Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Six of one half dozen the other-----we all have our stories and reasons.

Basically there is a lot of discomfort with braided valve extensions (although mine never blinked in 44,000 miles). So you want to get something solid, from rim to tip. I used dully valves based on reccomendations I read on this site. They work fine. They are not cheap, and I am not compulsively thrifty so we were a good match.

One tire guy told me any extension is bound to fail so he reccomended something completely solid, no joints or connection anywhere. That's his story, not mine. But I thought it over and got what I liked. Seemed reasonabler to me that a solid valve rim to tip is, er ah solid.

If my current tires do what my last ones did I will not be changing tire positions during their lifetime. I really wonder baring emergency how many people bother? Ten years and 46,000 miles and they looked new and had half their tread no uneven wear but I got new shoes anyway. You all know why. I ditched a perfectly good set of braideds then as well.

Even though they never failed I worried about them all the time.

If I do need to change tire positions it means a little more work for the installer to change them over. Borg reccommends you change the rubber gaskets at five years so it is a good time to swap tires if you are inclined, the valves are coming of anyway at that time.

Lots of good solutons to the braided extension take your pick.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The dually valves are outrageously pirced. You can buy metal valve stems on line for $5.00 - $10.00.

You can buy the rubber inserts to hold the stem in place or do what I did.

I used a piece of aluminum sheet metal and a grommet to support the stem from moving. The support is mounted between the duals to two of the wheel studs. Here's the template.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #17

Quote:
They are not cheap, and I am not compulsively thrifty so we were a good match.
njs42, what a great line. Describes me to a T. Can I steal it?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
njs42, what a great line. Describes me to a T. Can I steal it?

It's an honor; yours for the asking.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do the wheels mount flush to each other if you have this mounted between them at 2 studs?
It would seem that the outer wheels would run out of round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
The dually valves are outrageously pirced. You can buy metal valve stems on line for $5.00 - $10.00.

You can buy the rubber inserts to hold the stem in place or do what I did.

I used a piece of aluminum sheet metal and a grommet to support the stem from moving. The support is mounted between the duals to two of the wheel studs. Here's the template.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's a thin piece of aluminum sheet. It's less than .020 thick. 22.5 wheels don't even know it's there.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
All excellent ideas ! Thanks guys.

After much soul searching, and talking with almost every tire shop in town, I'm going to put another steel braided extension on them for now. I don't really have the money for the Borgs right now, all mentioned the problems with having a tire "dedicated" to a certain position, and I got a few recommendations on how to limit the chances of failure with the braided extensions. Basically, several shops think the extensions are failing becasue they are coming out of the wire hanger in the outer wheel, then just getting slung around on the road until they break. To limit this, I went with a set that has a nut on the outer edge of the extension which will keep it from sliding back through the hanger. I'll try this for now, but I've already made up my mind. If I have another failure, Borgs will go on before the rig moves another foot.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG
i run straight metal extensions on the inner duals and 135-degree bent ones on the outers. topped off with the tpms sensors, so far so good, and easy to air up if needed.
me too.

again, 4 short cheep 135 degree valve stems, pointed in the appropriate direction, and a pair of equally cheap 6" solid extensions screwed onto the inner duals. and do not forget your tpms sensors screwed onto the end of all of them!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just installed a set of Borg's Dually Valves. Seem to be an excellent product and made specifically for the application. Not cheap, to be sure, but I wanted to make it really simple to check pressures - so that I'd have no excuses for not doing it every time we start out. I did have to modify my wheel simulators a bit to allow clearance for the stems, but still worth it, IMHO.

I'm not too concerned about restricting the position of the wheels. We don't log a lot of miles each year, and I fully expect that we'll need to replace the tires due to age / safety before we would need to rotate them to equalize wear.

You can save a bit of money by buying your Dually Valves from www.sixrobblees.com. I don't think the product is listed on their site, but a phone call will handle that.

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
I just installed a set of Borg's Dually Valves. Seem to be an excellent product and made specifically for the application. Not cheap, to be sure, but I wanted to make it really simple to check pressures - so that I'd have no excuses for not doing it every time we start out. I did have to modify my wheel simulators a bit to allow clearance for the stems, but still worth it, IMHO.

I'm not too concerned about restricting the position of the wheels. We don't log a lot of miles each year, and I fully expect that we'll need to replace the tires due to age / safety before we would need to rotate them to equalize wear.

You can save a bit of money by buying your Dually Valves from www.sixrobblees.com. I don't think the product is listed on their site, but a phone call will handle that.
X2 on this, this is where I got mine.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
X2 on this, this is where I got mine.
Todd

Am I missing something, where did you get yours?
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse View Post
Am I missing something, where did you get yours?
www.sixrobblees.com
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:31 AM   #28

Our rig had airless extensions on it when we bought it. RVupgrades.com sells them. They are flexible with a stainless mesh outer. The extension itself doesn't pressurize until you insert a chuck or gauge on it so your valve stem is the stop. It does have a rubber gaskets cap incase your valve core fails and is rated to 150 PS. You get two extensions with brackets for $25.
I personally like the airless since the extensions can be damaged or cut.