Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #225

Winnebago Owners Club
Can't post any, don't have the unit yet. You can go to the website and see the display picture pretty clearly. What concerns are you having? The website has a pretty good picture and you can call Dan at the TST # and he can probably send you better pics or answer any questions.
Sorry can't help more.
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #226

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmo View Post
The website has a pretty good picture...
Actually, no the picures are not very informative... no display of the screen, and no price.

For those that are interested:

I did call during the day when they were open and found that the price is the same as the previous version, that they will still carry. Dan said that the is a significant difference in the battery life of the new one. He said the batteries only last for abou one year as opposed to five years. So that is a consideration.

Since I the opportunity to return the one that I got in December and have not used yet, I have to consider:

Hummm, lets see... 6 senders x $50 = $300 every five years.
6 senders x maybe $5 = $30 x 5 years = $150
plus having to unscrew and change batteries. But you get a better mounting system.

I dont know which one I would go with. It depends a lot on how the display is arranged.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #227

I just installed the HawksHead unit with 6 sensors for $315 on ebay. It came with 6 new valve stems and 6 sensors, including batteries, that the battery can be changed in. The monitor has up to 22 wheels that can be monitored and does temp as well as pressure. Each sensor comes with a lock nut that uses a special tool so that a simple wrench cannot be used to remove them. It shows over press as well as under press. If you google hawkshead tpm you can see all of the dope.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #228

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Can't post any, don't have the unit yet. You can go to the website and see the display picture pretty clearly. What concerns are you having? The website has a pretty good picture and you can call Dan at the TST # and he can probably send you better pics or answer any questions.
Sorry can't help more.
As Romeo said website doesn't show good pictures. I did call Dan and he sent brochure but it was of the old version. Best pic I found of old unit was under google which listed camping world as a source. CW is no longer a source but they have a pic that can be zoomed on. My question/concern is that it appears the pic rendition is of a semi tractor/trailer or fifth wheel not a MH. I just wanted to know if new version has same display as old version. I already have a return call into Dan on the question
Old 05-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #229

Newmar Owners Club
I am watching this as I have a new TST I got in Feb, but haven't installed yet either. I'll look at CW site.
mbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #230

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just ordered the 507 version after a long discussion with Dan. The display on the 507 is the same as the display on the 510. However you can make the "big box" on the right of the display the motorhome instead of the trailer as long as tire pressure in all wheels of the "big box" are the same. The 507 has the buttons on the top as opposed to the 510 having the buttons on the bottom. Also the 507 has five buttons instead of four on the 510. The extra button is to help code sensor location on the vehicle to display.

Also the sensor in the 507 is much lighter than the 510 sensor although it's the same physical size. However they are not interchangeable since the 507 uses 6 digit code while the 510 uses 4 digit code.
Battery life of one year on 507 sensors is based on continous usage. If unscrewed during storage, battery drain is minimal and life is extended. Hope all this helps those considering a tpms system.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #231

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I too ordered the 507 version and tracking information shows I should receive it tomorrow. It was pointed out to me during the conversation I had while ordering yesterday that the 507 was also a little easier to program. I asked about the o ring problem mentioned in some earlier posts and got the "don't overtighten" comment. I asked for a couple of spare o rings and was told they would check and make sure they were the same in both the 507 and 510 models. If not they are suppose to ship me some when they are available. We're heading to the Outer Banks of North Carolina on our next trip in June. I'll let you know how it well it works.
Knotdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #232

Tiffin Owners Club
Just purchased a set for the motor home and toad. Went on a 2500 mile trip and the system worked like a charm. Service from TST was also very good. I would recommend them.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #233

Winnebago Owners Club
I received mine this week and programed and installed them on the MH. It was a pretty simple proceedure and the display shows the placement of my tires like they are. As a note; the display shows 22 tire locations on the display and I think that's the display picture that is shown on the website. However you only program the tire locations of your choice and after all tires are programed the unprogramed tires don't display on the unit. You can also disable displaying the toad by simple pressing two buttons together, then repress the same ones to show the toad. We haven't driven the rig yet to say how well the reception is on the toad without the repeater antenna but it does pick up while parked. I removed the anti-theft caps on the sensors for the toad since the stem was to close to the wheel rim but the hub cab makes it almost to theft proof.
Hope this helps, I need to say also that I've called Dan at TST numerous times and have been very pleased with his patience with all my questions, good customer service is worth a mention!
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #234

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I removed the anti-theft caps on the sensors for the toad...
Would you explain what you mean by "...removed the anti-theft caps..."?

That sounds like you removed the black plastic caps... Do you a picture?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #235

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the new 507 series sensors, the battery is user replaceable. To do that TST has design a black housing(anti theft) over the black housing that contains the battery and sensor. Three screws from the back side and the outer housing is off which spins freely over the inner housing. I removed mine on the outside rear duals since the valve stem points inward and just screwed the sensor on by hand.

On the O-rings, question I have is that I got two types of O-rings. One is an actual O-ring that slides over the valve stem and the other is a circular gasket that sets inside the sensor like a garden hose gasket. Who has which type?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #236

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
In the new 507 series sensors, the battery is user replaceable. To do that TST has design a black housing(anti theft) over the black housing that contains the battery and sensor. Three screws from the back side and the outer housing is off which spins freely over the inner housing. I removed mine on the outside rear duals since the valve stem points inward and just screwed the sensor on by hand.

On the O-rings, question I have is that I got two types of O-rings. One is an actual O-ring that slides over the valve stem and the other is a circular gasket that sets inside the sensor like a garden hose gasket. Who has which type?
So you are saying that when the Anti-Theft cap is removed, there is another cap or cover over the inter-workings and the battery. Is it weather tight? And how is the inner cover removed to change the battery?

The reason I am interested is that I would like to have a smaller diameter cap so that it doesnt rub and rattle against my wheel simulators. If removing the caps is workable, I might be interested in the 507.

I dont think I can help with the O-ring question. Mine has the inter O-ring and I have replaced a couple of them when they get torn and tattered. I can imagine an O-ring that slips over the valve stem, sealing.

I had trouble installing the sending unit on my rear, outside duals also. I found some 3" long brass stems and had my long, inward-pointing stems replaced. I did bend the 3" stems a bit so that they would point out through my wheel simulator hand holes. I couldnt get any of the tire shops to figure a way to do it, so had to find the right length stems and figure out how to do it myself.

As a side point, the tire shops charge $8.95 for a valve stem. I found the same, American made, stems for $2.45 at Six Robbles, which is a truck and trailer supply co.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #237

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Romeo;651080]So you are saying that when the Anti-Theft cap is removed, there is another cap or cover over the inter-workings and the battery. Is it weather tight? And how is the inner cover removed to change the battery?

Yes inner cap and is weathertight. Inner cover is removed (opened) using same anti=theft tool. Very easy and straight forward. Reduces size and weight of sensor.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #238

I am looking at the tst tire monitorning and will be installing on toad with rubber valve stems can someone give me there experience and should i change to metal
Westie2 is offline   Reply With Quote