Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 07:23 AM   #43

Have you ever seen any shop do it other the for big rigs. Unless you worked in the auto field or knew someone that did, most people don't know that since I have never seen any directions to the contrary. But I could be wrong!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #44

In the video that Scarab posted 3 posts back, the young man certainly did not add oil to the filter before installing it.

Also, I notice he used ramps to elevate only the front wheels, so the vehicle is not level. Do you guys think this allows for all the oil to drain as well, or would it not make a difference?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #45

Angle depends on drain plug placement. I try to get the drain plug angled so most oil and gunk drains from the pan. Front higher or rear higher even a slight angle left or right. That's why I don't like/use those drain plugs with a shutoff valve. Too many years playing with internals of engines.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
In the video that Scarab posted 3 posts back, the young man certainly did not add oil to the filter before installing it.

Also, I notice he used ramps to elevate only the front wheels, so the vehicle is not level. Do you guys think this allows for all the oil to drain as well, or would it not make a difference?
Good catch Jeff

In our SUV, the drain is at the rear of the oil pan, so we use ramps to provide a better drain.
In our RV and Pick-up, the drain is on the side of the oil pan, so an incline is not good for the drain. They are both high enough off the ground to drain the oil with no lift.

We add oil to the can style filters if possible (a tilted filter just spills, of course).
But - On our SUV, the filter is just an insert that goes into a permanent reused screw-in cup (similar to the Powerstoke). There's really no way to pre-add oil to that set-up and still ensure the filter insert seats.

Name:   91m4DQ3Ad7L._AC_UL320_SR260,320_.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  20.7 KB

Like the YouTuber, engines with the very small filters don't leave the engine running dry for any significant time, so while it is good to pre-fill the filter, sometimes it isn't possible or practical.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
I just installed the fumoto valve so no help there but to add the oil I cheat. I remove the dog house, pull the out fill tube and dump the oil in there. I can fill the oil in under ten minutes
im with you. i pull the doghouse up and pull the fill tube out and put a funnel into the hole and now can dump straight into the top. when im done i take an oil rag and wipe out the top of the funnel raise it up a little and take another rag and cover the bottom. and then the funnel goes into a plastic bag. no drip no mess no fuss. way easier than trying to fill in the front compartment with 1 gallon jugs.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbelcher View Post
im with you. i pull the doghouse up and pull the fill tube out and put a funnel into the hole and now can dump straight into the top. when im done i take an oil rag and wipe out the top of the funnel raise it up a little and take another rag and cover the bottom. and then the funnel goes into a plastic bag. no drip no mess no fuss. way easier than trying to fill in the front compartment with 1 gallon jugs.
Man, there is no way I am carrying oil into my coach's interior and adding it thru the doghouse. I have been on this Earth almost 6 decades, and I have learned that this is something I would definitely screw up, probably in a completely un-forsee-able way. Anyway, here is my annual slob update:

I changed my oil and filter today, I think this is the fourth time for me. It actually went really well. I only messed up one time. I opened my Fumoto drain valve, and started the draining process into my plastic catch tub. The only downside to this valve is that the oil drains quite slowly. So of course I started getting bored, lying there on my customary acre of cardboard. I took the flashlight I had with me and started looking around the underside of my Workhorse chassis, seeing if my limited knowledge discovered anything that didn't look right. Something over on the opposite side of the coach piqued my interest, and I stretched my arm out and moved the flashlight toward it. This maneuver put the flashlight and my hand directly into the flowing stream of oil. But I had gloves on and it was just the free Harbor Freight flashlight, so no big deal. It was just a little dumb mistake that I seem to specialize in when doing this procedure.

I did use two new innovations today for the oil fill part. I know some guys have elevated the hood by wires attached to the windshield wipers, but that doesn't seem very stable to me, and I don't think my wipers are that stout. I could easily imagine the wire failing and getting concussed by the hood crashing onto my cranium. My son has a 2x6 board he uses to load his motorcycle into his pickup, and this was the perfect size for me to use to elevate the hood to gain another 4 precious inches of clearance in the engine bay.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #49

The other innovation I used is this $1.99 flexible silicone spout I found at the Tractor Supply Company. This little miracle allowed me to add my 6.25 quarts of oil without spilling a single drop. Read that sentence again. I did not spill A SINGLE DROP. That has never happened. It allows complete drainage of the quart bottles, I can even let go of the bottle to let it drain the last few drops. I have considered some of the other techniques you guys have suggested on this thread, but I know a pump would not work in my hands, that funnel with the attached hose has never been very successful for me, so I am sticking with my $1.99 TSC Funnel King miracle. It works perfectly in my tight space.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]