Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Here it's $3.659 at a local ARCO even though the US average is $3.589 or so in the paper this morning.
WA never seems to go as low as the national average.
I'm pretty sure that's how an 'average' works, some are higher, some are lower.

In the case of WA I suspect it's a combination of the distance from major refineries which means additional transport costs plus a relatively small market. There may also be a difference in State taxes pushing pump prices up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #16

Fuel price differences from one location to another in the lower 49 is largely due to local and state fuel price differences. Here's an easy to read reference for state tax. Local tax is not shown.
http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-g..._OnePagers.pdf

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #17

I use Gas Buddy. Saves a lot of money finding the best price in a given area.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
You obviously don't live in Canada; right?
Ya, we're at about $5.28 per US Gal. (can)here
Old 08-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post

You need to spend more time south of your border. We will gladly take your $$$ for out "cheap" fuel. Ha
Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Like everything in Bring Cash its way over priced. CTV did a report that BC has the highest fuel prices in Canada but I'm not sure that they checked right across the country, eh?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #21

Average fuel prices in the lower 48, would go down , if Needles CA, wasn't a dollar higher than everywhere else in a 200 mile radius.
Big sign ; in Needles, beside the interstate ; advertising fuel prices at stations 21 miles up the road , and you still see people fueling up there.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I never go to Needles, or as my friend down that-a-way calls it Needless.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If one is to believe the news, fuel prices will continue to drop until 2014 unless a hurricane or tropical storm disrupts refineries and oil production.
Or traders on the exchange think the world is coming to an end.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #24

Man, US gasoline consumers have it way too good!

Around the lower mainland (metro) Vancouver area, we are up close to $6 a gallon. We are well outside of Vancouver in a rural farming/horse area but are still officially within the metro area. We have to pay tax at the pump to pay for transit service including rapid transit. But where we are, we don't get rapid transit and the regular bus service is terrible in the more urban locations and non-existent in the country. And then we have the BC carbon tax which was supposed to reduce vehicle use. I am not aware of reduced vehicle use. If they want your money, they just grab it from you in any convenient way they can. About 1/3 of the price of gas here in metro Vancouver is tax.

Gas tax highest in Vancouver: advocacy group - British Columbia - CBC News (2 year old article)

Heck, we even pay taxes on top of taxes:

http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada...as-prices.html

You don't need a calendar or watch around here. You can tell what time of the day it is and day of the week and even month just by what the gas prices are. They call it "supply and demand" pricing..... People typically gas up on a Sunday for the coming work week. Prices shoot up and then on a Monday it drops. Remember - the demand is down each and every Monday of the year so they have all that danged gas in their underground tanks languishing away that they can't get rid of. Gassing up on a Monday morning is the way to go.

A few years ago, they wanted to tax each car parking spot on commercial lots as another way to generate revenue. If you parked at Walmart, you'd have to pay for the spot. One example was a drive-in theater near us in the country (last remaining one around here). No transit service to get there but if you wanted to watch a flic from your car, you'd pay a parking tax. Huge outcry and it never went anywhere. Right up there with trying to tax people on water consumption from their own wells here.

I love going to Oregon. They have wonderful city and freeway roads, no sales taxes and the price of gas is really good. No sales tax on gas or anything else. Everything in the US is cheaper (a whole other long discussion) and in Oregon, no tax. They have great roads and yet no need to tax gas to pay for them. Our politicians should take note. I'd move to Oregon but then would lose medical coverage (another long discussion).

Americans should stop whining about gasoline prices! Bring your RV up into Canada and see how far you get on our $6/gal. gas and other things like our mafia-priced alcohol... We live close to the border and gas up in the US as often as we can at about $3.70/gal.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #25

I just finished a 11,500 mile trip thru Canada/Alaska. After paying Canada's gas price you think I wouldn't complain our gas prices in the lower 48 but I always will. I bought a Class B to take on this trip and left the Class A at home in the Garage, best decision I ever made, we love it and love it even more at the pumps !
Old 08-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #26

The most expensive fuel I encountered last year travelling from FL to AK was in Haines, AK...the Yukon or anywhere else in Canada. That's not to say Canada's prices aren't high, just they aren't alone.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The BC government says their carbon tax is working as gasoline consumption is down on a per capita bases. They never seem to ask the WA or Idaho officials how many BC vehicles fuel up at their pumps daily. I have relatives in the lower mainland of BC who never buy gas in BC so this has to be skewing the government numbers. I see they have frozen the planned increase but I think its time to axe that tax.

I am watching the CTVBC noon news and they just ran a story that the 10 highest priced fuel locations are in BC. All in the lower mainland and all in the great Vancouver district. And then the government wonders why tourism is down.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #28

Another question might be what do they really do with the carbon tax money and who does it really help?

BC gov't says:

The tax puts a price on carbon to encourage individuals, businesses, industry and others to use less fossil fuel and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions; send a consistent price signal; ensure those who produce emissions pay for them; and make clean energy alternatives more attractive.

Reality:

Carbon taxes a war on the poor | Troy Media

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation - BC: Carbon Tax No Success Story

It's all in the politics. The US has a good approach by mandating lower fuel consumption in vehicles. Vehicles are now being made that have high mpg that would have been unheard of not that long ago. It's perfectly okay to sell whatever volume of oil domestic producers want to foreign countries because of the revenue it generates. Selling most our other resources like lumber and coal all over the world is just fine too. The amount of fuel consumed to transport fuel (oil or natural gas) by pipeline or shipping anything by freighter is humongous and not discussed. If you go across the border and sit at a US gas station, it's unbelievable how many Canadians are gassing up there. And when Canadians gas up in the US, they often do a lot of shopping there, taking retail $$ away from Canadian businesses. Oh well. Then there's the extra fuel that gets burned up by folks driving to and from the US for gas (on US gas). What about the large aging population nearing or at retirement age that is getting into RV-ing and burning up all the gas at 10mpg or less? Maybe they should have a carbon tax on RV campgrounds? I've read that some public sector organizations like school boards get penalized because they need large vehicle fleets for maintenance and admin., esp. larger jurisdictions - is that fair? So many things to consider and who is telling the truth?

DW has to drive about 50 miles every day to/from work. How would she ever be able to modify her driving habits? The tax is punitive in this case.

It's all smoke and mirrors created by politicians for politicians and became the flavor of the month. As noted in one of the above articles, if it's so good, why hasn't it been adopted elsewhere? We're planning to reduce greenhouse gases in BC in the coming years by RV-ing a lot in the US on US gas..... Oh, and also, we love our gas hog V10 and if they ever build that Keystone pipeline, we can run it on Canadian fuel.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote