Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #15

Improving safety of motorhomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider1520 View Post
How about we start with air bags for the driver and p[assenger of Class A's!

In my A, rear passengers (who usually will NOT wear any restraint) would need side airbags (they face the driver side windows) that opened from 6 feet away, for the co-pilot front bags would need about 4 feet. Side bags would also be a costly challenge. Not feasible me thinks.
Perhaps airbag suits?

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
PLEASE don't give the idjuts in gooberment ANY ideas...

While the driver is the biggest safety feature (or not!)
I do not agree in "one person's idea is right for all"logic, we have enough of those edicts now.

I've not had a wreck in a very, VERY long time...
and oppose any more EPA like mandates...
self driving cars will never be feasible (famous last words !)

I grew up on motorcycles and guess I still drive defensively
Now that doesn't mean I am slow or holding up traffic, just the opposite, I am aware of my surroundings and plan accordingly.

In these big things we are usually above the fray, but being in the right on a motorcycle doesn't help you, you are still dead :(

Old 02-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
I like the idea of air bags and roll bars. and 3 point belts in more than just driver and passenger seats up front. (considering I would imagine most MHs are really just thin wood frames wrapped in fiberglass or aluminum or something and will crack open like an eggshell if you roll the thing)
Our rig has three point belts for the driver and passenger, only place suitable for others is the side couch which has two lap belts.
Frame and superstructure are welded steel, which SHOULD be safer then most BUT it comes with a high price too, more weight and expense.
How safe can we pay for?
As one said, only 1% of accidents involve an RV.
And like above, I rode motorcycles for many years, went to racing them where it was safer!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #18

To be "safer" in your car, you can do any of the following, but you won't because they are "inconvenient" and add cost (incremental to the safety added).

Turn off your flipping cell phone................free

Spend $3,500 for an high end racing school / performance driving program. Yes, it will apply to driving your car on the street and driving your RV. Understanding vehicle dynamics and improving your car control skills will allow you to make much smarter decisions driving anything. The more time you spend doing high performance driving / racing school programs, the better driver on the street you will be. I have over 5,000 track miles across a wide array of racing schools and high performance driving programs........

Spend $200-$500 for a high quality helmet (yes, you'll get looks from other drivers, but you will know the joke is on them); motorcyclists and bike riders wear them, why not people in cars? And no, I do not wear a helmet driving my car on the street......
$8,000-$10,000 you can get a "bolt in" roll bar in your car, plus harnesses, HANS device, plus a helmet.
For an incremental $5000-$8000 to the above, you can proably get a pretty decent welded in full cage installed in your car.
A fire suppression system proably is another $1,000 or so.....
Each option adds incremental safety at various price points, but some trade offs for convieience

Obviously, that list could be applied to a MH too, but the roll bar / cage costs would be significantly more (3X, 5X?). You'll also need to give up some visibility, because that huge window opening in the front of a ClassA is going to have to be closed up a lot for structural integrity.

Or, give me a dozen engineers from a couple of top F1 teams, a lot of Carbon Fiber, and a huge autoclave, and I'll build you a 30' ClassA that you can run into a Jersey barrier at 150mph, roll over, flip end over end, and you can walk away from. My guess, $5M+ just for the coach shell given some sort of reasonable unit volume (Maybe even $10M or more, who knows, but in any case it is going to make the price of a new 45' Prevost / Newell look real cheap.....).

So anyone signing up for any of the options?
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Or, give me a dozen engineers from a couple of top F1 teams, a lot of Carbon Fiber, and a huge autoclave, and I'll build you a 30' ClassA that you can run into a Jersey barrier at 150mph, roll over, flip end over end, and you can walk away from. My guess, $5M+ just for the coach shell given some sort of reasonable unit volume (Maybe even $10M or more, who knows, but in any case it is going to make the price of a new 45' Prevost / Newell look real cheap.....).

Money not to mention design and axle weight limitations that could stir the cost even more. The industry will cater to the demand, safety will be second to the comfort items most every time. Consumers desire lower cost, industry will oblige to the edge of the liability line to give the consumer what they want! Is safety the leading buying motive by the consumer?
Old 03-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #20

The greatest single factor in most traffic accidents is human error. That is not something that can be legislated, nor can you rely on any technology to replace it. No safety item would have saved these people. The accident was too horrific.

When I'm on the road with my toad I weigh close to 50,000 lbs. It is not a toy, I do not sit there distracted by idle conversations or enjoying the scenery. I concentrate on my driving. When my family is with me, it's precious cargo, and I'm not gonna let anything put them in harms way. Especially me.

Let's encourage our drivers to be road smart!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
To be "safer" in your car, you can do any of the following, but you won't because they are "inconvenient" and add cost (incremental to the safety added).

Turn off your flipping cell phone................free

Spend $3,500 for an high end racing school / performance driving program. Yes, it will apply to driving your car on the street and driving your RV. Understanding vehicle dynamics and improving your car control skills will allow you to make much smarter decisions driving anything. The more time you spend doing high performance driving / racing school programs, the better driver on the street you will be. I have over 5,000 track miles across a wide array of racing schools and high performance driving programs........

Spend $200-$500 for a high quality helmet (yes, you'll get looks from other drivers, but you will know the joke is on them); motorcyclists and bike riders wear them, why not people in cars? And no, I do not wear a helmet driving my car on the street......
$8,000-$10,000 you can get a "bolt in" roll bar in your car, plus harnesses, HANS device, plus a helmet.
For an incremental $5000-$8000 to the above, you can proably get a pretty decent welded in full cage installed in your car.
A fire suppression system proably is another $1,000 or so.....
Each option adds incremental safety at various price points, but some trade offs for convieience

Obviously, that list could be applied to a MH too, but the roll bar / cage costs would be significantly more (3X, 5X?). You'll also need to give up some visibility, because that huge window opening in the front of a ClassA is going to have to be closed up a lot for structural integrity.

GEEEZ, And I thought that I went overboard when I spent $100.00 on roll cage tubing,and spent 8 hours to weld and fit it, to make a front bumper/cow catcher behind my front cap. Driving school is a good idea for anyone,roads would be a bit safer....

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes, safety