Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #1

Indiana fuel stops

We have traveled every year into IN in order to visit family. I have always been aware that commercial trucks pay their fuel tax separately and not at the pump so that many times we paid more than the roadside sign said diesel should sell for. This was not a big deal for us as the clerk simply added the non commercial price to the final tab when we were finished fueling.

Today, we stopped at three separate truck stops (between Cincinnati and Indianapolis) for diesel. All of the truck island pumps were marked "exempt trucks only" and clerks claimed they could not sell us diesel - we would have to go to the car islands. A manager claimed they had to change procedures and stop allowing non commercial diesel at the commercial pumps due to a state crackdown. We are only 55' (35'+towd) so we were able to maneuver into one of the front islands for fuel - not very convenient but we had to have fuel.

I guess from now on we will have to plan our trips to join those that avoid fueling in IN as much as possible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Haven't been to Indiana for a year, so haven't run into that. What brand stations were these? All the same or different ones?

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jzick,
I was in Indiana for quite some time this summer. Got fuel for the coach two times. I stop only at PFJ stations and fuel at the truck islands. Never had a problem. When in Indiana, try PFJ stations, if they are near where your travels take you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Haven't been to Indiana for a year, so haven't run into that. What brand stations were these? All the same or different ones?
I was at a Pilot/FJ today (I75 exit 36 North of Cincinnati) getting my coach weighed and I walked past the truck pumps and I saw 1 RV and 2 non-commercial trucks fueling, no signs saying no non-commercial service.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
They are 21 PFJ stations in Indiana. And some of them have a RV lane to fuel at.
At Indy I-465 Exit 4 they have 2 RV Lanes. Easy in & out.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This topic is really timely. I was at a Love's in Chandler, AZ today and they are the same way. Only Truckers in the truck lanes and they pay the State Road Tax. Up front with the car pumps are two lanes for RV's and Racing fuel (The station is near the speedway). The RV pumps are .08 cheaper than the truck pumps. I had never heard of that before, so it looks like it is in some other parts of the country. Something to watch out for.
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #7

Last year we fueled up outside of Indianapolis and I didn't see any signs saying the pumps were for commercial use only. We filled up, went inside to pay and was asked for our tax ID number, which I don't have. I'm not sure how the clerk finalized the transaction as I didn't ask, but she didn't charge me the tax and sent me on my way. Saved like .22 cents a gallon but surely didn't intend to.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
What brand stations were these? All the same or different ones?
One was a Petro (St. Maurice), one a Love's (St. Paul) and the other an independent that I do not remember the name. I guess I was just totally in surprise mode as we have stopped at the same truck stops in the past with no problems.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
In Indiana, I normally use non truck stop stations which carry diesel. Meijers grocery stores, Wal-Marts which have fuel and many of the newer stations have sufficient room for me to maneuver through and refuel safely with the toad attached. You must be able to determine if there is enough room for you before you enter the station.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
This is an article from Apex Capital, OTR trucking, freight and fuel newsletter. Apparently if your are not commercial you can no longer use the truck pumps....
Indiana Sales Tax Affects Fuel Prices

A 15-year-old Indiana State sales tax law is now being enforced. In the past, the State of Indiana required TA and Petro to post signs at the diesel pump stating, “Trucks Only” in order to exempt diesel transactions from the 7% sales tax. The State of Indiana has recently fined an Indiana TA truck stop for not requiring exemption certificates from all its exempt customers. The fine is in excess of $200,000 per location. This fine may impact your pricing and discounts in Indiana. We want to make sure all of our carrier clients are aware of the pricing and are running in accordance to state laws.

More here::Indiana Sales Tax | ApexCapitalCorp.com
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I filled up at the truck pumps in Indiana with no problem EXCEPT I then had the sales tax added to the cost. Didn't realize it until I looked at the receipt. They may not always tell you that like in Arizona.The same thing fill up and add the sales tax. Buyer beware.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #12

I have always filled at the Truck pumps because of the limited room to pull into the pumps out front where the cars fill up. I guess I need to figure out how the get in and out without hitting something. My DW has medical issues that, at times, prevents her from getting out and watching where I am driving.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Use the RV pumps at a Flying J. If my wife can drive our 44' in the the toad behind then anyone should be able to do it. The only thing you have to watch for is the cars backing out of the spot in front of the building. They NEVER look first.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #14

Think of all the things you can do while adding 150+ gal. of go-juice from that teensie-weensie little nozzle! You could... dump the tanks, check air in all tires, check the oil, wash ALL the windows (toad included) and walk the dog - two in my case. All with time left to spare before the nozzle shuts off. BTW, run in the store and prepay so the pump doesn't shut off at $150 - interrupting the aforementioned list.

OR

Fuel at the truck pumps in any neighboring state and roll right through Indiana.

Just a thought,
Jerry

Tags
fuel