Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
Ideal Motorhome length

Hi everyone! We currently do not have an RV but are planning to full time in about 2 years. My wife and I have been searching for our first RV. We agree that we want a used Class A diesel pusher. The question yet to be answered is the length. This is where we would love to hear from the ones that are already doing this. Considering we will be full timing for many years, we are considering 40-45ft. is there a significant disadvantage to having an RV over 40 feet when it comes to having access to parks and campgrounds. We know there will be some that cannot accommodate big rigs but do you find it a problem frequently enough to consider downsizing? Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you.

DWRV57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
You can search this forum up and down, sideways, backwards, and inside out, and will find that there are different strokes for different folks on this

As for us, we went a bit on the longer side, a 42'er, which we fully understand the limitations of being this long...there are many factors to consider. Comfort and plenty of room to live in for us anyway was a
big factor.

Good luck on your choice.

Jactravlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Country Coach Owners Club
I always thought I'd move up to a 45 but have since changed my mind. I'll stick with my 40
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
simply put...public parks like state and national park, likely. privately owned parks, not so much
rich, n9dko

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ideal Motorhome length

First and foremost, Welcome!!👍 Good luck with all your ventures. You'll find the population here both friendly and helpful-- except for me. I tend to get crusty and snarky at times, but usually only on days that end in 'y'. In any event, you've come to the right place.
It's my opinion that the so-called size restriction is significantly overblown. There was probably a great deal of truth in it 40-50 years ago, when the primary source of camping sites was the state and national park system, most of which was conceived and designed pre- WWII. Today, not so much.
We have found perhaps 5-10 listings over 4 years in campground directories that stipulated a size limit. Oddly enough, most of those seemed to be in California. Simple. Just find another place.
As to overall size selection for full time living purposes, my advice to those who ask is to (if possible) buy bigger than you think you'll need. The notion of "too big" will only last a month or so as you settle in and get comfortable. "Too small" will last forever.
Good Luck!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
John beat me to the punchline:
"Too BIG lasts only a few days as you get used to it...Too small lasts forever"

Another issue to consider is licensing...check your home-state laws for upgraded driver's licensing. Some say - over 26,000lb GVWR requires upgrade. Other's say over 40' requires upgrade. Upgrade can be add'l testing and even a medical report. This IS NOT an upgrade to a Commercial Driver's license...no state requires a CDL for an RV that I know if.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
As someone looking for a shorter, around 30' DP, there sure seem to be a lot of DPs on the used market around 40', so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. Not so much for 30'. We don't live in the thing full time, but we do live in it several months of the year traveling from the West Coast to the East Coast and back along with wherever else we choose to go. We also use it on logging roads here in OR which are usually very curvy and single lane. A 40 footer wouldn't work for us, but if I were full timing I would probably have one at least that big.

Best of luck with the choice.

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I wouldn't even THINK about considering length over floor plan if I were full timing.

I have had my '43' footer on much smaller pads, as long as there is not a tree or something at the end, your overhang behind the axles can extend past the end....

Now, sometimes the access roads limit you and requires 'judicious' turning skills, but once you are used to your rig, that can be less of an issue.
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have always been able to find a suitable place for our previous 38' and current 40'. Will it everywhere? No of course not. But being roomy is a biggie to us. Other things to consider is carry capacity. A 40' on a single rear axle is typically near maxed out. Moving to a tag axle solves this and has other goodness.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #10
Length plus toad does matter some as it may limit your choice of available spots, but as others have said they have had little issues. Keep in mind with the advent of triple and quad slides, you can have plenty of room on a shorter chassis. ( Once deployed! )
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
We looked until we found the perfect floor plan for us, which turned out to be 35+ ft. Many of the longer MH's have a 2nd bathroom which adds to the length. We love our layout because of the full length closet and wardrobe along the back. It really is personal preference. Look until you walk in one and say "this is it!". You will know it when you see it. Have fun looking and good luck. We purchased ours with full-time in mind. We will be listing our s&b early next year and as soon as it sells, we will be FT.
Kathryn and Clyde + Patty Pepper
2011 Itasca Suncruiser 35p
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:27 AM   #12
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
36-42' less Toad would work for most situations. adding the Toad would increase your overall length and must be considered when looking for a MH Park that can handle your rig on a pull through. JMHO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:56 AM   #13
There's more to it than length. A lot depends on how many occupants and life style. We have a 45 ft. with King bed and 4 slides. Just 2 of us and we do not entertain inside. The benefits more than offset the restrictions. State and national parks can be a problem but there are usually nearby commercial parks that are suitable.
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #14

Unless you really want to take advantage of the older and smaller state and national park campgrounds, the length should not be too much of an issue. As mentioned previously, you can shop for private parks with the accommodations you want/need.

43' Renegade/Freightliner Coronado '06
31' Coachman Liberty Edition Bunkhouse '15
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote