Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 06:13 AM   #1
DJJ

Installation of eng hardwood floor question.

First two questions, for the flooring experts, of what will probably turn into a few more as this project progress.

My RV is a 2003 Newmar Dutch Star and I am in the process of replacing the carpet with eng hardwood. As you can see in the picture below the step well cover comes up and is flush with the floor. The top step stair nose trim needs to be attached over the hinge. I can't imagine there is an adhesive strong enough to hold it to the stainless hinge and would need to be held with screws. But thought I would check with anyone that has tackled this project. I know I will have to trim the part of the stair nose so it does not go down the riser. Second question, the grey seam that's in the picture. It has a rubber consistency. Anything special I should do with it, will the urethane adhesive adhere to it? Any other tips or tricks of the trade are welcomed. Feel free to stop by and pull staples if your in the neighborhood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1424696910.820849.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	86806

Jeff
2003 Dutch Star, 3126B Cat.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #2

How was it held before?

Epoxy is wonderful stuff as long as it has something to hold.

A sharp knife can make deep scratches in the bottom of the steel and removing finish and roughing up the mating part and you should be good.

Look for wood to steel rated epoxy and you should be good.

Avoid the 5 minute stuff and seek out industrial supply as they may have better stuff.

Clamp with heavy weight.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Jeff- the forum finally loaded for me. What material did you have originally for the entry?
Most of the Dutch Stars that I have seen have had a corian stair nose trim which doesn't drop down like the wood stair nose.
Like the above poster mentioned, a good epoxy would be my choice.
NOTE: insure that the back of the stair nose has been sanded to get rid of the urethane. If it is shiney, sand it.
use a scraper to make the gray adhesive smooth. The manufacturer adds that for the seam in the floor and usually adds a piece of plastic over that with the appropriate amount of staples to hold it down. Get a good trowel for your urethane adhesive, also.
Urethane adhesive, after opened, will form a membrane over nite. I cover the bucket with a large trash bag and cut the adhesive with a utility knife to remove the membrane and deposit it in the trash bag. I use laquer thinner for clean up
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #4
DJJ

The original material around the stair well was narrow brown aluminum trim screwed down to make the transition from the edge of the carpet. The carpet was glued down to the hinge and stapled along the sides. The carpet was not original so I don't know what the original threshold was.

Thanks for the tips.

Jeff
2003 Dutch Star, 3126B Cat.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install