Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 12:51 AM   #1

I'm such a slob!

Okay, so in my profession I am very neat. I have had colleagues and assistants remark to me how neat and organized I am.

Today I changed the oil and filter for my motorhome for the third time since I obtained it in 2013. The first two times were in my driveway of my old house. It was brutally messy. Spilled oil from draining and from adding. A LOT of spilled oil. On my driveway.

So I have my moho stored at my new place with a nice new rv garage, virgin concrete. I have been planning for this. After the last oil mishap I installed a Fumoto valve, no more stupid plug. I purchased a drain hose for it , attaches firmly to a plastic nipple that snaps on the valve drain. This time I used the jacks to elevate the moho a few inches to make maneuvering down there easier. I purchased and deployed 12 ton jacks for safety. I placed almost an acre of cardboard over the concrete from a recently purchased washing machine. Sounds like I know what I'm doing, right?

In high school I worked for my father performing oil/filter/lubes at his car dealership. It's not like I am totally clueless. But that facility had a hydraulic lift to elevate the vehicles. We pumped oil in to the filler from a
55 gallon drum from a gasoline-like dispenser. And the bay had 30 years of oil spills already on it , so if you spilled some more, who cares?

Anyway, today I had the drain hose too long. The oil wouldn't drain well because I had to loop the hose. So I figured I would stretch the hose long, allowing the oil to drain better. Big mistake. The stupid hose detached from the Fumoto valve nipple, so the oil was draining right on the cardboard-covered floor. After a few seconds of trying to re-attach the hose, I finally just shut off the valve. The hose fits tightly to the nipple, but I guess with warm oil flowing through, it loosens. At first all looked OK, lots of the oil was on the acre of cardboard I had deployed. But a lot of oil had spattered beyond the barrier onto the virgin concrete. I quickly pounced up and located the "kitty litter" and liberally spread that around, but the damage was done.

On to the oil fill. On my moho, the fill opening is high, close to the "ceiling" of the engine compartment and you have to angle the funnel about 45 degrees, so that makes for a lot of close calls of dripping oil. I can only add 12 oz at a time, so 6.75 qts makes for a long time of holding the funnel at just the right angle to avoid spills, so spills are inevitable. Moving back and forth between dispensing the new 12 oz of fresh oil into the funnel and transporting it back to the filler tube causes more small spill drips. When I am finally done, I have used a lot of kitty litter, and my beautiful virgin concrete is no more.

So does anyone use a clamp to secure the hose to the Fumoto valve? That sounds like my next step. Does anyone accomplish this task without any spills, or am I just a sloppy S.O.B.?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 01:17 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
On my next oil change I going to try to use a Chapin 20002 2-Gallon Lawn and Garden Sprayer to pump the new oil in. I have a fumoto valve and it so far has works greats. I dont drain the oil when it's hot. I cut the hose to fit. I also use a plastic bag around the oil filter to catch the excess oil. My first oil change was a disaster, balancing a oil bucket on the axle did not work out to well. I have gotten a lot better since then.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:21 AM   #3

I use a hand drill and a drill pump (rotating CCW) connected to a tube down the oil fill neck to pump out oil 95% of the oil into a can. Then I remove the drain plug and oil filter to drain the rest.

After drained, I install plug and new oil filter. I use the same drill pump (in CW) to pump in the new oil into the engine.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
JeffAZ - sorry to hear about your virgin concrete losing its cherry - but look at it this way - if somebody had to break it - it might as well be you!!!!

Your story sounds so familiar to "stuff" that happens around my house, "All the best laid plans of mice & men..." Fahgedaboudit !!!! LOL

And both of my hands are nothing but thumbs.......and I am not the handiest - all my friends know the tools in my house come with pink handles as the wife is better at using them than me - I just have to accept that!!

And lets not forget about Mr. Murphy - sounds like he's your neighbor too!

But you have the satisfaction of knowing it is done - and finished - and ready for another great camping season.

What's that old CB trucker saying from the 70s....."Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down." Sounds like you did that.

I enjoyed your story - brought many "projects" in my past to mind.....

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:43 AM   #5

I went to Walmart and bought a big red high flow capacity funnel, which is about 10 inches in diameter and about 12 inches in length. I bought a black, about 3 gallon, jug with a 3 inch diameter top. I raise the MH a few inches with the jacks, making it so the high flow funnel fits into the jug and right under the oil drain plug, at a slight angle due to the frame crossbar/axel being in the way. I remove the drain plug and let the oil drain, once that is empty I replace the drain plug and then move my whole set up under the oil filter and then remove the oil filter letting the excess oil drain into the Funnel/jug. When that is done dripping I remove my whole set up and replace the oil filter. Essentially I have made the funnel/jug combo into a small makeshift oil receptacle like you used in the car dealership. I have done this three times so far and the only oil mess I get is on my hands when I originally take the plug/filter off, and when I clean funnel after the oil change. I have yet to spill any oil on the ground even though I do put down a plastic sheeting prior to doing the oil change.

When it comes to filling the oil, I bought a transmission oil filler tube at Walmart that has a threaded fitting with a shut off valve on one end that fits the 1 quart oil bottles and has about a 12 inch flexible clear 3/4 inch tubing attached. I then put the flexible tube into the oil fill spout and raise the quart oil bottle up and let the oil flow into the engine. It works like a charm, and only takes about 10-15 minutes to put all seven quarts back in. The only drawback is I buy seven one quart bottles rather than the bigger 5 quart bottle which is a little cheaper. Still the whole oil change costs me about $35. The cost of the funnel, jug, filler tube I bought to do the oil change was less than $20 and can be used over and over, as well as being easy to carry in the MH storage bay should you ever need to do an oil change while traveling.

I then, using another funnel pour the used oil, back into the empty 1 quart bottles, to empty my oil jug so it's ready for the next oil change. The whole oil/filter change from start to clean up takes me less than an hour and no oil spills to clean up.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #6

I take mine to the GM dealership and for about 50 bucks and when it's done I bring it back home. No mess, no fuss and the satisfaction of watching them do it.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:26 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just installed the fumoto valve so no help there but to add the oil I cheat. I remove the dog house, pull the out fill tube and dump the oil in there. I can fill the oil in under ten minutes
Old 03-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #8

I put a hose clamp on the hose on the Fumoto Valve. I have enough room to slide a 5 gallon plastic gas can under my coach & the hose is cut to fit just inside the opening of the can. No problem or mess draining. My oil fill is like yours so I just cut a piece of old garden hose about 14" long & attach it to a funnel & put the other end into the oil fill opening. Take a piece of wire & tie the funnel off so I don't have to hold it & just pour the oil in from gallon containers.

When I had my F250 years ago I was changing oil & after draining the oil into a container I started to put fresh oil in. Only problem was I had forgot to put the drain plug back in. Its amazing how far 3 or 4 quarts of oil will spread out on a driveway. That was when I bought my first Fumoto Valve.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
If you buy the oil in quart bottles you can use this funnel. FloTool Measu-Funnel 10704: Advance Auto Parts . You take the tube off and screw the threaded part off the funnel then attach the threaded part on the quart bottles. When the threaded part is turned clockwise it closes the opening. After you turn it up and put in in the fill tube you turn it the other way and it opens up. If you use the 5 quart jug you can fill the funnel and put the lid on and the put in in the fill tube and open the threaded part to dispense the oil.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

Good tips here fellas, thanks. I will research some of these.

DDDonkey, there is NO WAY I am bringing oil into my coach interior to fill through the doghouse. With my poor hydrocarbon hygiene, that has disaster written all over it!
Old 03-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Good tips here fellas, thanks. I will research some of these.

DDDonkey, there is NO WAY I am bringing oil into my coach interior to fill through the doghouse. With my poor hydrocarbon hygiene, that has disaster written all over it!
Yes I am very careful and the kids are not allowed around when I am doing this!
Old 03-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
If you buy the oil in quart bottles you can use this funnel. FloTool Measu-Funnel 10704: Advance Auto Parts . ...
That is the funnel I use dabrooks. My problem is my oil filler tube is placed so high in the engine bay that I would have to stand on a ladder to get the funnel and tube high enough to work. So I just take off the tube, and have to hold the funnel at 45 degrees, place the tip of the funnel in the filling tube and open the flow, letting my 12 oz of oil drop in. I've tried using the tube directly from the 1 qt bottles, but the connection would leak, and seemed to get stopped because there isn't air coming in the bottle to let the oil escape completely.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I find that the screw on part fits right on the Mobil 1 quart bottles. It does not leak a drop for me until I get it turned upside down in the filler tube. The I open the outer ring and it dumps the oil right in the filler tube. When the bottle is empty I close the outer ring and then remove it from the fill tube. I don't use the filler tube or the funnel.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #14

JeffAZ,
I know it's a bit late and, it does cost a few bucks but, too bad you couldn't have done what we did, just prior to our moving into our brand new home here in Lake Havasu City AZ. I knew I'd be doing my own work, like you, and, I've done my share of spillage over the years. So, I bit the bullet and had the floor professionally Epoxy coated, when the concrete was brand new.

I also had the stripes installed below the final two coats of clear. Those stripes will never disappear. Now, no matter what spills on those two garage floors, it just wipes right up and, leaves no stain.
Scott

Pic 1 is the before. 2 & 3 are after.

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote