Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #211

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
I used soapy water in a squeeze bottle to check for leaks when in installed my tst sensors and when i remove them to inflate the tires.

In the past, i have used a rope around the center of the tire tread with a bar for twisting it to get the tire bead close enough to the rim to inflate it with a good air compressor with a clip on chuck.
I just made up a spray bottle with soapy water today so I can check for leaks when I put the sensors back on.

The Goodyear truck came out this a.m. and pumped up the tire again. He replaced the valve inside the stem just in case and checked for nails and leaks. He didnt find anything.

I was surprised that the tire was so easy to seal without any use of a circumference strap. He told me that I should be able to do it with my compressor without a problem. I didnt think I would be able to since it is such a large tire. I have had problems with a lot smaller tires not sealing. It does make it easier if the stem valve is removed while pressureizing, in fact it's probably a must (I mentioned this just in case a reader has to do this and doesnt know about removing the stem valve in order to pump enough air volume to seal the tire).

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #212

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ron,

I had a tire that lost some air a while ago. It turned out to be the valve stem nut got slightly loose, enough to leak. It just required about a half a turn of the nut, and all was well.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:45 AM   #213

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Ron,

I had a tire that lost some air a while ago. It turned out to be the valve stem nut got slightly loose, enough to leak. It just required about a half a turn of the nut, and all was well.
Yes, I thought of that, but the service tech checked that and it was good and tight. He also bubble tested all the possible areas... TST sensor I bet. Will re-install it and bubble test it as well as all of them from now on.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:26 AM   #214
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
. I tightened the one that went flat pretty tight, but didnt want to twist something off. I am a little concerned because the rubber o-rings on the sensors are very consistently seated and look a little flakely. I hope that wasnt why the new tire went flat.[/QUOTE]

Hi Ron

This could be the answer. TST says not to tighten them too much. You may have ruined the rubber O ring inside the sensor. Suggest you have TST send you replacement. They're very good about that.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #215

I would like to add my experience yesterday.
I was driving through Portland Oregon evening traffic when my monitor started alerting me that my driver side front tire was loosing presser pretty fast luckly I was able to make it to a truck stop. As soon as I placed the tool on the sensor to remove it I herd a hiss. The nut on the valve stem had come loose enough I could turn it with my fingers. I tightened it back up and added air and everything was fine.
Here is what I will be doing to prevent this from happening again. I am going to design and build a bracket that will fit over the valve stem and have the same cut out the tool does that we use to tighten and loosen the sensor. The nut that holds the valve stem to the rim will then be loctited permanently in place. I will slid the new bracket down the valve stem and use the new bracket to tighten the sensor in place then I will add a second nut to lock it in the tight position. My thinking is the bracket will solve two problems. First the valve stem nut will never come loose from the rim and the sensor will be locked in place so it canít come loose either.

What do you think?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #216

Newmar Owners Club
TooDr,

It's hard to understand just what the new bracket would look like... can you draw it and post it?

If I do understand, I dont think that my stems have enough threads exposed to attach a 2nd nut. I assume the 2nd nut would be at the base of the new bracket and on top of the standard valve nut, with the base of the new bracket sandwiched between the two nuts.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #217

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
. TST says not to tighten them too much. You may have ruined the rubber O ring inside the sensor. Suggest you have TST send you replacement. They're very good about that.
Cliff
Cliff,

I think your right about me tightening them too much and damaging the "o" ring.

I did call TST and they sent me several "o" rings for spares.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #218

You can have longer valve stems put on your rims. I had to do it for my boat trailer.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #219

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm really lost on the bracket thing ... why? If it is to secure the sensor, why not just double-nut it w/o the bracket? ...or just use semi-permanent loctite on the sensor itself?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #220

Newmar Owners Club
Good drawing. I visulized it correctly.

However, I agree with AfChap I dont know a need for it since I havent heard of anyone losing a sending unit. It would also be impossible for me to use since I have wheel simulators and would not be able to access the lower nut without removing the simulators. In addition, I dont have enough threads exposed above the base nut to attach a second base nut.

If you used such a device, wouldnt it be a hassle to remove the sending unit to add air... you would have to back off the base nut so that you could turn the sender, and I am assuming that you would use the device to loosen the sending unit?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #221

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
havent heard of anyone losing a sending unit
The problem isn't the possibility of losing a sending unit/sensor, but with a sensor loosening and causing the tire to go flat ...one of the reasons I eventually returned my system. I found they were much less likely to loosen themselves if I checked/tightened them with the wrench during/after the first couple of trips after they had been removed/replaced, and then periodically after that.

My coach doesn't have wheel liners, but the way the sensors sat inside the holes of my aluminum wheels I don't believe the extra bracket and additional nuts would have been possible with my wheels either.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #222

Winnebago Owners Club
Just purchased a TST system From Dan there, very helpful and patient. I bought the new version that has the replaceable batteries in the sensors. Reading the forums on the different brands narrowed it down to Pressure Pro and TST. I made the decision based on forum postings, (several different forums,) and what I consider 'latest technology'.
When I get some real miles on the system I'll post my thoughts on my decision. Just didn't think I should chance everything we own on being without some tire secuity!
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #223

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmo View Post
I bought the new version that has the replaceable batteries in the sensors.
I bought the older version last December and like the looks of the new sensors since you can install them without a special tool.

What do they charge for the new version? The older one was $359 with 6 sending units.

Their website doesnt show a price yet.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #224

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmo View Post
Just purchased a TST system From Dan there, very helpful and patient. I bought the new version that has the replaceable batteries in the sensors. Reading the forums on the different brands narrowed it down to Pressure Pro and TST. I made the decision based on forum postings, (several different forums,) and what I consider 'latest technology'.
When I get some real miles on the system I'll post my thoughts on my decision. Just didn't think I should chance everything we own on being without some tire secuity!
Please post a picture of the new monitor display. I have been in contact with TST like their units and system but am concerned about the display on the monitor.