Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2009, 03:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
installation of ALLURE composite flooring

[ATTACH]
Name:   DSC00141.jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:   DSC00136.jpg
Views: 2503
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:   DSC00140.jpg
Views: 2348
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:   DSC00137.jpg
Views: 2213
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:   DSC00139.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:   DSC00135.jpg
Views: 2332
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:   DSC00132.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:   DSC00131.jpg
Views: 2220
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:   DSC00126.jpg
Views: 2136
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:   DSC00125.jpg
Views: 3340
Size:  46.0 KB
[/ATTACH]i helped my installer, STEVE, of:
Wood Floor Refinishing and Installation in Portland Oregon-Modern Tech Floors located in portland, or, and vancouver, wa.
to do this installation. it took over a week working 4-5 hours a day average.
there is a lot of what steve calls "detail work" which goes slowly.

the carpet was glued and stapled in the front around the doghouse. the rest was mostly stapled, lots of staples. the vinyl plank floor in the kitchen was glued. it took a special tool to get it up. the bathroom white sheet vinyl was stapled and glued but came up much easier than the kitchen vinyl.

we chose ALLURE vinyl plank flooring from HOME DEPOT because of other satisfied users of this product on this forum. HD gives veterans a 10% discount. we used almost all of 9 boxes of allure @ 24 sq ft per box. there is some waste due to the nature of the product adhesive system.

this is supposed to be a water proof free floating floor system. i didn't think that would work well in my moho around the stairs, in front and around the slide faces. we used 2 rolls of double back tape. all the stairwell is taped and most of the floor on the right side of the moho is taped. the front around the doghouse is taped and stapled with an air stapler. near the doghouse where the carpet meets the flooring, the carpet is folded on itself and is taped and stapled where there is wood subfloor. we used oak colored silicone caulking around the doghouse, stairwell, dinette, bathroom and where it is necessary to fill in the trim-allure meeting interface. we have an oak color pen from wally world to color the caulking when it is dry and even.
for the bottom of the dinette slide, bedroom slide, and in other places we used 1.5" oak baseboard trim from LOWES. we used oak 1/4 round trim from lowes also. our hd did not have these products in oak. these products were sealed with a clear spray sealer prior to installation. these products were attached with an air nailer. the air tools saved a lot of time.
steve cut the carpet under the slides, dinette, and bed as close as he could get with a special carpet knife. the allure is scored and trimmed with a regular utility knife.
we have operated our slides once and they did not leave any marks on the flooring from the slides. the flooring is very thin, about 1/8" thick. it still is resilient when stepped on. steve says to put an allure flooring plank on the floor temporarily when we operate the slides if we ever observe contact marks.
except for more thin layers of caulking in several places, our installation is complete.
now i'll try to attach the pictures.
i could only do 10 pics, so there are no pics here of before and during the operation
overall, the dw (thats what matters) and i am happy with this upgrade.
oops, i got the products pic in there twice. i was trying to get another view of the staircase showing how the baseboard moulding fits flush with the floor. i can't figure out how to exchange the picture on edit.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2009, 04:19 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
the purpose of this post is to add more pictures because the system would not let me edit them on my previous post.
Attached Images

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 11-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Dan L... great job! You said you attached your baseboard/trim with an air nailer. Did you nail it to to walls rather than the floor since the Allure needs to "float"?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Name:   DSC00137.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:   DSC00136.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:   DSC00134.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:   DSC00135.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:   DSC00132.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:   DSC00139.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:   DSC00129.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:   DSC00126.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  44.9 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hey Dan L... great job! You said you attached your baseboard/trim with an air nailer. Did you nail it to to walls rather than the floor since the Allure needs to "float"?
thanks,
we air nailed the trim to the walls. the floor only floats mostly front to rear and right to left because we used 2 rolls of double back tape in the installation. i felt that the db tape was necessary at the doghouse and around the stairwell, was desirable in some places to keep the floor down under the old carpet in the slide areas. we used silicone caulking in the stairwell and in the bathroom around the edges.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good looking floor Dan, I have similar floor plan in the Allegro, and plan on doing the flooring when it comes time for carpet to be replaced. The Allure looks really good. Good idea on using a piece under the slide, I too was worried about if it would leave marks. Thanks for sharing.

Dieselclacker