Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
GSGracie.....If it's a front tire. Loosen all of the lug nuts and remove all but 3-4 of them. Have the spare ready to go. Use the jacks to the lift the coach an inch off of the ground. Quickly remove the bad tire and install the new. Snug up the lug nuts and lower the coach.....finish tightening. If your nervous about leaving the coach in the air for the few moments you're changing the tire, through some wood blocks under the axle.

If it's a rear outside dual, run the inner dual up on a ramp and change the outer. If it's an inner dual, run the the outside tire up on a ramp, place wood under the axle and then then lift the rear high enough to remove the ramp. Lower the coach back down on the blocks. Make sure you chock the front wheels.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Those who lift with the leveling jacks ...I presume you use two jacks (both on one side, or both on one end) rather than torquing the frame with just one jack?

My jacks will lift wheels off the ground in some conditions, but would require blocks under the jack if conditions were not just right.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our MH has 19.5 tires under it, as a result, the torque for wheel nuts in 150lbs. My 1/2 in Torque wrench adjust above that. I carry a small floor jack w/case that will lift the wheel only after using the leveling jack to raise it back to level if front, or just down solid to stabilize coach if on rear. Don't like bottle jacks although I have one rated at 12 ton (made in USA). When I used to have to work for a living, I've seen to many vehicles roll off bottle jacks, even on solid ground.
Don't get me wrong, we have AAA and will use them if they are reachable by any means at our disposal. DIY is only a last resort thing in my book.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Our MH has 19.5 tires under it, as a result, the torque for wheel nuts in 150lbs.
My 19.5's say 450-500lbft... what size MH you have?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Of course the blowout I had was an inner rear dual. No point in making it easy! Luckily the coach was still drivable but if a front tire goes you may be anywhere.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a bottle jack.. First park on level ground, then block the tires (the rest of them) becuse if you are lifting a REAR wheel the parking brake is useless. block against both foreward and backward movement.

Then use a bottle jack... THIS ONE.. oh, an air compressor makes it much easier.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94487

It is rated at 12 ton.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tightwad

GSGracie: We've been retired 21 years and have had an RV of some sort for 31 years. After we retired we spent $ at the same rate as when we were working. Funny thing happened-inflation has never been high but it has compounded and now everything seems expensive. Our MH does use an odd size tire so we carry a spare that is receiver mounted with tools and a bottle jack. No, I cannot lift the spare. Getting the spare off the mount is easy but putting the flat on the receiver mount is another thing so--I can roll the tire up on something like a pile of dirt or blocks or box--then I can extend the front jacks all the way--this brings the receiver tire mount down far enough to bolt the tire to the mount. Sure thing we've belonged to AAA since 1952. We've had flats in areas where there is no phone service. I guess I'm a belt and suspenders guy. Add some velcro, too!
Have fun!
Milt
Old 04-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gracie,
I was chuckling reading the responses to your original post. Having seen other posts by you I knew you were in New Zealand. The AAA got a chuckle and so did the one that said get a service. I can imagine you being out in no-no land and waiting a day for someone to come fix a flat.

Most likely all of us have at one time or another had a wheel, maybe two, off the ground. It's just the way some leveling requires it. I don't condone it, and I'll always lower back down and use some wood to raise that side of the coach and try leveling again.

Anyhow, if I were in your situation I would purchase a jack stand that is suitable for the heaviest corner of the RV. I'd raise the RV with the jacks, and then place the jack stand under the axle. To place it there I would use some type of push rod so as to not have to have my body under the RV. Once in position I would lower the jacks just enough to have some of the weight, but not all resting on the jack stand.

A bigger problem you are going to have, depending on the size of your tires, is that the lug nuts can have several hundred foot pounds of torque on them, and they need to be tightened back to the several hundred foot pounds of torque or you could loose a wheel up the road. If you weigh about 400 pounds you might be able to step on the end of the lug nut wrench and get it to move some. This is especially true with the 22.5 inch tires.

Anyhow, it is only my opinion of what I would do in that situation, not that it will work for you. I'm glad I have road side assistance.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To help loosen and to torque the lug nuts I carry a 4' steel pipe that will fit over the lug wrench. Works for me.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #24
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
A bigger problem you are going to have, depending on the size of your tires, is that the lug nuts can have several hundred foot pounds of torque on them, and they need to be tightened back to the several hundred foot pounds of torque or you could loose a wheel up the road. If you weigh about 400 pounds you might be able to step on the end of the lug nut wrench and get it to move some. This is especially true with the 22.5 inch tires.
To solve this issue get a torque multiplier. With this tool a 100# person can apply the required towque of 450# for 22.5" wheels
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #25

I pulled an outer dual off my MH at my home last month. It was flat and the valve stem would not hold air. Drove the inner dual up on a 2X10. Used a breaker bar with about 4 feet of pipe over the bar handle. All lug nuts came off. My 225 pounds on a four foot bar is quite a bit of torque. I used a jack stand at the end of the extension to stabilize that portion of the bar. After I removed the wheel I used a long 2X10 and rolled the tire up into the back of my pick up and took it to town to have the valve stem replaced. I have a large torque wrench and torqued them back to 475 and that is not particularly easy. I carry the jack, breaker bar & socket & extension, and the pipe when we travel. I'll certainly call the roadside service if need be but really prefer to do things myself and not be dependent on waiting for someone to come help me. I retired in 1993 so perhaps my feeling this way is something carried over from the good old days.
Bob

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote