Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I took advice from this forum and mounted rope lights permanently under both the main and bedroom awnings using new plastic channel strips sold at Home Depot. They come in 6' strips and have adhesive backing... but they also need to be secured with small sheet metal screws into the awning housing itself. Then I just pressed the rope light into the channel.. they just snap in place.. and secured the rope lights further using "U-clamps" which I also screwed into the awning housing about every three feet.

I really wanted to permanently wire them too but haven't yet figured out how to safely get AC from inside the slides to the outside lights.
I use outdoor extention cords to tie the two rope light strips together and then to AC power in a storage bay. I plug them into a wireless control unit which is controlled from a master unit inside which also controls the rope accent lighting I've installed behind the ceiling molding throughout the interior. Pretty cool but I still wish I could figure out how to get AC through the slide to the exterior lights.

No pictures yet but I'll post them when I can.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I bought these lights from Camping World about 6 years ago for my old motorhome. They come with 10 2' long plastic channels that slid into the aux awning slot. When installed the channels go the full length of the awning. A rope light then snaps into this plastic channel. The awning can be rolled up with the lights installed.

Haven't tried them on my new electric awning.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...t-Strip/skunum=26172

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry it took me a while to respond about the rope lights, I hadn't checked back in a while, but Rick is right about useing some mounting strips to attach them to the side of your rig. They are available at Home Depot and probably Menards or Lowes also. They come with double sided tape on them, you can add screws or poprivets if you like but that may not be neccessary, then take the plug off the end of the electric plug in cord, drill a hole through your exterior wall just big enough for the cord, caulk it a little, then either put the plug back onto the cord to plug into an interior outlet or if you're really good or lucky at wiring (or both) you can hard wire it into your 110 volt wiring with a switch to control it, depending on how the wiring is in your motorhome and how close it is in the wall to your rope light. It looks great and is very functional. Good luck with your light project!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:43 AM   #18

Steve and Rick, thanks for sharing that - we really like like how you did that. Less work all around once they are installed and a nice look to boot.

(and Penni the dachshund)
sunnydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I should clarify/correct my earlier post on this. I attached the plastic channels which hold the rope lights to the SLIDE TOPPER housings and NOT the awning housings. There is a half circle indentation on mine which runs the length of the housings and allows for the sheet metal screws without interfering with the operation of the topper.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Sunnydays, if you have an auto awning, and it's working properly, it WILL retract when the winds pick up. Can you imagine the mess that could be created (or hazard) if your lights got caught up in the mechanism? Sounds like a scene from "RV"...

I like easyrider's idea, and I'm curious too as to how the lights were attached. Good question!

Brenda, of...