Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #1

In search of LPG fitting

Recently I came across a post somewhere that gave a name to a kind of propane fitting but I lost track of the post. The fitting is meant to join two sections of tubing and is designed to be surface mounted. It has screw holes for that purpose. I believe the fitting shown in the post I saw was a right angle fitting.

What I'm hoping to find is a surface mount fitting that is a 3/8 male threaded flare on one end to receive the LP supply via copper tubing and a quick connect on the other end, and that also incorporates a shutoff valve. The quick connect end will deliver the LP to my Olympian Wave 3 catalytic beats via rubber hose which I will disconnect and stow away while traveling. Has anybody seen such a fitting, one similar or know what it is called?

Thanks.
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try going to a plumbing store that carries gas fittings, explain what you want.
They should be able to fix you up.
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #3

Drop Ear Elbow On Anderson Metals Corp., Inc.

Try the link above. It could be half of what you're looking for. If you can find a quick disconnect for use with LPG, put the 2 together and you're set.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Drop Ear Elbow On Anderson Metals Corp., Inc. Try the link above. It could be half of what you're looking for. If you can find a quick disconnect for use with LPG, put the 2 together and you're set.
Actually, it would be 1/3 of what I'm looking for, not 1/2: 1) surface mount right angle, 2) quick connect, 3) shut-off valve.

It's a step in the right direction so thank you!

Drop ear elbow... Who comes up with these names? Hahah.
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoRuss View Post
What I'm hoping to find is a surface mount fitting that is a 3/8 male threaded flare on one end to receive the LP supply via copper tubing and a quick connect on the other end, and that also incorporates a shutoff valve. The quick connect end will deliver the LP to my Olympian Wave 3 catalytic beats via rubber hose which I will disconnect and stow away while traveling. Has anybody seen such a fitting, one similar or know what it is called?

Thanks.
PhotoRuss
Any LP gas distributor/dealer that works on/repairs LPG systems should have the fittings you're looking for.
A web search for "propane gas service" will locate one near you.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #6

Thanks. I'll check around.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
PhotoRuss
Any LP gas distributor/dealer that works on/repairs LPG systems should have the fittings you're looking for.
A web search for "propane gas service" will locate one near you.

Mel
'96 Safari
OK. I've now spent about an hour searching Google for someplace that sells LP gas fittings in my area. No luck. It may be due, in part, to the fact that I live in a rather urban area. It's not difficult to find a place that will fill your propane tank, but finding a good assortment of fittings is another matter.

Home Depot has some and I picked up a 3/8" flare T fitting with which to tap into my LP line and create the new line to my heater, and they also had the 3/8" flare nuts, so I'm set in that department. Neither Home Depot, Lowes or Orchard Supply Hardware had anything in the way of a surface mountable, 3/8 shutoff/quick connect. Nor have I been able to find something like that anywhere online. Maybe they aren't made. The closest I've come is the fitting from propaneproducts.com in the included photo but it is 1/4", not 3/8, and there is no means by which it can be anchored to the wall in my RV. I could get a step-up adapter from 1/4 to 3/8 but that would still leave me with the problem of anchoring the fittings.

Any thoughts or ideas to assist would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #8

That ball valve does not look like it's gas approved. Be sure the valve says for gas. Also, why not install a Marshall extend stay tee in your line and find and just run the hose, to the tee and disconnect and cap the line when not needed. I have one to use a propane bottle on my rig, it has a hook up for a gas grill fitting also...You will need a regulator between the extend a stay and your heaters. The extend a stay goes between the tank valve and regulator...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
That ball valve does not look like it's gas approved. Be sure the valve says for gas. Also, why not install a Marshall extend stay tee in your line and find and just run the hose, to the tee and disconnect and cap the line when not needed. I have one to use a propane bottle on my rig, it has a hook up for a gas grill fitting also...You will need a regulator between the extend a stay and your heaters. The extend a stay goes between the tank valve and regulator...
It's a good thought to make sure the valve is propane approved. Thanks. Other than the vendor's word how can I tell?

As to the extend-a-stay, isn't the purpose of those to allow the connection of an auxiliary tank? I don't want an additional tank and I'm not sure if using one without a second tank would allow me to hook up the heater. Plus, I don't want to route a hose from outside to inside. I think it would be cumbersome having to deal with that all the time. Thanks for the thought, though.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's a company I bought a bunch of stuff from, when I was redoing my gas grill with extended hose Tejassmoker. Hope this helps
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post
Here's a company I bought a bunch of stuff from, when I was redoing my gas grill with extended hose Tejassmoker. Hope this helps

Thanks. I've already been there.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Last chance, have you tried a company called McMaster-Carr. They surely have a lot of variety of industrial type fittings. If it's made they would have it. Here again happy hunting !
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
KIX

Use the drop ear elbow as suggested in post 3 and this valve Hansen, MB Sturgis 250 Low Pressure Quick Connect Socket
Connect them together with a brass close nipple.
Buy the male part of the quick connect to match.
You're not going to find the 3 parts you need in a "one piece" fitting.
You have a flaring tool for flaring your copper tubing? I think it will be a 45 degree flare.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post
Last chance, have you tried a company called McMaster-Carr. They surely have a lot of variety of industrial type fittings. If it's made they would have it. Here again happy hunting !
I sent them an email. Thanks.