Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2005, 06:56 PM   #1

All:

We have a modern styled, nearly pristine Vectra Grand Tour diesel and won't be really retired for 5 more years so would use this for a few more years. We'd like to get the rig painted in current style body paint scheme.

Saw a Dec 2003 post on aftermarket full body paint RV paint jobs but no posts since then.

Question: Does anyone have any new/current pricing or suggested places to get this full body paint done?!!? Believe costs would be in the $5K-$8K range???

We assume Dupont Imeron aircraft paint is the way to go durability-wise - but costly. Our rig is (now) stored in a fully enclosed barn ---- wish that was the case from day one...

Unfortunately we're in Southern California for a few years so prices will likely be higher here. We're willing to drive a bit for a reputable/ recommended place, Arizona or ?!!?.

Thanks for sharing.

ourjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2005, 06:56 PM   #2

All:

We have a modern styled, nearly pristine Vectra Grand Tour diesel and won't be really retired for 5 more years so would use this for a few more years. We'd like to get the rig painted in current style body paint scheme.

Saw a Dec 2003 post on aftermarket full body paint RV paint jobs but no posts since then.

Question: Does anyone have any new/current pricing or suggested places to get this full body paint done?!!? Believe costs would be in the $5K-$8K range???

We assume Dupont Imeron aircraft paint is the way to go durability-wise - but costly. Our rig is (now) stored in a fully enclosed barn ---- wish that was the case from day one...

Unfortunately we're in Southern California for a few years so prices will likely be higher here. We're willing to drive a bit for a reputable/ recommended place, Arizona or ?!!?.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:07 AM   #3

jeeps,

Why not do a search of "Full Body Paint" and see what turns up? I've heard Mexico has some deals, other then that it's expensive. I don't know if imron is the way to go or if it's necessary with todays paints. You could do a search on the web for RV Paints, Painters, ect.

Tomcat F15
Old 02-01-2005, 05:59 AM   #4

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Not sure about RVs but Tomcat is right about Mexico. I had a neighbor with a limousine company. He buys cars new and takes them to Mexico to stretch. The body and paint work is beautiful.

Don't ask for the name of the location. He is very protective about trade secrets. Competition is strong in New Orleans.

However, I bet if you did a bit of research you could find several companies.

Walt
Old 02-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I paint with Imron all the time. It's great stuff. We've painted trucks and construction equipment and even my red,white, and blue '72 Javelin-AMX in Imron.

But, I wouldn't run Imron on a motorhome. My Allegro Bus came with a Sherwin-Williams paint that I've crossed over to the DuPont ChromaBase system. ChromaBase is similar to Imron in that you can add a hardener and it's a polyurethane clear coat. However, the base color doesn't have any gloss. That part comes in once you spray the clearcoat over it.

ChromaBase will give you a much better look on an RV. It'll have more depth in the gloss and handles metallics better than Imron. You can also go nuts with prismatic paints if you have the inclination (and large wallet ) to do so. I bought some ChromaBase and sprayed my FanMate turbo covers that I put over the Fantastic Fans. It looks very good and matches the OEM finish perfectly.

ChromaBase isn't cheap, but it is still a bit less than Imron, whic h has got to be the most expensive stuff around. Also, there's more painters around who are familiar with ChromaBase versus Imron. That alone will contribute greatly to a better job.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The quality of the painter is more important than the type of paint. A good paint job is 80% in the prep work, 15% in the spraying and only 5% in he paint. Any modern basecoat/clearcoat paint will do a fine job and last for many, many years.

I suggest doing a google on RV BODY REPAIR to find reputable shops near you. Once you have some names, you can start asking for references from satisfied customers. You can also find shop names advertised in RV magazines such as Family Motorcoach (FMCA), Motorhome, Trailer Life, and Highways (Good Sam)
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #7

You might try small airports that have paint shops . They use Imron and other paints .
If business is slow you might strike a deal .
Paul
Old 02-04-2005, 03:46 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ourjeeps:
We assume Dupont Imron aircraft paint is the way to go durability-wise - but costly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dupont Imron is the stuff Winnebago uses to paint their rigs; and is indisputably the toughest scratch resistant paint available.

Next best option would be Dupont Centari, an acrylic urethane paint; somewhat less expensive than Imron, not only for the materials, but from an application perspective. It can be used with, or without the addition of isocyanate. Including isocyanate in the mix, brings it pretty close to Imron for durability.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the update/ comments/
suggestions. We'll do some local research and report on our findings soon.

Great RV forum and special thanks to the hard working moderators.