Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #1

Indiana Registration Excise Tax

For the Indiana residents who own RVs. How bad are the excise taxes each year when you renew license plates registration?
RainHurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #2

It's ugly.

It depends on the purchase price & what it is but it take a bite out of the wallet. If you go to the IN DMV website, you might be able to get an estimated price.

Our 2011 35' Ventana is over $1000 for renewal for 2016.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
It's ugly.

It depends on the purchase price & what it is but it take a bite out of the wallet. If you go to the IN DMV website, you might be able to get an estimated price.

Makes me glad I left Brownsburg for Georgia.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #4

New or used? On my 2005 excise was $33 total like $60
Old 10-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
Makes me glad I left Brownsburg for Georgia.
I hate to tell you Georgia is no better, just bought my new tag $1,200 plus a extra weight tax of $100 that our go governor did to us. I would imagine Fulton county would be a lot higher.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #6

I own a 2006Winnebago Journey 36G that had an original MSRP of $206,000 when new. In addition to paying a 6% (now 7%) sales tax based on the actual purchase price at purchase, now each year Indiana charges it annual personal property tax fee through the license plate registration process. Prior to the change over, each owner was supposed to annually file a separate personal property tax return with their local township or county taxing authority with the tax based on the FMV of the motor home as determined by the dealer’s “blackbook” pricing service or other professional valuation service in the year following ownership as of February 26th. Since I purchased my motor home on March 6, 2006, I did not owe the tax until the completion of the 2007 tax year, which was paid in 2008. In my case, the township where I stored the motor home did check with the storage facility and I received a call from the taxing authority inquiring if I had in fact filed the necessary tax return with the county and paid the tax in 2008. With the change in the law, they now automatically assess the tax based on a standard depreciation schedule with declining amounts each year. I have verified that they have assessed my tax on the right configuration of my coach. Now at the almost ten year mark, the fee has gotten to something almost reasonable.

My registration/taxfees have been as follows:
2008 2,006.19
2009 1,898.28 – last year of “old system”
2010 1,033.75
2011 850.75
2012 680.75
2013 468.75
2014 242.75
2015 123.75
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I hate to tell you Georgia is no better, just bought my new tag $1,200 plus a extra weight tax of $100 that our go governor did to us. I would imagine Fulton county would be a lot higher.
That is right, but good for me, I already had my coach when the law took effect. I have been here 30 years. I do not owe that big bill every year.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
It's ugly.

Very interesting question. Does anyone know if there is a website somewhere that compares the excise/property taxes or registration fees for RVs for the different states. I know there are for things like income and sales taxes, but haven't really seen a complete listing anywhere. I assume just about anywhere will be better than Taxachusetts, but this could be a factor in deciding what state would best serve as a base camp when we pick up part timing in a few years.
Boston Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainHurry View Post
For the Indiana residents who own RVs. How bad are the excise taxes each year when you renew license plates registration?
It cost me $2129 to register a new Thor Palazzo in 2015 in Indiana.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:57 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny, as a dealer in illinois, our tax form states that rv's and cargo trailers are tax exempt in Indiana as far as sales tax goes. Not sure if they still need to pay it when they get home but I though it might be so due to most being made in Indiana. Basically thinking Indiana was giving a break to those who supported one of its major industries.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:21 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Funny, as a dealer in illinois, our tax form states that rv's and cargo trailers are tax exempt in Indiana as far as sales tax goes.
Nope - not true.

Now you may not have to charge Illinois sales tax to an Indiana resident - but come on over and put plates your RV or trailer.

I moved to Indeeanner 30 years ago from New York State, which I thought was the land of taxes - not so - it's here in The Hoosier. When I went to register my car for plates after my move, thinking I moved to the "affordable" mid-west - NOT!!!!! What a sticker shock....... I had a late model car.

At one time good ol' Indeeanner charged personal property tax on your "dog"!! Yup - even Fido got taxed.

As earlier mentioned, the excise tax is in line with the value of the vehicle - the newer, the more expensive the excise tax, which is not sales tax. Now, let's talk about the "Wheel Tax".

g
Old 02-26-2016, 06:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Funny, as a dealer in illinois, our tax form states that rv's and cargo trailers are tax exempt in Indiana as far as sales tax goes. Not sure if they still need to pay it when they get home but I though it might be so due to most being made in Indiana. Basically thinking Indiana was giving a break to those who supported one of its major industries.
I don't think there is a designed break for other states. I bought my last truck across the river in KY. Came home and registered it, and I had to pay the 7% IN sales tax to get my plates. IN want to squeeze every last drop out of it's people.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #13

Paid 8% New York sales tax when I bought mine (in PA). After that I pay $70/year for registration (goes by weight). Car is around $35/year and the Harleys are $17/year. Property tax here in NY is only on land and buildings.

People say taxes are high in NY but I find them to be pretty much average compared to other places I'd choose to live.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #14

In Nevada we have no state income tax. Sales tax where i live is 6.875 and registration on our 2016 Phaeton was just over 4k. Traded in other mh so only paid sales tax on the differance. The registration is based on msrp not what its bought for. Had to write DMV a check for close to 11k. As much as i love this state we are looking at moving to a different state.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote