Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #29

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave1949:
Gary

Thank's for all the advice. Here's my current game plan. First install a Supersteer Rear Track Bar and evaluate it's effect on handling. Second step would be to install Supersteer Bell cranks on Front End and re-aline. Third if needed would be a front Track bar either a Davis or Supersteer unit.
I'm thinking about installing the rear Track bar myself if the U bolts don't need to be replaced it looks pretty straight foreward and I have the tools to do it. The bell Cranks I would most likely have done probably at Campers World. I'm not comfortable messing with steering components the saving is not worth the risk. Again any advice or critiques of this plan are welcome. Our Fiesta is built on a Workhouse P32 chasis and appears to have a factory rear antisway bar maybe 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter.

Again I can't tell you all how helpful your advice has been we are very grateful .

Best Regards
Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just before our trip (4000 Miles) to the SW I installed all of what your about to install. (Same Chassis)
Supersteer Rear Track Bar - Did myself, couldn't tell the difference.
Supersteer Bell Cranks - I had them replaced because the originals were worn, but I wouldn't do it on a "just because reason".
Front Track Bar - Not installed
Supersteer Unit - WOW! Definitely helped the steering. Better control of steering, before there was more play.
Front Sway Brace - Best investment of all!! Along with replacing the rear bushings. (Roadmaster)
WIND - Nasty event for some motorhomes, We have a 28' HR. We were driving south of Ganado, AZ, just filled with fuel. Travelling at 60mph and all of a sudden we were hit with so much side wide that the motorhome was thrown into the oncoming lane. I was cranking the steering wheel hard right but nothing was happening for 3 seconds. I slowed down to 45mph which helped considerably. We were enroute to El Paso, Tucson, Yuma, Vegas. We had wind all the way. If your white knuckled - slowing down will help. The $4K was worth every penny. The Sway Brace made the biggest change.
David

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:08 AM   #30

Here is another idea for stabalizing in cross winds. Air Tabs on the rear of the MH reduces the partial vacuum which improves fuel economy by 2-4% according the the manufacturer. It reduces the effect of cross winds as well. I installed mine last fall and like them. My MH did well in cross winds before hand so I can't give any quantitative results. I believe Air Tabs are a good idea and I am glad I have them. A number of owners are installing them and a lot of recent discussion on Air Tabs is found on rv.net.

Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #31

The adventure continues. We had a SuperSteer rear track bar installed on Thursday at Campers World in Mesa AZ. On Friday we headed out across NM with the winds howling and gusts again up to 30MPH. What a difference the track bar makes the coach doesn't lean as much and it doesn't head for the ditch every time a truck blows by at 75MPH. Now we get a little sideways push when a passing truck cab comes parallel with the front of the coach and some pull as the rearend passes by, but it's predictable and we now feel more "in control". Steering is more controled and the coach just feels tighter. After six hours of driving in constant windy conditions with both my wife and I driving neither of us felt like we had been beat up like we did before. The techs at Campers World checked the front coil springs and airbags and they're fine but the bell cranks are both loose the right side more so that the left. We will replace them next but don't feel we have to do it. Can someone help explain just what the steering damper (looks like a small shock) does and how it affects handling? The advise and suggestions we have gotten are much appreciated and we thank everyone that has replied to our orginal post. Air Tabs were suggested and make some sense but they seem to be questioned by many both here and on other forums.

Thanks again
Old 05-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Dave1949,
I think the steering damper (small shock absorber) you are refering to is a steering stablizer. Several manufacturers make them. Depending you your front axle (straight or independent) your choices may be limited. I like these and have had one on every coach I have owned. When considering a steering stablizer, the feature that has now become a must have (for me) is the unit must be re-centerable by the driver. Being able to recenter the unit really takes the work out of driving in a cross wind, all day long.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #33

Gary- What do you mean by "re-centerable by the driver"?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rick,
This is when there is a cross wind hitting the coach. One can recenter the steering stablizer so the driver is not having to turn into the cross wind to keep the coach straight. Different manufacturers work differently. Go here to see the SuperSteer offering. Click on the picture of the catalog to enter the catalog. Scroll down about 1/3 of the way and look for the SuperSteer Trim unit.

During a cross wind, being able to let the steering stablizer keep the coach straight is a big + when it comes to driver fatigue.

My Howard System has this feature. Unfortunately, Howard has gone out of business. If I was to make this purchase today, I'd go with the SuperSteer Brand.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Many vehicles have a steering damper on them from the factory. Although it does some of the same thing, a steering stabilizer like many put on after-market is much more than just a damper that helps take out the "bumps" of hitting holes, etc in the roadway. An OEM damper would not be adjustable on the fly like a steering stabilizer package might be.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:07 AM   #36

Gary

It's been a while since my last post and I thought it would be helpful to others to update the results of the improvements we've made to our rig. We added a Supersteer rear track bar while in Arizona . In McAllen TX new SS Bell Cranks and had the rig aligned. This made a very noticeable improvement in handling and tightened up the steering. No more see/saw steering . But we were still getting excessive body roll and poor/punishing ride so when we got back to the Cleveland area I took the rig to a Supersteer approved RPA shop in town. At their and others recommendation we had new Koni's installed and replaced the rear swaybar bushings with Polyurethane. We already had poly on the front swaybar bushings. WE just returned from a 1200 Mile trip to the upper Michigan Peninsula which was our first outing since the Koni's and bushing were done. The ride improvment with the Koni's is unbelievable the damping is there but the harsh ride and road noise is gone. Also gone is the side to side sway and you can feel the rear swaybar take hold when you take a curve and also when going in and out of uneven driveways which used to rock the coach a lot. This has not been an inexpensive journey but we consider it well worth the price. My wife now wants to drive and we both find driving to now be fun rather than scary. No more getting blown onto the berm from passing trucks now just a slight tug at the wheel. Wind is much less of a problem and even in gusty conditions, which we encountered in Michigan the rig feels solid and wind correction is positive and predictable. We think we are now done with Steering and suspension improvments. I have to say the help we've gotten here and on other RV forums has been invaluable and is very much appreciated. Hope this update helps anyone considering similar issues.

Dave And Becky
Old 07-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see the aftermarket purchases are working. You are correct on the point about this being an expensive journey. However, when the end of the road is reached and the coach now handles the way it should, it was all worth it.