Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Inner Dually Valve Extensions

In the past year, I have had 2 steel braided valve extensions just rip in half while traveling down the road. Of course now I have flats on the inner tires, and by the grace of God, I have managed to get pulled over before blowing the outer tires.

I want to put the long, metal (I think probably brass) valve stems on the inner wheels, and the little rubber stabilizer boot on the outer wheel so I can totally eliminate the extensions. I know I have seen them on older rigs, but for whatever reason, I can't find them ( and neither can several auto and truck shops) for the older 16" steel wheels.

Can somebody help me out ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #2

I know exactly what you are talking about. You may want to try a local truck shop that handles the bigger rigs like 10 and 18 wheelers. They will install them for you and re-balance your tires for a fairly reasonable price. Good luck!

funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob Dickman Tire Center - DuallyValves™

I have these on and I like them. There is a California Company that makes them but I cannot get their site to open. Google and you may find them. I purchased them and then had them installed when I bought new tires. The local tire company had never heard of them.

I also have Alligator Double Seal valve caps eliminating the need to remove caps to check air or fill tire.

Nice combination. Makes life easier for me.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Here is the company I bought them from: Borg Tire Supply.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #5

Another vote for Dually Valves from Borg. Pricey, but I consider them one of my most useful purchases.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
I use Cateye air pressure balancer. They keep pressure balanced between inner and outer tire but shut off at preset pressure if there is a problem with one tire.One valve fills both at same time and quick look tells me if I have a low tire.
Link Cat's Eye® - Innovative Products for the Transporation Industry
Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also, check out the 'Crossfire' system. I've had mine for 2 years and no problems (good quality item and works well with one TPMS/Dually). DriVer has had his for many years. It's about $70 per side.

http://www.dualdynamics.com/crossfires/index.shtml
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #8

Or buy these for $13
Two Tire Valve Stem Extensions 90 Degree Pick Up or Dually Truck | eBay
Old 08-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Unfortunately, those will work on the outside but they are not the right direction or length for the inside duals which is what the OP is asking for.

His best choice is the Borg Dually Valve Stems.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i run straight metal extensions on the inner duals and 135-degree bent ones on the outers. topped off with the tpms sensors, so far so good, and easy to air up if needed.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks guys !!! The Borg Dually Valve Stems are what I was looking for. I didn't realize they were so expensive, but it's cheaper than a tow bill and tire.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
TGR

I like the Borg valves as well. I found a fellow who will help me with the price, and am looking for a tire shop to install them and then balance the tires.

Safe Travels
Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #13

Having a long solid valve stem on the inner duals sounds good on the surface but also makes the tires single position. They can't be used as a steer tire or an outside dual.

A couple months ago we got all new rear tires and new valve stems all around so we could add a TPMS system. The original valve stems on the inner duals were too short and the ones on the front were positioned so the TPMS sensors rubbed on the wheel simulators

At first I asked for stems on the inner duals long enough to reach through the outer dual. The tire shop said they could do it, but didn't recommend it. The reason they didn't recommend the longer stems was the fact that it makes installing and removing the outer duals much more difficult and as mentioned earlier it now makes the inner duals dedicated to that position.

Instead they recommended a short curved stem on all tires, with a solid chrome plated brass 6" extension on the inner duals. The short stems could be rotated in place so the tires could be used in any position. The solid extensions for the inner duals have a hex on each end so they can be secured to the valve stems with a 10mm wrench.

I took their suggestion and went with it. I'm happy to say we've put on a little over 4,000 miles since the changeover and everything is working fine. The valve stems $8.00 each and extensions were $6.00 each
Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
i run straight metal extensions on the inner duals and 135-degree bent ones on the outers. topped off with the tpms sensors, so far so good, and easy to air up if needed.
After issues with flexible lines, that's what I went to on our gas coach and they served us well the last 20,000 miles we had it with no signs of issues.

Steve