Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #15
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Davis-Tru-Trac on mine along with air bags on the rear. My shocks are monroe. I keep constant eye on tire inflation and adjust the air bag fill depending on the load balance and have next to no issues. To me it drives great.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:26 AM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Koni shocks and the henderson lineup. Go to them, they will test drive your rig, and give you suggestions from there!

Lenny and Chrissy

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
blacktie.shooter.....All the information above is accurate, but expensive. When I bought my Fleetwood Jamboree with the Ford chassis I couldn't afford alot of those items. I did a couple of things that were inexpensive and made my coach handle very well.

1) I purchased a steering shock from Pep Boys and made my own brackets to attach it to the drag link and frame. The drag link only required a u-bolt for attachment. The frame required a small bracket that I made and welded on.

2) On the rear, Ford uses a shock with a stud at the top and secures it by inserting it through a hole in the frame. There was enough room to drill a hole next to it and insert a second shock. At the bottom, they run a bolt horizontally through a bracket on the rearend and through the shock. I bought a longer bolt and mounted the shocks so that a shock was on each side of the bracket.

The double shocking of the rearend eliminated my sway and almost completely eliminated the side to side rocking when exiting driveways.

The front steering shock made the coach easier to drive. I drove that coach for 14 years with those two additions and it always drove well. 50% of the time I was towing a 4500 pound boat and never had any ill effects.

If you can afford the above equipment or you're not handy, ignore this.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Improving the Ride

We just purchased a 32' Itasca 2002 Suncruiser Class A gas. We use it for family weekend trips (have two small children) and do nto tow. The sway is the biggest issue, we are putting new tires on and getting the alignment. I have heard that shocks won't make that much of a differnec for a smaller unit.

Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Jim mentioned two of the must do items before after market remedies are tried.
1. Determine the weight on each wheel, axle and total coach.
2. Get the tire pressure correct for the weight being carried.
3. Ensure all suspension parts are functioning correctly. No loose or worn parts or joints.
4. Two axle alignment, by a very repudable shop with the modern laser equipment.

The first after market product I would try is a suspension improvement. Go here to see some suggestions. I do not know your chassis. Call the Super Steer folks at 888-898-3281 PT. Tell them about your concerns and chassis make. They can advise you of your choices. I always felt if I could stop the coach weight shift on the chassis, the steering would improve and the rock and roll would be reduced or eliminated. For my chassis, the air bag restrictors were a miracle. The improvement was immediate and dramatic. It was like having a completely different coach.

The second aftermarket product that might help is a steering stablizer. The one I like is also by Super Steer. Go here to see the write up. I got the Howard System because Super Steer was not available for my chassis. If it had been available I would have purchased the Safe-T-Plus system, with the trim feature. The important thing to remember about this stablizer is it can be recentered by the driver, on the fly. Go here to read about the trim unit. Being able to trim the steering unit on the fly is a very valuable feature. On days where the cross wind is pushing you all day long, you will bless the day you got the trim feature.

The third/fourth item(s) is/are an anti sway bar and a track bar for the rear axle. There are many different brands to choose from. I have the IPD Brand (now Roadmaster).

I recommend the Supersteer company because I like their products very much. Their products have a good reputation. The company has a full line of products for most chassis'. Many of these products are invented by the company.

Consider doing one thing at a time. Then you will know how much each item helped your coach. Also, you may not need all the products. This would get your coach the way you want it and not spend any more $s than necessary.

Good luck and post any questions you have.
MLoukides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #19
i replaced old shocks with koni fsd and had a front end alignment-rides and handled great. I moved and balanced gear to ride closer to the axles-light gear in the rear...balance the weight..I was considering a track bar..I don't think I will need any other resouce at this point. the KONI shocks and the front end allignment took care of my problem..2003 pace arrow 36B work horse 22
kennyd37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #20
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by kennyd37 View Post
..... the KONI shocks and the front end alignment took care of my problem..2003 pace arrow 36B work horse 22
I would not disagree with that assessment one bit. Ruling out a good front end alignment cures a number of problems. The Konis make the ride enjoyment significantly better.

DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote