Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My RV uses the TV speakers for audio of the TV.

The RV does have six speakers in the ceiling which are used for the radio system.

I would like to improve the audio balance from front to rear while using the TV. The person in front of the RV has to listen to the TV louder if the person sitting farther back wants to hear it.

A) One option would be to hook up the TV audio output to one of the radios auxiliary input channels and use the radio system audio for the TV audio. That way one might be able to use the 'fade' functions to balance the TV audio. However, the radio would have to be powered on, which uses chassis power. Not ideal, but workable if I make sure shore power is going to charge the chassis battery.

B) Having never messed about with the wiring in this motor home, I'm wary of what I might be getting into (if it is even possible) if I hook up a traditional audio amplifier (or even a small home theater kind of system) to the exiting speakers in the ceiling.

I would like to hear about what others have done to improve the TV system audio of their RVs.

Thanks...

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My RV uses the TV speakers for audio of the TV.

The RV does have six speakers in the ceiling which are used for the radio system.

I would like to improve the audio balance from front to rear while using the TV. The person in front of the RV has to listen to the TV louder if the person sitting farther back wants to hear it.

A) One option would be to hook up the TV audio output to one of the radios auxiliary input channels and use the radio system audio for the TV audio. That way one might be able to use the 'fade' functions to balance the TV audio. However, the radio would have to be powered on, which uses chassis power. Not ideal, but workable if I make sure shore power is going to charge the chassis battery.

B) Having never messed about with the wiring in this motor home, I'm wary of what I might be getting into (if it is even possible) if I hook up a traditional audio amplifier (or even a small home theater kind of system) to the exiting speakers in the ceiling.

I would like to hear about what others have done to improve the TV system audio of their RVs.

Thanks...

The Hamptons
2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 09-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would be surprised if Monaco doesn't already have the TV sound wired into those speakers somehow. On Winnebago coaches, switching to the external speakers requires different things on different coaches. On my '03 Winnebago Ultimate, it is a rocker switch hidden back on the side wall of an overhead cabinet -- basically switches the surround system between the dash radio (which has no other speaker) or the front TV (which uses it's internal speakers if not on surround sound). Before ripping into wiring, I would be talking to Monaco customer service to see what they could tell me about the system.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #4

Wally, have you considered going to a professional automotive audio sound store and perhaps having them install a surround sound system in your coach?

Our coach came with the Sony STR DE435 A/V Control Center with 5.1 channel in and Dolby Pro Logic digital surround sound.

It includes front, rear and center channel speakers and sub-woofer.

The control center handles input from TV, DVD/CD player or the AM & FM tuner. The sound is awesome.

The A/V control center is powered either by shore power or a small inverter which runs off the coach batteries.

You have a super nice coach and if you have room in one of your overhead cabinets you could could probably have a similar system installed.

The only unknown would be the cost factor.

Best of luck with whichever rout you go,

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Paul & Jim,

Paul, in intend to chat with both the dealer and manufacturer. I am pretty sure there are no connections that I have missed, there may be wiring that was not hooked up or left for the owner to use at their choosing, but it is not documented anywhere that I can find.

Jim, having a professional install something will definitely be an alternative explored.

The Hamptons
2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 09-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #6

wally, on our beaver (monaco) the dash radio was already connected to the front tv. switch the input to aux. and we have the tv audio thru the ceiling speakers. after upgrading our tv's to lcd's we also upgraded our in dash stereo. better speakers, sub woofer etc. the ceiling speakers that are in the bedroom were converted for use with bed. lcd. great bedroom sound! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wally....double check the operation of your system. If you have the Magnadyne Stereo (piece of junk), Monaco usually has the TV surround built in. You have to turn it to another audio function to get it to work.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hooking up ceiling speakers to TV

Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote