Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #127

bdaball;

You may consider replacing the valve stems on your duel wheels with the low profile (short) style. I did that on my boat trailer to keep the transmitters from sticking out. My tire store showed me three different lengths I could choose from.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #128
kdk

tire temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck62 View Post
UPS 34
I set my tire pressure low alarm at 10 pounds below my set pressure, example my fronts are set at 110 and my low alarm is 100 PSI so I can react to a possilble leak before I possibly damage the tire. Also as the tire heats up driving it will exceed the original pressure setting. I set my temperature at 120 degrees as a guess because the outside temperature does increase tire temp but I have never had a temp alarm. There is not a lot of information on what is considered an excessive hot tire, most information state that low pressure will cause excess heat in the tire. Most of the time I find that the tires are a little above the actual outside temperature. In the hot summer they run hotter than in winter. Hopes this helps you....
I called TST about this and they explained that tire degradation starts around 180 deg F, so they factory default the system to 157 deg. this may be chaged uoward if you like. How ever, after installing the system 3 weeks ago and making a 2500 mi trip to N.D.from MI. and learned the pressures were very accurate and raised about 12 to 15 psi on a 90 deg day on a 40 DP. The temps only read about 5 degrees above ambiant air temp so really was of no use. My repeater antenna does have a red LED to indicate it is on as one other poster said his did not. How ever I did find that the repeater was not needed as the regular short antenna reads the Vue fine, but this depends intirely on each particulrr coach and where the monitor is mounted. I really likr the system in the ability to monitor tire press. and not have toworry about it. JUST PIECE OF MIND
KDK

Old 08-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #129

Workhorse Chassis Owner
kdk---

Quote:
The temps only read about 5 degrees above ambiant air temp so really was of no use.
I hope all my tire temperature readings are that steady -- It would be a great blessing to me.

To me--- on my WorkHorse chassis this info is critical to my peace of mind during vehicle operation since overheated brake rotors can cause catastrophic failure of brake fluid (boiling) and other components. I'm banking on this temp reading to alert me of impending failure of my brakes. The brake rotors are located in very close proximity to the wheels and tires and an elevated temperature of tires is exactly what I need to know about in a timely fashion---
Old 08-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #130

Max is correct, even though the TST temperature monitoring feature is specifically designed to report what the temperature of the air inside of the tire is, it will report that air temperature regardless of source or cause. It does not care or recognize that an increase in the temperature is being caused by a reduction in PSI vs. a dragging brake line vs. loss of brake fluid, etc. It just reports the temperature increase that resulted, it is then up to the driver to determine the actual cause.

As Max pointed out the fact that many other factors can cause or contribute to an increase in tire air temperature that may trigger an alarm is really a mega bonus feature of the TST system that is not to be taken lightly, Ken Roberts, Distributor for TST
Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #131

Several days ago in the middle of nowhere in Northern MI, I must have clipped a curb on a bridge and broke off my sensor. About 5 minutes later, I noticed the coach pulling to the left and pulled over, but it was too late. The tire was ruined. Called Good Sam and they gt it fixed from a tire guy who was 55 miles away. I gave them the tire info on the phone and he brought t with him. I was able to use the hydrolic leveler jacks to get the wheel off the ground. I would highly recommend anybody using this system use very short valve stems and no extentions so the sensor is within the plane of the tire rim. I have been looking at tires in the RV park and many have scrapes on them like mine must have had and it shouldn't end up costing the price of a tire.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #132

Tire Failure

Lindsay, I am confused. Are you saying that having a tire sensor, that possibly extended beyond the plane of the rim, was the cause of your tire failure? By your description it sounds like the tire was totaled. If so I do not understand how the sheering off of a sensor would result in that kind of damage. It sounds to me like that tire would have incurred the same amount of damage without having any sensor on it.

Any tire sensor installation should be done to insure that all sensors are within the plane of the rim to preclude or at least minimize the affects of road wind and centrifigal force which eventually could cause valve stem chaffing and a resultant air leak.

Incidentally, you never said whether or not your TPMS alarm sounded. With what you imply there must have been a sudden decrease in PSI on that wheel and with most TPMS brands that in itself would have been an alarm condition where pulling over before ever feeling the coach pulling to one side might have been in order.

Lindsay, in any event it appears from your posting that there was no other damage to your coach nor did you or any of your passengers incur any injury as a result of this mishap. To me that is the all important issue, regards and be careful out there, Ken Roberts...
Old 09-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #133

I didn't make it clear I guess. I had the long valve stem and a 45 degree extension. This put the sensor hanging our there beyond the plane of the tire (out from the hubcap). When I evidently clipped the curb, the sensor was ripped of the extension and this caused a pretty fast leakage. The outboard tip of the extension was mangleed No alarm went off and the receiving unit still read the good readings on pressure and temps which suprised me. No alarm went off. When we stopped, the tire was smouldering and I shot it with my fire extinguisher. This was not the fault of the unit. It was a poor installation process. I should have used the short valves and had the sensor unit behind the hubcap, not sticking out as an accident waiting to happen. Nobody was hurt, but if I went on a little further, I could have had a fire.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #134

Tire Pressure Load Charts

I have installed TST monitoring system and am pleased with the inform ation I now have at my fingertips. I have two questions that are related.

1. I have looked at various tire makers load charts and cannot find on any of them what temperature they use as "ambient temperature". Right now in Yuma in the mornings it is in the 80's and my tire pressures are considerably higher than they were in Indiana a couple of months ago. So the question is what temperature are the load charts based on?

2. In a similar vein, as soon as I am rolling down the road my tire temperatures increase about 15 degrees. This results in a corresponding pressure rise of 10 - 12 psi. Does this mean that my warmer tires (with higher psi) have a greater load carrying capacity than when they are cooler?

Just wondering,
Thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #135

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Flossy,
The ambient temperature is whatever the temp is wherever you are before you head out for the day's travel. For me, unless I am going to be in the area for a while, I do not change my cold inflation PSI. An example of this is when we visit the Rocky Mountains. Due to the altitude, the cold PSI will go down. Since my only driving is one trip in and one trip out (back to lower elevations) I do not change my cold PSI. I'd need to be doing a couple weeks of driving in the new environment before I'd change my cold PSI.

As far as the load capacity increasing when the tires get warmed up, the answer is no. The tire engineers have taken all this into consideration. This is why one needs to measure and make adjustments when the tires are cold.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I just installed a monitoring system and took my first trip. What surprised me about the temperatures was the variation from one tire to the next on the toad. I some differences of more than 20F.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #137

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
temperatures ... variation from one tire to the next on the toad.
My toad tired generally run hotter than the MH tires -- size does matter!! And the front tires on the Honda Odyssey run much warmer than the rears due to the weight they carry. But the one that surprises me is that the right front on the Honda runs considerably warmer than the left front when running the same pressures, even when accounting for sunny side & shady side. My assumption at this point is that the hotter temp on the right front is due to the diesel exhaust being immediately in front of that tire. That tire is normally a 10-15 degree hotter than the left front, and 20-25 degrees hotter when climbing steep grades with the diesel pulling hard in a lower gear.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #138

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I hadn't thought of that. The hot tire in question was on the front left. The exhaust is on the left rear of the coach. That's why it was hotter!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:41 AM   #139

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It still amazes me how sensitive tire temperatures are in their environment. I never in my life thought about tire temperatures before this technology appeared--- I only was concerned with pressure.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #140

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ordered my TST system at 2:49pm yesterday, and got an email with shipment and tracking information less than 2 HOURS later. Now that is service. Given the normal level of service when I order something off the internet, I was expecting them to be shipped out on Monday, at the earliest.

Folks,

I had considered one of these systems before, but the price kept me from buying one. Then I had an experience this past weekend that put the whole situation into perspective. We had just travelled the 100 miles or so across I68 from Morgantown, WV to Berkley Springs, and were continuing home to the VA Beach area. Now these mountains (close to 3000 ft. elevation) are nothing to those who travel out towards the west, but it gave me a good oppourtunity to practice my use of gearing down the transmission, and most of the time I was able to avoid using the brakes entirely when going down the 12 steep inclines I counted along the way.

We had just picked up I81 near Winchester, VA, and I was getting over into the left hand lane to take the left exit to pick up I66 when it sounded like someone shot a shotgun under our coach. My first thought was an engine backfire, but the sound came from the opposite side of the exhaust pipes.

I hit the brakes, and the pedal went to the floor. We are talking a time span of less than 5 seconds here. Of course I still had front brakes, so if I really stood on it, we could get slowed down and eventually stopped. I got off at the next exit, and discovered the RR inner tire had blown out, come off the rim, and cut the rubber brake line going from the metal line to the caliper.

Once I got stopped, I looked at my wife and 2 year old son in his car seat. I thought about what had just happened, and what could have happened had this happened coming down one of those mountains, I don't mind admitting I was pretty shaken up by the whole thing.

I have to believe that a monitoring system would have had to have given me ample warning that we were having a problem long before it got to the point of a blowout. What probably should have been all along, is finally a no brainer for me, mine is on its way.

If you've been considering it, I would urge you to once again give it some serious consideration. Now they are expensive, and not nearly as exciting as a new flat screen TV, but just think of what it could save in the long run if you get it before something happens. I wish I had.