop antenna on their roof. This means drilling holes in your beautiful RV, having to use a ton of caulking afterwards and hope it doesn't leak. Or you could do what I do. This is the very reason the Wi Fi repeater was invented. You simply plug it into a wall outlet and set it up. No wiring, no installation required. It grabs that weak single from the parks router even your Wi Fi devices can't detect and supercharges your internet into a fast experience. I use the Belkin Linksys AC750 dual band range extender. I shouldn't even be able to get Wi Fi at the part of the park I live in here in Southern Nevada and yet I'm running at 15 megabits per seconds (mbps). You can usually pick one of these up either on eBay or at your Bestbuy, Walmart and so on. These range in price from $20 buck to $120 bucks. Probably the best money I have ever spent to help improve our internet situation. This is a really cool device for all you Walmart parking lot campers, since Walmarts all over the country are starting to offer free Wi Fi to their customers. Fill free to post feedback if you have any questions. I hope this post helps many of my fellow RViers in better facilitating the numberous Wi Fi RV hotspots around the country that otherwise would be totally unusable. Happy Surfing.

Please Note: This is not an advertisement and I'm not trying to sell a product. It's a simple solution to Wi Fi. Be nice to see more of my fellow RViers actually using something like this.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:27 AM   #2

So the WiFi extender is in your RV, just like your laptop, and you call that an extender?

At least on the roof, you do not have the interference of the RV frame or the RV next door.

You have a lot to learn.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #3

Never had a problem. This one actually uses laser technology to target your desired Wi Fi network and keep you connected. I have no interference and that's no joke. I have 2 other neighbors right next door to me. Wi Fi technology is changing. And yes I am running at 15 Mbps. Plus It's one less thing on the roof to get hit in a lightening storm.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:39 AM   #4

Laser technology to aim radio waves? Seriously. For an 802.11n site I would expect 100 Mbs.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:03 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Was the speed test just to the extender or to an external internet site? What time of the day was the speed test performed? How many campers are currently in the park? These are all factors that must be considered to accurately assess the overall performance.

Extenders work best when placed at the midpoint between the wireless transceiver and the end user. As signal strength decreases data error rates increase which in effect results in a narrowing of the data bandwidth.

The extender will help with one problem but there are others factors that will limit the viability of a campground internet service. It's a start but not the bee's knees to help boost overall network performance.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:19 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Poor wifi in most RV resorts is generally due to lack of bandwidth not signal strength. A full strength wifi signal doesn’t necessarily mean you will have the bandwidth required to access the internet. RV resorts with 200-400 sites never spend the money required for a high speed connection capable of supplying that much data flow. Just one or two users attempting to stream video will will reduce the data availability to near zero for the rest of those on the network. All the “extenders” in the world won’t help if the bandwidth isn’t available.
Mdh1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have one of these extenders in my garage (TP-Link) and I'm surprised at how well it works relaying the signal. I got to thinking it might work in the RV as a poor man's extender. Keep in mind that many of these relays transmit at a higher output than your laptop. Sometimes that's all that's needed to get a spotty connection working. Thanks for sharing this.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't even try to connect to campground wifi anymore. Instead I use my ATT Connected Car Mobley device. Purchased Mobley for $99. The ATT Connected Car charge is $20 per month. Unlimited data. Can connect up to 5 wifi devices at any one time. Uses ATT cell towers for internet connection. So far, I've only been in one area where ATT coverage was bad (Livingston TX).
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #9

How does it connect to the campground WiFi? Typically these type Wi-Fi extenders need permission from the Wi-Fi to connect to it. Typically through a WPS function.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
How does it connect to the campground WiFi? Typically these type Wi-Fi extenders need permission from the Wi-Fi to connect to it. Typically through a WPS function.
Yep, and if it's broadcasting as a simple repeater/extender that is using the same public SID as the park, anyones equipment close to that RV is going to try to automatically connect to it rather than the campground equipment, if that repeater has a weak signal to the base (which it likely will) then everyone around it suffers.

But like others have mentioned, the main reason campground wifi slows down is network saturation at the head. That wifi might be a 100% strong signal throughout the park at 100mbps, but the campground may only have a lousy DSL connection at the head, which is trying to serve 50 people all wanting to watch netflix. Nothing will fix that short of the park getting faster service from their ISP.

If weak signal truly is a problem, all one needs is a high gain "directional" antenna and knowledge of where the park transmitter is located in order to point the antenna. LOS (line of sight) matters too, the less obstacles (trees, walls, vehicles) the better the signal.

Many years ago a friend and I shot a wifi signal 5 miles using nothing but custom made directional antennas made from pringles cans and consumer grade junk wifi radios, both at top of tall building so we could have true LOS.

There is no need to saturate the park with radio waves using a high watt repeater with omni-directional antennas. Just get a better (directional) antenna and aim it at the parks nearest wifi access point.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #11

Well I think most people don't understand how Wi Fi repeater technology works. It takes what is a very weak wireless signal and it amplifies it 2 or 3 times virtually putting you closer to the actual antenna or router that's producing the signal in the first. It's not perfect technology. Like any other Wi Fi device you have to have the repeater situated so it can get the best reception possible. Near windows is the best where the wireless signal can be best received. It's a new technology, probably came into existence less than half a decade ago. All I know is works good for me and that's why I created this thread. Because I hope the info will be a benefit to others.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:

A repeater is general is completely wireless. When you first plug it in you connect to the Wi Fi network that's the repeater setup page. Type the IP address of the repeater into your internet browser ( example 192.168.1.2 you get the idea) and it usually walks you through a setup wizard and allows you to choice any available Wi Fi networks in your area. My repeater does both 2.4 GHZ and 5.0 GHZ but I don't use 5.0 because I usually don't need. It's a very a simple process and usually only take a couple of minutes. Printed instructions come with repeater. You have to name your unique Wi Fi network while your setting up the repeater then connect to that network once setup is complete.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:

A repeater is general is completely wireless. When you first plug it in you connect to the Wi Fi network that's the repeater setup page. Type the IP address of the repeater into your internet browser ( example 192.168.1.2 you get the idea) and it usually walks you through a setup wizard and allows you to choice any available Wi Fi networks in your area. My repeater does both 2.4 GHZ and 5.0 GHZ but I don't use 5.0 because I usually don't need. It's a very a simple process and usually only take a couple of minutes. Printed instructions come with repeater. You have to name your unique Wi Fi network while your setting up the repeater then connect to that network once setup is complete. You'll use the IP address anytime you need to change the repeaters setting via its webpage interface. Also usually if it's a guest Wi Fi that doesn't require a password you just connect the repeater to that Wi Fi or just use the Wi Fi password the park gave you. The rest is usually automatic. There is both WPS setup button and reset button on the side of the repeater in case you ever run into problems or want to reprogram it.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:15 AM   #14

I have a comment and a question:
I too have a Hotspot Device that costs me $20/mo. but ours is from T-Mobile and we love it. When I configured the device I set it up with WPA2 encrypt security and know I'm good there.

The reason I've never really been interested in connecting to CG WIFI is:
1) Not enough bandwidth to supply to everyone as mentioned before
2) Security

So my question is:
No mater how you connect to a CG WIFI network, whether it's with the device the OP is talking about, WIFI ranger, or any other means...it just seems to me that—now I'm plugged into a PUBLIC WIFI network—and am very vulnerable as far as security is concerned. I want to understand how security typically works in these CG situations and can you improve security no matter how you connect to it?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote