Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
If a Candian buys a motorhome with a trade in from the USA, is the GST at the border charged on the whole amount of new unit or just the difference between trade in unit and new unit?

Thankyou

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If a Candian buys a motorhome with a trade in from the USA, is the GST at the border charged on the whole amount of new unit or just the difference between trade in unit and new unit?

Thankyou

Steve

Old 01-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

I would suggest you PM iRV2 member "Lug Nut" as he has gone through this with the purchase of his Newmar coach...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #4

LazyDays in Sefner Florida sells quite a few coaches to Canadians and should be able to accurately advise you on what is involved.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #5

I would believe that the GST will be charged on the full amount as the trade is being done in the US and they would have no way and no interest in confirming the value of the trade.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It seems you are right that the gst is charged on the whole amount.
With the dollar almost par in both countries its no cheaper to buy south of the border if you have a trade in.

My parents are purchasing a rig in Florida coincidently from Lazy Days Neil and the Gst is going to break the deal unfortunately.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Just stumbled upon this thread but thought I'd offer my 2 cents ...

I don't know what motorhomes you guys are buying but if it's built in North America (like the vast majority of MHs), no GST is paid. You will pay PST when you register it in Canada but you pay that for a unit you buy in Canada anyway ... You do have to be careful where you buy it, some states (e.g. FL) may want you to pay state taxes even if you are not registering there.

As far as if you pay tax on the full amount, I'd check with the DMV and Canadian Border Services but I'd actually be surprised if you don't pay PST only on the difference between your trade and the new purchase price. That being said, you're probably still much better off simply selling in Canada since you'll probably get a lot more for it then you would trading it in in the US.

Correction

oops, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote above but you do pay the GST (it's the duty that is exempt for NorthAmerican vehicles). Sorry about the confusion (I still don't know why I thought it was GST )
Old 06-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #8

I am not sure if you live in Canada, but if you are right I am going to sue the Canadian government for the $4,000 they charged me when I bought my MH.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ottawa:
I am not sure if you live in Canada, but if you are right I am going to sue the Canadian government for the $4,000 they charged me when I bought my MH. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, my mistake - you're absolutely right, you have to pay GST on US imports (as corrected above, I was having a brain lapse moment and confusing GST for duty ...)
Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #10

Normally selling your old unit in Canada would get you top dollar. Not so in today's marketplace. Big Iron is not moving! Trading at Lazy Days or anywhere else may still be the best option. The GST is only 5%. If your trade is worth say $90,000 you would only forgo $4500. The Canadian dealers would rape you for far more than that!!!

moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote