Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2007, 06:51 AM   #1

I have a 97 352 Damon Intruder and I went to start it and nothing until I hit the switch for the coach batteries then it will start,,actually when I try to start it with the ignition it actually kills everything the clock on the radio goes to 12:00 no power.I changed the ground from the engine to the chassis and cleaned the ground from the battery thru the body.???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2007, 06:51 AM   #2

I have a 97 352 Damon Intruder and I went to start it and nothing until I hit the switch for the coach batteries then it will start,,actually when I try to start it with the ignition it actually kills everything the clock on the radio goes to 12:00 no power.I changed the ground from the engine to the chassis and cleaned the ground from the battery thru the body.???

Old 09-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #3

First guess is battery is dead. Classic symptoms. I have had this happen with a couple of coaches. If it starts on the house battery, most likely chassis battery is run down. If it is 5 years old or so, probably due to be replaced. Try charging it and see if it starts. Maybe jump it so you can eliminate other problems. If it starts with a charge or jump then you can be pretty sure its a dead battery.

If it is new, then you must have a draw on it. If it has been sitting for a while something drained it. I know in my case it would be fine all year until it sat for a period of months, dead, charge it up and fine as long as I was using it.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #4

The batteries are all good load tested everything is fine,like I said when I go to start nothing
Old 09-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #5

Could it be in the battery isolator? It appears that everything in the ignition system is ok if it starts with the house battery, (ignition swith, starter, solenoid). The two battery systems must "merge" somewhere after the aux start switch.

It seems as though it must be something between the truck battery and that circuit. I'm not exactly sure how this system is wired, but it must go from the truck battery and instead of the normal direct connection to the solenoid and starter, it must go through this aux start switch.

Or, does the aux start send juice to the battery on the truck and go that way? If that is the case then it really points the finger towards the truck battery. If it works on aux then the only difference is that you are adding a different battery into the equation.

I'm not trying to state the obvious just thinking out loud as it were... Maybe something will cause a lightbulb to go off for you.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #6

First of all please put the ground back on the engine. Remember that the engine is mounted in the chassis on rubber motor mounts. Unless there is a very good ground between the engine and the chassis the starter will not work well. One thing that I do when I get a newer unit, I drive old stuff, is to make sure that there is a ground strap equal to the battery cable between the engine the chassis, and the body. I would go back and check the battery load test again Also make sure that the alternator is working ok. I had a similar situation several years ago on a Southwind and it turned out to be a defective isolator that was not charging the chassis battery.

1990 Foretravel
Old 09-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #7

When I said I change the ground all I did was replace it with a new one, now the embarrassing part after doing all this if figured I will change the coach battery even though it checked out on the meter,,,, the positive cable on the sidemount was alittle loose. It works just fine now I am sorry for my stupidness.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tazmaniac:
When I said I change the ground all I did was replace it with a new one, now the embarrassing part after doing all this if figured I will change the coach battery even though it checked out on the meter,,,, the positive cable on the sidemount was alittle loose. It works just fine now I am sorry for my stupidness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just HATE when that hppens!

mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote