Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #15

Jeff,

Your 8.1 Chev. chassis may be like my 7.4 P-30 in that the oil filler tube extends from the engine to over the radiator, but doesn't extend very far. I found there is a rubber hose section between the fill neck and engine, so re-mounted the steel fill section as far forward as possible, then bought a longer section of oil resistant hose to bridge the longer gap. This moved the fill about 4 in. closer to the front, and made it easier to add oil (However, I still need a funnel and extreme care to avoid spilling).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
...On to the oil fill. On my moho, the fill opening is high, close to the "ceiling" of the engine compartment and you have to angle the funnel about 45 degrees, so that makes for a lot of close calls of dripping oil. I can only add 12 oz at a time, so 6.75 qts makes for a long time of holding the funnel at just the right angle to avoid spills, so spills are inevitable. Moving back and forth between dispensing the new 12 oz of fresh oil into the funnel and transporting it back to the filler tube causes more small spill drips. When I am finally done, I have used a lot of kitty litter, and my beautiful virgin concrete is no more. ?

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #16

I can't imagine having to dispose of that much used oil or handling 7 quart cans of new oil. A $45 oil change is a bargain!

Old 03-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeff,
As you might have noticed, we have the same model RV with the same chassis...so...I feel your pain!

Oil change #1 was laughable and motivated the acquision of the Fumoto drain tap. Haven't needed a clamp on the hose piece yet, but do not change hot oil...only slightly warmed.

The fill is just a nightmare. The filler pipe is short and high, so first I used a long tube transmission fluid funnel. It is slow going but works as long as you keep the funnel level...keep the funnel on-board if the engine ever needs a top-off.

Now for the oil change, I use an inexpensive drill powered pump to add the oil. Still have to go slow or it backs up the filler pipe, but that's better than the pain of holding the funnel upright for all that fresh slow draining cool oil (feels like it runs like molassas).
Heavy Duty Drill Powered Pump 650 GPH

Thanks for the laugh.
Safe Outlaw travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #18

1. Even if you can find someone who offers it for an oil change, you can barely buy 7 quarts of Mobil 1 for $45, so nothing is left over to pay for oil change labor

2. Some people don't like to do mechanical things and are known as "Checkbook Mechanics". There is nothing wrong with this, just like there is nothing wrong with getting a lot of satisfaction from doing your own work. Everybody gets to make their own choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
I can't imagine having to dispose of that much used oil or handling 7 quart cans of new oil. A $45 oil change is a bargain!
Old 03-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #19

I like to do all my own maintenance. I make sure it's done right and it gives me a chance to look around under the MH and check everything else out. Also I would doubt that your getting a high quality synthetic oil when paying a shop $45 to do an oil change. I also do all my own washing and waxing of the MH, which is a pain but I also spot things that need to be tightened or tweeked when doing that. But like said to each his own.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #20

I took my daughters car in for an oil change last month with a coupon. They did not fill it up, I had to add a quart the next day. I got what I paid for, never again. Jeff, lets see some pics of your new stains! I think they are like merit badges, my stains have stories. Once and only once, i put the new filter on without checking to see if the old gasket had come off. Squirted out a 20' circle and all over everything.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 PM   #21

I'm such a slob!

All this grief, hassle and heartache, a mess to clean up and a permanently stained concrete floor...for what? To save $50?

No thanks.

Freightliner does my oil changes while I sit back and enjoy another cup of coffee.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:27 AM   #22
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had flashbacks reading these posts!

Very good advice on the subject. Don't feel bad Jeff, did the same thing to my new floor too.

Couple things to add FWIW. If you have time, and I do take my sweet time servicing my vehicles. This ole world's got in to dang big a hurry anyway.....
I buy two 5 qt jugs (one to have extra on hand), plus a 1 qt, then with a small funnel keep refilling the 1 qt bottle out of the 5qt jug, then continue to use the 1qt bottle to fill the engine. Takes time yeah, but saves some money on oil. Then I keep the empty 1 qt bottle and keep buying 5qt jugs, always keeping about 3 to 4 quarts "ahead" in the remaining 5qt jug. Works for me.

Second thing I do to save a bit of a mess, especially on my hand/arm.....I take a medium size center punch, and carefully punch a hole in the bottom of the oil filter and let it drain into catch tub/basin whatever. Again, it takes time 'cause you have to wait for it to drain, but when it's done you just unscrew a nice empty light weight oil filter and carry on to next steps.

BTW, great looking floor in the pics! That's exactly what I intend to do soon. Complete with the nice stripes to go by when driving the coach inside, right on!

Regards to all,
W.D.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #23

And, regards to you W.D. what a great idea. This will be especially useful for my two Alfa Romeo Spiders since they have side mounted oil filters, and unscrewing them always results in a mess (why didn't I think of this?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
...Second thing I do to save a bit of a mess, especially on my hand/arm.....I take a medium size center punch, and carefully punch a hole in the bottom of the oil filter and let it drain into catch tub/basin whatever. Again, it takes time 'cause you have to wait for it to drain, but when it's done you just unscrew a nice empty light weight oil filter and carry on to next steps...!

Regards to all,
W.D.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #24

For spill use kitty litter but NOT CLUMPING, get the cheapest stuff you can find as yiu just want the clay stuff without the additives for odor and stuff.

Sprinkle it on the spill and LEAVE IT.

After a day or three stir it up with a broom.

If dark then sweep it up and put fresh down but now grind it in with shoes so you have some finer stuff.

Over time it will draw out every trace and have no marks...Many spills in our shop that are gone by this.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
For spill use kitty litter but NOT CLUMPING, get the cheapest stuff you can find as yiu just want the clay stuff without the additives for odor and stuff.

Sprinkle it on the spill and LEAVE IT.

After a day or three stir it up with a broom.

If dark then sweep it up and put fresh down but now grind it in with shoes so you have some finer stuff.

Over time it will draw out every trace and have no marks...Many spills in our shop that are gone by this.

Right on the money. That's what I did at my station for years. It works.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
The great thing about epoxy floors is that you can also apply it to old concrete if you clean and etch it first.My modest ranch style home was built in 1968 and the garage floor was nasty when we moved in. I purchased an epoxy kit from Home Depot 11 years ago and applied it. Any oil is a simple wipe up with a rag. We use it for an actual garage (cars in and out) rather than just storage and also back the cars out for Super Bowl parties, movie nights with friends, video games, enjoying great surround sound, a 92" screen and an InFocus projector permanently mounted. The wife and I have also done drive in movies in the garage. Kids spill pop and such but no biggie - just wipe it up off the floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1457198025.516429.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	120556
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I buy oil in 5 quart jugs to save money, but use an empty 1 quart bottle and a small funnel to fill up the motorhome engine. I use a fomoto valve to drain the oil, and I stick the hose directly into empty gallon milk jugs. When the jug gets full enough, I shut off the valve and move over the a second jug. No mess, not much clean up. I take the jugs to the autoparts store for recycling. My RV and car both use the same oil, so I only stock one kind. I have been using Castrol full synthetic. I have a 2011 ford f53 chassis.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:08 AM   #28

Thanks again for the great tips, fellas. I love the center punched filter idea. I will look at those oil pumps. I will get a clamp for my (shortened) hose attachment to the fumoto valve. I'll keep grinding that kitty litter into the stains.

And I will plan to do an epoxy floor sometime, just so many other things to do right now. Those floors look great.

And thanks for making me feel better, at least I have never forgotten to close the drain before adding the new oil! Can you imagine committing that sin on virgin concrete?