Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #239

Newmar Owners Club
My understanding is that use of a monitor on rubber valve stems is bad news. All recommendations are for metal valve stems when installing an air pressure monitor.

I can see why... the weight and the tire rotation would tend to continually flex the rubber stem and eventually cause the stem to crack and leak.

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2011, 03:58 AM   #240

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
My understanding is that use of a monitor on rubber valve stems is bad news. All recommendations are for metal valve stems when installing an air pressure monitor.

I can see why... the weight and the tire rotation would tend to continually flex the rubber stem and eventually cause the stem to crack and leak.
X2 .
The centrifical force would be too great and over time you'll have an issue. The smaller the tire, the greater the force at high speeds.

Dan

Old 05-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #241

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have steel valve stems on all 11 of my wheels-

- 7 on the coach. I have a mounted spare.

- 4 on the toad.

Several folks have asked how tight do you put these sensors on? I would say SNUG, not TIGHT.

Having the system for about 3 years now, I have a suggestion for all you folks.

Get an old empty spray bottle, like a window cleaner, and put some Dawn dishwashing liquid and water into it. Everytime you adjust the air pressures and remove/replace the sensors, spray the sensors and stems with this solution- let it sit for five minutes or so, then go around and look at all the wheels. If you see bubbles forming, readjust your tightness until the bubbles are gone. If it's still leaking, call TST and have a new sensor sent out. You'll have an airtight, dependable system then-.

I speak from experience about this-

Good luck to all,
Old 05-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #242

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie2 View Post
I am looking at the tst tire monitorning and will be installing on toad with rubber valve stems can someone give me there experience and should i change to metal
I have had a tire monitoring system since 03 and both my toads had the rubber valve stems and I have never had a problem.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
I have had a tire monitoring system since 03 and both my toads had the rubber valve stems and I have never had a problem.
Some folks have issues with the rubber stems, others, like you don't. The prudent thing to do is have a metal, non flexible stem to support the weight of the sensor from any tire monitor system. Is there a possibility of the rubber stem breaking while underway, yes, would a metal stem be stronger, yes. You won't be stopped by the TST police if they find you with a rubber stem, but should it fail and you loose the sensor, along with the damage caused by the failed tire, you would have been warned that a metal stem was suggested, and recommended.

1999 International 4700 Low pro
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #244

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie2 View Post
I am looking at the tst tire monitorning and will be installing on toad with rubber valve stems can someone give me there experience and should i change to metal

I've used the TST on my toad with rubber valve stems without problems
Old 05-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #245

I am considering a TST system but a little confused. As I see it there is 510 system, a new 507 system both of which will monitor upto 22 devices. There is also a system that will monitir up to 34 devices, which I do not see a model number listed.
Which of these would be the best solution on a MH? Looking for simple reliable use. I certainly will not ever need 22 senders.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #246
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
I am considering a TST system but a little confused. As I see it there is 510 system, a new 507 system both of which will monitor upto 22 devices. There is also a system that will monitor up to 34 devices, which I do not see a model number listed.
Which of these would be the best solution on a MH? Looking for simple reliable use. I certainly will not ever need 22 senders.
The 507 system is the newest technology with user replaceable batteries.

I use an 8 sensor scheme on my setup due to the use of Crossfires.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #247

Thanks, I trust all these positive comments wont lead me down the wrong merry road.
I will report back after I get some miles on a system.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
I've used the TST on my toad with rubber valve stems without problems
I have the short stubby rubber valve stems and have many thousands of mile on them with the TST sensor's attached and have never has one issue for leaks. I did try to get metal stems once but because my toad has fancy spoke aluminum wheels from the factory no one had them in stock.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #249

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can finally answer the question- "How tight do I put these sensors on?"

Mix some water with liquid dish washing soap in an old, empty spray container-

Install your sensors "snugly" and spray with this solution. Go have a cup of coffee, or a adult "libation"- About 15 minutes worth.

If no bubbles, hose off the water/soap solution and your good to go . If bubbles appear, tighten slightly more and repeat these steps.

Good luck,

Believe me, I've learned this the hard way