Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ditto on Dan L's info on TST.

It was Dan that mentioned the tire temperature reading that turned me on to this syatem. I put steel valve stems on my '06 Malibu and had the wheels rebalanced with the sensors installed-- $65. The RV has "Equal" in the tires. I also installed an auxillary antenna under the coach in the rear-- I recommend this, for $50.

Our 1000 mile trip (one way) starts in about 3 weeks. I'll post an update when we get to Maine. So far it's a cool system. I can read all eleven tires (I have a mounted spare with a sensor on it) in about 3 minutes after I fire up (plug it in) the system.

Sure beats going to every wheel and crawling underneath the rig, for the spare, to check pressure readings in the morning of departure-- plus the info and alert notification alarm is invaluable ,

Good luck,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Max,
I wanted to add steel valve stems to my toad too, but my '08 Tahoe has it's own TPM system and they cannot be changed. So I am running with OEM's

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tpms

Max,
We are completing installation of a tpms with the aux. antenna. The aux. wants to be powered by 12v. that turns off/on with the ignition and located in the rear (down low) of the MH. Where did you mount yours and find power?
Thanks,
Harold Miller
'04 Beaver - 330 Cummins
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Mine is powered by an "always on" 12v outlet in the bedroom. The power draw is too low to worry much about it being switched by the ignition.

My wife unplugs it when setting up the bedroom area if we are going to be parked awhile. Otherwise we just leave it on.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
H Miller--

I mounted my antenna on the HWH bar-- That bar is attached to both chassis rails. I put it in the center of that bar, slightly below it. Then I ran the hot wire to my house battery pack which is behind the right rear wheel. I added a fused (5amp) on/off toggle switch in that battery compartment.

If I were to put the unit into storage I would then mess with the on/off switch, otherwise forget it. It can't draw a lot of juice if the monitor is off when the rig is parked. I did not consider the ignition switch. I'm always plugged up to power at the home place or usually camping. I guess I could turn it off every time I camp someplace, or dry camp, and I might get a sensor or two not reporting at times and that would jog my memory quickly to turn it back on.

I can take pictures if you like--- approval time drives me crazy when I want to add pictures, but I guess it's necessary-- let me know

Good luck,
Old 04-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelation View Post
Hello,
How important to have TPMS. What can you say about brand names. Are they all the same in quality/performance?. Anybody knows about TST brand? compare to Pressure pro?. Any kind of comments are welcome. Thanks a lot.
Another aspect of a TPM System is the conveince of checking your tire pressures . I have been RVing for 20 years and at my age going around, kneeling and bending down with a gauge is getting beyond me, especially on cold or wet mornings. With TPM just read your pressures and you are ready to move out!!!!!!!!

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I think these systems (I use the Pressure Pro) work well for the motothome, but be careful when using them on your toad.

A couple of posts on this thread have talked about the use of steel valve stems on your toad tires. The reason for this is important! The centrifugal force generated by the tire pressure sensors is enough to stress rubber tire stems causing them to fail.

We had new tires installed on our toad (2006 Malibu). The tire dealer used rubber tire stems a bit longer than the OEM stems. Two of these failed because of the stress from the tire pressure sensors. I removed all the sensors from the toad and have not had a problem since.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tpms

Thanks Max,
No pic required - was really more interested in the 12v aspect.
Harold
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #37
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DriVer,
I did not se an answer to your questions of F to C Degree conversion.

Try reversing it

68f - 32 = 36 + 4 (10% round up or down as appropriate)= 40 divided by 2 = 20c

if 21c x 2 = 42 - 4.2 = 37.8 + 32 = 69.8 (70 deg)
then
70f - 32 = 40 + 4 = 44 divided by 2 = 22
or
69.8 - 32 = 37.8 + 3.8 = 41.6 divided by 2 = 20.8c or 21c rounded up

Not as easy with the decimals, but doable.
Someone check my math!!!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #38

Another possibility for installing a repeater antenna that requires a 12 volt power supply is to tap into the line that feeds the license plate light. For me that is fairly easy as I always drive with my headlights on. Most generally this line is already fused. Ken Roberts...
Old 04-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I was impressed by the TST system with pressure and temp at a cheaper price than most and the ability to add air without removing the sensors
Not sure what system you saw, but this doesn't describe the TST system. TST does report pressure and temp, but you cannot add air to a tire w/o removing the sensor.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
I am thinking about ordering one this week. The only thing stopping me is the return policy. It looks like none....
Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #41

Max

Have you put many miles on the Coach since your installation???

Rick
Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Rick and all you folks,

Only one 3 hour round trip so far. In two + weeks a 1000 miler trip is scheduled to eat more Maine lobsters all summer long--

So far it's been great. It picked up leaks sitting in the driveway at the home place. Most of the leaks are small and they involved either a slightly loose Schrader (valve core) valve or simply tighten the nut on the steel valve stems on the coach and the toad. That has stopped all the leaks for me. My spare, a mounted tire, was driving me crazy-- It has a brand new Michelin on it and one time it lost 50 pounds about a year ago. Then after a summer in Maine it lost nothing. The TST sensor told me when it was leaking since I installed the system and I was on its case every day. Tightening the above mentioned items solved the problem.

I find it best to check all the tires (11 for me) in the cool of the evening or early morning. The sun has an immediate effect on tire temperature and air pressure rise. If the sun is on one side of the vehicle the tires jump up as much as 5 degrees in a short time.

I can get all tires on one axle within + or - 1 degree --out of, for lack of a better term, the "sun effect". I read all tire pressures and write them down-- and then adjust the ones that are off of my target pressures. Adding air is the hardest-- the sensor must be removed completely---. I add one extra pound for re-installing the sensor because I can only rotate the sensor about 160 degrees per turn because of wheel cover interference. That extra one pound allows for an air loss as the Schrader valve leaks slightly as I re-position the sensor tool to turn it the next 160 degrees.

I use the TST system for all my values. Both of my dual foot (crows foot) tire guages are not close, like 5 PSI off. The TST system is rated at less than one degree error. When I adjust the pressures, after I remove the sensor, I use my first reading with the dual foot and then add the value I want to increase it by. To lose pressure I simply loosen the sensor until it hisses and re-tighten it when I think I've let enough air out, then I jump back into the cockpit and read the monitor.

For those folks who have asked if the system is worth the money-- you guys and gals probably haven't been sitting on the side of a road with a tire leaking or blown out yet--- I have ---TWICE, and I don't like it! I also cruise around with a brake system that is, just now, undergoing it's second safety recall (for me) by the NHTSB for repairs to overheating brake calipers, because of moisture (probably from condensation due to inactivity of RV's) in brake fluid and faulty phelonic pistons in those calipers.

What else can I say-----

Good luck and safe travels to all our friends out there,