Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #197

Alpine Owners Club
I bought TST system back when the folks in Denver were messing up with not shipping but since then customer service was great. However I have to agree, It is hard to trust the system when signals are so intermitten. I have pretty much given up on it. Back to checking pressure and thumping duals.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #198

Fleetwood Owners Club
Although I have experienced a few problem with Pressure Pro, I have not needed to replace a sensor. Wireless signal noise or other interference is an issue. The signals coming off the sensors are soooo weak for battery saving that it doesn't take much to interfere with them or lose signal due to distance.

Microwave, Wireless phones, TV remotes, wireless internet... Basically anything that generates RF and fluorescent lights are bad.

A repeater is much needed for signal strength enhancement to the monitor.

Huge TIP: For large duallys, the outside valve stem can be slightly loosened and without losing air, turn it so it faces outward instead of facing in (turn it facing at the inner hub or where you like). This makes checking air and placing sensors easy on the outter dually valve stem. Retighten,,snug it up.. Not too much

The inner rim of the dually should have a rubber valve stabilizer installed so the valve or sensor doesn't rub the wheel hole.

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #199

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda2405 View Post
The Gorilla glue on the stem side of the sensor to prevent the shell from spinning so you can put it on and off without the tool worked perfectly. Held solid and makes install and removal quick and easy. If you are not concerned with the theft deterrent provided by the spinning shell, this worked for my inner rear duals and was the recommended method by TST.
Just did it today (Gorilla Glue thing), and I hope I don't have a failure and TST refuses the warranty because of this mod...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #200

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
while traveling recently I broke one of the two wrenches that comes with your set. I called TST and they sent two new wrenches,(I only asked for one and was willing to pay) at no charge to the next campground we were headed to.

Not too shabby on the service eh?

Very happy with the product mounted on "Dually valve" stems. NO extensions required.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #201
Commercial Member

Temperature a nice feature. Just remember you are not reading the real Contained Air Temperature as there does not seem to be a thermocouple extending into the air chamber. So you are always getting a temp lower than the CAT.
BUT "Probably close enough". If you see something much over Ambient + 30 I would definately check out why.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #202

Yesterday I received my replacement TST monitoring system. TST tested my system and determined there was a problem with communications between the sensors and the monitor. So they sent me a new replacement system. It comes with a new two year warranty.

I am very happy with their customer service. Hopefully the new system with run smoothly. I'll get around to installing it today probably.

Dave
Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 AM   #203

Newmar Owners Club
Based on reading this thread a year ago I ordered the TST TPMS for Christmas last year. Santa Claus came through and now that the weather is better I installed the system... kind of...

I couldnt get the sending units on the rear outside valve stems because they point inward toward the inside wheel. The hand hole in the outside wheel isnt large enought to get my hand in and screw on the sending unit with the installation tool. I made some trips around to the RV dealers looking for some flexable extensions to bring the end of the valve out through the hand hole and to point the end of the valve "out" instead of "in" toward the inside wheel. None of the flexable extensions would bend with a small enough radius to make a 180 degree turn and were not short enough to position the sender just outside the hand hole. I tried short, long, one with a rigid 90 elbow on the valve stem end; none would work properly. I found rigid extensions in 90, 45, and 180 bends and could not find one that had the correct angle and or length to make the sender-end available to screw on the sender. I went down to the Wingfoot Goodyear tire dealer for help... to maybe replace the original valve stems with one that were bent or longer or shorter. That trip cost me $1156 because they had two Michelin XRV tires that they wanted to get off the floor and my XRV's were starting to weather check. They said that if I bought the tires they would replace the rear dual stems and install the senders at no cost. They and I worked on every configuration that we could think of and still couldnt get the stems and extensions to work for installation of the senders. I am now going to return $90 of various extensions that I had to have on hand to have enough parts available for the installation.

We have given up... at least until someone comes up with a solution.

I know that it is hard to believe that it can be that hard to make it work, but if one can see the situation they will understand. Part of the problem appears to be caused by the stainless wheel covers... the same ones pictured above in Max's photos. The covers dont fit exactly flush against the steel wheel. There is a small gap between which makes it more difficult to get ones hands through the hand holes.

Presently, I am stuck with only 4 of the 6 tires monitored by the TPMS.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:11 AM   #204

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Based on reading this thread a year ago I ordered the TST TPMS for Christmas last year. Santa Claus came through and now that the weather is better I installed the system... kind of...

I couldnt get the sending units on the rear outside valve stems because they point inward toward the inside wheel. The hand hole in the outside wheel isnt large enought to get my hand in and screw on the sending unit with the installation tool. I made some trips around to the RV dealers looking for some flexable extensions to bring the end of the valve out through the hand hole and to point the end of the valve "out" instead of "in" toward the inside wheel. None of the flexable extensions would bend with a small enough radius to make a 180 degree turn and were not short enough to position the sender just outside the hand hole. I tried short, long, one with a rigid 90 elbow on the valve stem end; none would work properly. I found rigid extensions in 90, 45, and 180 bends and could not find one that had the correct angle and or length to make the sender-end available to screw on the sender. I went down to the Wingfoot Goodyear tire dealer for help... to maybe replace the original valve stems with one that were bent or longer or shorter. That trip cost me $1156 because they had two Michelin XRV tires that they wanted to get off the floor and my XRV's were starting to weather check. They said that if I bought the tires they would replace the rear dual stems and install the senders at no cost. They and I worked on every configuration that we could think of and still couldnt get the stems and extensions to work for installation of the senders. I am now going to return $90 of various extensions that I had to have on hand to have enough parts available for the installation.

We have given up... at least until someone comes up with a solution.

I know that it is hard to believe that it can be that hard to make it work, but if one can see the situation they will understand. Part of the problem appears to be caused by the stainless wheel covers... the same ones pictured above in Max's photos. The covers dont fit exactly flush against the steel wheel. There is a small gap between which makes it more difficult to get ones hands through the hand holes.

Presently, I am stuck with only 4 of the 6 tires monitored by the TPMS.
this 90 deg extension is very short on the inside end. this would have been better for my installation.
RVUpgradeStore - 90 Degree Valve Extension

i am using the tst system with 4 he200 90 deg extensions from haltec, almost too long on the inside end. i used a 1/2" box end to bend the brass tire valve stems slightly for clearance. the valve stems were loose, i tightened the nuts about 1/6 of a turn. there are pics of my installation on this forum. i have 19'' steel wheels with liners. i had to remove the liners to install the extensions
HALTEC ONLINE

camping world has 135 degree valve stem extensions.
135 Degree Valve Extenders - Item - Camping World

hope this info helps.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #205

Monaco Owners Club
Ron why not deflate the tire loosen the nut and rotate the stems out, that is what I did, check for leaks after.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #206

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ron-

Do you have aluminum or steel wheels? Do you have Stainless Steel wheel covers?

If you can start to screw the sensors on by hand and then use a 1/2", or 13mm, open end wrench to snug those two rascals down. Forget the installation tool for those two wheels
Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #207

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
this 90 deg extension is very short on the inside end. this would have been better for my installation.
RVUpgradeStore - 90 Degree Valve Extension

i am using the tst system with 4 he200 90 deg extensions from haltec, almost too long on the inside end. i used a 1/2" box end to bend the brass tire valve stems slightly for clearance. the valve stems were loose, i tightened the nuts about 1/6 of a turn. there are pics of my installation on this forum. i have 19'' steel wheels with liners. i had to remove the liners to install the extensions
HALTEC ONLINE

camping world has 135 degree valve stem extensions.
135 Degree Valve Extenders - Item - Camping World

hope this info helps.
Dan L,

I finally found your photos... only took me 6-hours... oh, ok, maybe 30 minutes.

Your valve stems come out toward the center hub, mine point back toward the inside dual so I cant use your method. I actually tried the 135 deg extension and a 360 deg... tried them all to no avail. After a little more analysis, I see that the answer may be to change the original stem to one with a bend. The link to Haltec helps to know what stems are available... thanks.

For some strange reason the Goodyear shop that was going to do this didnt suggest changing the valve stem. Once he saw all my parts I guess the forgot the obvious. Now that I see the Haltec parts that are available I'm kind of disappointed with the shop.

I went over to the MH tonight to take another look at the valve stem configuration and found the the new driver side XRV that they installed yesterday was flatter than a pancake. The bead was also separated from the rim so there is no way for me to re-seat the tire with my air compressor. I called the Goodyear shop that they will send a truck out tomorrow. It kind of worries me that the TST pressure sending unit may have caused the leak... I put it on at the shop after they installed the tires. :(
Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #208

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Ron why not deflate the tire loosen the nut and rotate the stems out, that is what I did, check for leaks after.
Same reason I replied to Dan L; My stems are straight, I'm assuming that yours maybe the 90 deg stems which could be re-oriented.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #209

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Ron-

Do you have aluminum or steel wheels? Do you have Stainless Steel wheel covers?

If you can start to screw the sensors on by hand and then use a 1/2", or 13mm, open end wrench to snug those two rascals down. Forget the installation tool for those two wheels
Mine are steel wheels with the stainless wheel covers. They look just like yours, but my valve stems must be different or the WorkHorse uses a different wheel.

As I said in one of my replies, I think the answer is that I will have to replace the valve stems. I want the sensors to extend a small amount past the wheel cover hand hole for easy removal for air fill.

Since I had one of the tires installed yesterday go flat, I have a question as to how tight do you crank down the sensors. I tightened the one that went flat pretty tight, but didnt want to twist something off. I am a little concerned because the rubber o-rings on the sensors are very consistently seated and look a little flakely. I hope that wasnt why the new tire went flat.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #210

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Mine are steel wheels with the stainless wheel covers. They look just like yours, but my valve stems must be different or the WorkHorse uses a different wheel.

As I said in one of my replies, I think the answer is that I will have to replace the valve stems. I want the sensors to extend a small amount past the wheel cover hand hole for easy removal for air fill.

Since I had one of the tires installed yesterday go flat, I have a question as to how tight do you crank down the sensors. I tightened the one that went flat pretty tight, but didnt want to twist something off. I am a little concerned because the rubber o-rings on the sensors are very consistently seated and look a little flakely. I hope that wasnt why the new tire went flat.
i used soapy water in a squeeze bottle to check for leaks when in installed my tst sensors and when i remove them to inflate the tires.
i had 1 tst sensor start to leak after a 200 mile trip recently. tst replaced it. it cost me a little over $2 for postage. i called them for an ra number. i have also had 2 tst sensors just quit sending info, 1 is in the mail now.
in the past, i have used a rope around the center of the tire tread with a bar for twisting it to get the tire bead close enough to the rim to inflate it with a good air compressor with a clip on chuck.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote