RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #1

Indoor Storage Worth It?

I have a 2009 HR Admiral 33 sfs gas coach that I paid $55k for four years ago. Itís got 24,000 miles. Iíve put about $20k into it and plan on keeping it for another ten years. I currently pay $100 per month to store it outside at a self storage place in a 10í x 40í space. The facility is secure but no support amenities at all. Not even water. Also I have coaches stored on either side of me so itís a really tight fit. I have to pull the coach out just to open the slide and even opening the luggage compartments is tight.
I recently learned of a storage facility where I could store it inside in a 15í x 38í bay (my coach is 34 ft long) which is heated and also has 15 amp electrical (allows me to keep batteries charged and cool down fridge before embarking). The facility also has a dump station (which would be handy when returning from a trip as my wife invariably has to ďgoĒ on the way home) and an automated RV wash. The catch is, itís $440 per month.
Is it worth it? My coach still looks good and I wax it twice a year. Will inside storage allow it to last another decade? How fast can I expect it to degrade if stored outside? I should mention I live in Philadelphia and have lithium batteries so having heated storage avoids the need to winterize.

wbyeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #2

That's a tough question. I, too, stored my motorhome outside on a rental lot. I started paying $75 a month and stayed about 4 years until it rose to $110. In the four year timeframe, the exterior suffered in the sun, with decals cracking and peeling off. I'm sure the tires aged much faster, too. I think indoor storage is far superior, but would feel ripped off at those prices. A compromise would be a storage facility with covered parking. In my area, sun causes a lot more damage than wintertime temperatures. I finally bought a house with an RV garage and that has been a big blessing. I can even work on it without incurring the ire of storage lot management. Good luck in your decisions!

Old 08-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

At $340/month, in just a few years you could have a new paint job and a new set of tires paid for. In ten years, that's over $40,000. Make a nice down payment on a newer coach. Winterizing costs me about $10.00 and some of my time. From just a monetary point of view, I would leave it outside for now. Convenience is much more difficult to put a price on. If it is allowed in your neighborhood and you have the room, you could install a full hookup parking pad with a cover for a lot less.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Yesterday, where I live, it was 104 degrees and 121 heat index, so I love my indoor covered storage, with power. Inside the coach I have three fans and 20 one gallon jugs with the tops cut off full of water placed throughout the inside.

ybyeats....can you find cheaper storage outside the Phila area? I live in a smaller town and my storage is with a boat dealer and is $150 a month.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #5

We moved from outside to a storage garage we rent. Wonít go back the other way again.

Being in Ohio during the winter and the ice storms come through it is nice to know it is inside and we donít have to worry about it.

Yes it costs more but for us the peace of mind is well worth the extra expense.

Since they are individual units donít have to worry about someone accidentally hitting it either.

Being inside it stays warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer as well. Still have to winterize but it is nice to us.
Gumpster808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #6

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Yesterday, where I live, it was 104 degrees and 121 heat index, so I love my indoor covered storage, with power. Inside the coach I have three fans and 20 one gallon jugs with the tops cut off full of water placed throughout the inside.

ybyeats....can you find cheaper storage outside the Phila area? I live in a smaller town and my storage is with a boat dealer and is $150 a month.

Ok...I am a Commercial/Industrial HVAC tech...but you have lost me with the gallon jugs of water.

Are you adding humdity? Why not just get a humidifier?
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
This is a very individual decision. A lot depends on your financial situation and your level of obsessiveness with your coach. For some people it is a simple answer as they just can't afford indoor storage. For others (I assume including the OP), they can afford to pay it but it seems wasteful and hard to justify.

I had a very similar situation in Florida. I could store it outdoors for $100/mo or covered (not indoors) with power for $350. I opted for the covered storage for a number of reasons. The sun in Florida is terribly abusive, and combines with the heat and humidity to deteriorate things very quickly. Storing covered kept the coach in much better condition, lowered the maintenance, and improved the reliability and resale value. Storing plugged in made the batteries last longer and again improved their reliability. After 7 years of covered storage, I moved to a home with an RV garage and kept it indoors for the next three years. When I sold the 10 year old coach it still looked brand new and attracted a buyer immediately.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$440 a month??? I don't think I'd do that.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #9

There is no doubt that inside storage will help preserve your RV and would be very nice. Financially though it is not the best decision (always knowing though that an RV never really makes financial sense as it is always a depreciating asset that most have because of the joy it brings). If you invested the $340 difference and received an annual return of 6% you would have $57,000 at the end of 10 years. This is more than you paid for it. You could build your own shelter for this much, put the extra money to repairs or paint etc. The other advantages of a dump, water etc are great and would be priceless to some. Just all depends on where you want to put your money for what convenience.
Hoosier14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #10

So a quick update. I was able to find another facility a little further from home that I liked better for $375 per month. It is both heated in winter and cooled in summer and has 20 amp service, fresh water, a dump station, and an RV wash. I decided to pull the trigger. Some excellent points were made in the responses about there being no way to justify the cost. I know it makes more sense to save the money and just have the coach repainted in five years. But I just don’t feel comfortable letting the elements abuse her like that. I like the fact that I will now have a way to sanitize my fresh water tank before a trip and clean out my grey and black tanks on return. Also, I like being able to wash to coach before I put her away. They also include pest control inside the building which takes away that concern.
It’s only money.
wbyeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #11

You can't beet indoor storage. Being in a controlled environment it will prevent your RV from ageing and you should not have to exercise the generator .As for trying to justify a return on your investment , you don't have to. There is pretty much no return on the initial purchase anyway.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We only store our rig at an indoor facility.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #13

I live in the snow belt of northeast Ohio. For the last 5 years I have kept my rig in a cave north of Pittsburgh. This cave is an old limestone mine and the temperature is a constant 55 and the humidity is a constant 55%. Some folks worry about the humidity but I just load the rig up with humidity absorbers and drier sheets to keep it fresh. When I pull it out in the spring it looks and smells like the day I put it in. I see dozens of high end motor homes in there so I don't worry about the humidity. For 5 months with a 38 footer I think I pay about $380. There's hundreds if not a few thousand of units in there, the place is mammoth. There's everything in there from rv's, to boats to fair concession wagons. And a nice thing is if you want to take a trip somewhere in the middle of your 5 months, give them something like $25 and 48 hour notice and the will have your unit ready for you.
No winterizing and no exposure to nasty winter weather.
OHIOJERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:46 PM   #14

I built a RV size garage, 48x28x14 high in 2004 on my property after storing my first class A outside by my house for about 3 years.
Total cost was about $35k total including permits, driveway and engineering. I installed windows, walk doors, siding, painting and wiring myself.
Now, not everyone can do this. Either don't have the space or money, etc. Only about 40% is used for the RV. Rest is for workshop and storing toad and my truck. One of the best decisions I ever made. Storing outdoors tremendously ages every part of your RV. Fades the finish, rots the roof and tires, promotes rust and electrical problems, invites water intrusion problems and invites critters to chew on everything.
If you can afford the $$, pay the money to store it indoors. You won't regret it.

awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, indoor, storage