Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Inner dual valve stem cap removal tool

Here is my donation for the knowledge base

I could not reach the valve stem cap on the inner dual wheel to check the air pressure, neither could the 7 year old. Long nose pliers would turn it about 1/16th revolution at a time. GROAN

The correct removal and installation tool turned out to be a length of 5/16 fuel line hose forced over the valve cap with the long nosed pliers. When finished I used the same hose to reinstall the cap.

You just gotta be smarter than what you are working on.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It may be time to take it to a truck tire dealer and halve solid bent stems that you can easily access from out side dual.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
It may be time to take it to a truck tire dealer and halve solid bent stems that you can easily access from out side dual.
^ X2
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:20 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ya, get yourself some extensions put on there so that you can add air and possibly a set of TPMS.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #5

Mine came with 3" extenders but they were just to short to install my TPM so I installed these, 4" work great
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...nders-4-/31693
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Here is my donation for the knowledge base

I could not reach the valve stem cap on the inner dual wheel to check the air pressure, neither could the 7 year old. Long nose pliers would turn it about 1/16th revolution at a time. GROAN

The correct removal and installation tool turned out to be a length of 5/16 fuel line hose forced over the valve cap with the long nosed pliers. When finished I used the same hose to reinstall the cap.

You just gotta be smarter than what you are working on.
I admire your ingenuity. I use the same trick to get the spark plugs out of the holes and reinstall the new ones on one of my motorcycles.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #7

This summer I lost air pressure on an inside dual. I could not find a puncture. So, did the flexible valve extension leak? Was the tire valve defective? Did a balancing bead get temporarily caught in the tire valve?

What I did was….
  • Tossed the flexible valve extensions.
  • Replaced the tire valve with one that allowed me to use my tire gauge/fill nozzle without the need for flexible valve extension hoses.
  • Removed the balancing beads and balanced with external weights.
  • And finally a solution for you to consider, replaced the valve caps with this product >>> https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-V2B...alve+stem+caps
Old 03-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
Same here. Went to a truck tire shop to see about getting the longer valve stems installed. The tech I talked handed me 6 of these and said they are what a lot of trucks use so they can check/air up without having to remove them. The work great.

Regarding the flexible stainless steel extensions; On a previous MH I had these put on and when I rotated the tires a couple of years later, they were worn through the steel part and partially into the rubber inner liner. I chose to leave them off after that. I know lots of folks have and use them but that's just my experience.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #9

I have hex-head valve caps on the inner duals. I use a 1/4-inch drive socket, plus a long extension to reach the valve caps to remove and replace.

Wayne
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:32 AM   #10

Just a note, if you have chrome wheel covers you will need to remove them to access the valves. The hole through the actual wheel is larger than the hole on the covers. Also, get extensions for the valves. It will make it much easier to check the air pressure and you won't have to remove the covers.
lgcotton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal