Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 10:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbyeats View Post
I have a 2009 HR Admiral 33 sfs gas coach that I paid $55k for four years ago. It’s got 24,000 miles. I’ve put about $20k into it and plan on keeping it for another ten years. I currently pay $100 per month to store it outside at a self storage place in a 10’ x 40’ space. The facility is secure but no support amenities at all. Not even water. Also I have coaches stored on either side of me so it’s a really tight fit. I have to pull the coach out just to open the slide and even opening the luggage compartments is tight.
I recently learned of a storage facility where I could store it inside in a 15’ x 38’ bay (my coach is 34 ft long) which is heated and also has 15 amp electrical (allows me to keep batteries charged and cool down fridge before embarking). The facility also has a dump station (which would be handy when returning from a trip as my wife invariably has to “go” on the way home) and an automated RV wash. The catch is, it’s $440 per month.
Is it worth it? My coach still looks good and I wax it twice a year. Will inside storage allow it to last another decade? How fast can I expect it to degrade if stored outside? I should mention I live in Philadelphia and have lithium batteries so having heated storage avoids the need to winterize.

Now you have me wondering......mine stays outdoors as well....and in the winter...I HATE looking at it covered in ice and snow and know its slowly deteriorating. I to live in the Philly area (Delaware County)...What is the name and location of the place you rented from for 375 ? I may consider it at least for the winter months. Thanks
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 04:26 AM   #16

We had our camper, and will also park our new Tiffin (in January) at a place that is covered, has electric at the site, and is in between other coaches (sides and back). The other great thing about this place is it has a dump station with water. We bypass the campgrounds (usually COE or State Parks) and dump at our storage place. Had our camper there for nearly 9 years, price started at $125 and ended at $175 about 7 months ago. The current price for a 40 foot spot is $180 (Augusta Georgia). Would not have the RV in the sun here in GA, temps in summer time easily get to triple digits. With electric, when it does get below freezing, we are close enough that we can turn on heat.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:57 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Indoor Storage Worth It?

Indoor space just become available near me, for a 16x50 14’door w/electric. $600. 50x32-$1200
Water and dump on site.
I would love to find just a covered space.
Is it worth it, not for my pocket book and the value of my coach.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:12 AM   #18

It is Heritage RV Storage in Leesport, PA just outside Reading. It’s a 65 mi drive for me but most of my camping trips are in that direction anyway.
wbyeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbyeats View Post
The catch is, it’s $440 per month.
Is it worth it?
Not in my opinion. I would either build a garage or find another place. In 10 years you will have thrown away over $50,000!
Old 08-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #20

There is a lot of convenience that comes with heated indoor storage, you can wash your rig less often, it keeps the interior and the exterior in better shape. Less maintance on the exterier and i can work on it over the winter.

I have had indoor storage for several years but this year I bought a storage condo, where i will own it.

Has a shower and bathroom too.

IMG_2599.jpg (295.3 KB)
Attachment Key
IMG_2601.jpg (341.7 KB)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	256918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2601.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	256919  

Name:	IMG_2599.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	256920  
Old 08-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #21

Florida Cooters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
I feel pretty good about my covered storage situation. I'm in central PA in a commercial lot that offers covered storage. This consists of a lean-to type covered area, with full sides at the back and open in the front. Each bay holds 2 units between support posts, and the length is about 40'. The site has a 20A duplex that is shared by the two units in that bay. Enough to do battery charging, and that's about all I need. The rate is $100/mo on an annual agreement. Higher if month-to-month. As my unit is less than 30', it keeps me out of most of the sun, rain and hail. All in all a pretty good deal, and only about a half hour from my house in Hershey.
gzvette61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stored our DP outdoors on a lot for the first few months. Then it was broken into and the electronics were stolen. After that moved to a more secure outdoor lot for a few months until our storage condo was built.

It’s actually cheaper than $440 per month and we own it! It’s heated with 50 A power, a shared dump station and a bathroom. I can work on the RV any time I like. Heck, I use it as my man cave.

Is it a sound financial decision? TBD. I can resell it and claim some equity when we ditch the RV life. But the convenience and peace of mind makes my life easier right now so I’m happy.
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #23

Nor'easters Club
I built a 60 x 42 pole building with 16’ ceilings. 50 amp, water, sewer and a bathroom. Propane overhead heater.
I enjoy all the benefits previously stated and am very glad I built it.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #24

RVs are just like airplanes. If I didn't have a hangar for my airplane(s), I wouldn't own them.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #25

Everything in barns or storage.

Unles in use.

88 classic Airstream
Ski boats
Pontoons
Some vehicles.
Motor Cycles
Etc.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #26

Indoor Storage Worth It?

We pay $475 per month to store indoors, heated in the Ohio winters. It is by far the best money we spend on the motor home.
I would never consider storing the coach outside. The long term damage done by Mother Nature can be unbelievable.
It’s not a financial decision. It’s a quality of long term care decision.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #27

Indoor obviously is much better for the coach, easier to work on the coach and is safer. I personally would not put our coach in outside storage for many reasons.

We had an indoor storage area, a 14' x 50', fully enclosed, 15amp, rollup door, good high security locking mechanism on the door, concrete everywhere, cameras everywhere, in Houston, TX, brand new facility for $260/mo. with no contract. We kept it there for 18 months before we went FT.

At $475/mo. that would of been out of our budget range. I'd go out a little further from town and find something cheaper.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
The first two motor homes we bought were both used. When we went shopping for our used motorhome , like most folks, we made a list of features that were most important to us like no pets, non smoking, etc. At the top of my list was "stored inside". In short, I was willing to pay more for a unit that didn't have faded paint or signs of sun damage. Although in my part of the country we rarely deal with freezing weather, the first two motor homes we bought came from areas with colder climate. When we looked at other units that had been stored outside, many times they showed signs of damage due to roof leaks. Sometimes this damage had been caused by storing the unit outside in freezing conditions where small crack have been opened from freezing water.

I have always paid to store my motor home inside. Considering the cost (and crazy depreciation) of a motor home today, I think inside storage its a good investment toward taking care of a very expensive asset. For most folks, it's likely the most expensive purchase they will make other than the price of their house.

A few years ago, My wife and I were on a trip out west and visited a community of dwellings that were basically garages for motorhomes connected to a small interior living space consisting of a bathroom and living area. They ranged from modest to "damn that's really nice". I really liked that idea and after returning home, did quite a bit of research on variations of this idea. I sold our "traditional house" and built a house that would hold a 45 foot bus IN THE GARAGE! (yes I do have the best wife in the world) It has full interior hookups, water, sewer and 50 amp service. The door of our motorhome opens directly into our house laundry room. We can keep all of the slides open and we are able to keep it climate controlled 24/7

Our plan is to half time (as opposed to Full time) when we retire in a few years. This house will serve as home base and allow us to store our most recent motor home INDOORS in a climate controlled area. We just purchased our first NEW motorhome and know that storing it inside will help preserve it for years to come. And I gotta tell you, it make a great man cave! lol....

SO, the longer answer to the question of "is it worth it to store your motorhome inside" for me is a resounding YES!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV garage 1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	257933   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV garage 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	257934  

Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags