Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #85

Thanks for the quick reply.

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #86

Max, what kind of "UltraPower Stuff" do you have installed?

Dave

Old 06-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #87

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flossy (Dave)--

Not very descriptive I guess " UP Stuff".

I have the computer reprogram Ultra Power upgrade, cold air intake (CAI), Taylor wires with insulators and the hotter spark plugs. It runs great.

Thanks for asking----
Old 06-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #88

Have you added any suspension parts - steer safe, shocks, sway bars, track bars?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #89

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unfortunately I haven't had the best luck with the TST system on my 2004 Adventurer 35U -

The system worked great on the 2,500 drive back east, though I was just using the short antenna and occasionally some of the rear tires would drop off. Pressures were fine.

After sitting in Georgia for a week, I had the outer duals reading very low. Checked the pressures, and they were fine. After reinstalling the sensors, the readings were fine for a few hours, and then starting dropping again. Additionally, the left rear inner tire started reading low. Pulled the sensors on all three; all were fine. Per the suggestion of (Dan?) at TST, who was very helpful, I pulled the sensors, blew them out, and reinstalled not as tightly. The inner tire then showed fine, but the outer duals still showed low (to the tune of between 3 and 9 psi total pressure). Checked pressures again - all fine.

The next morning the right inner was showing 65 psi again - pulled all 3 of the problem sensors, reinstalled, and the inner was fine again (outers still low). Later that day the inner had dropped 30 psi, and I was sick and tired of pulling sensors. The next day I had 3-9 psi in the outers, and the inner problem sensor was showing 51 psi. I gave up.

But the next day I checked tire pressures and, low and behold, the inner was indeed at the 51 psi it showed - the outers were fine. So I refilled the inner and went on my way. When I got to the office today, my 2 new sensors were waiting for me.

The other recurring problem was sensors dropping off the display - I'm now using the long antenna (no repeater), but I sometimes lose even the front sensors. The next step for that little issue will be to mount the antenna on the chassis, as low as I can get it, per TST's instructions.

SO - I'm still hoping to get the system working properly, so I can actually trust what it's telling me!

- Clay
Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #90

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flossy---

I put Bilsteins all around and added Oemy's rear sway bar. I haven't noticed any real improvement with the sway bar as it held the road really well before I installed the sway bar. The UP upgrade was a "Killer"--
Ask Al Morancy ('03HR vacationeer) about the UP upgrade-- He said a while back that he was going to use the motor home now as a "get-away" vehicle after he robbed a bank-- Shades of Bonnie and Clyde in the 30's after the Ford V-8 was introduced by 'ole Henry ---Ha, Ha.

Clay---

I had to add the rear antenna from the "get go". It was worth the extra $50 as I had range problems just setting up the system at home. I also recommended this to be included in the system. A bit of humor --- When I first added the system in the Jan/Feb time frame we took a short trip to near the coast in NC and on our way home I decided to have Cindy just drive the toad home, an hour and a half trip. Well she decides to "peel off" into a McDonald's (without telling me) and shortly thereafter I lose all my toad signals-- I was really cussing the system for a few minutes . I was still picking up the toads signal about a quarter mile behind me as traffic got between us.

I had a blow out on an inner rear dual (side wall) on my trip to Maine in May. The guy that changed the tire (I use Camping Worlds road care emergency service) said I hit a piece of debris, I had just come out of a road construction zone--- my third one on I-95 in NC .
The TST showed me immediately which one it was and I eased off on an exit ramp (180), into a Pilot service Station, and was off and running again in about an hour and a half (I have a mounted spare). I bought a new Michelin (spare) in Ashland VA.

Here are pictures I took in Ashland at the Michelin distributor, of the blown out tire

If you look closely in the center of the rupture, toward the rim area, you will see a bruise and two vertical tears -- This is why the tire changer guy said I had hit a piece of debris. The wet, soapy stuff is from the tire dismount procedure.

I haven't had any strange or adverse reading with the TST system at all in several months and I run Equal in all the RV's tires-- of couse I had the proper shrader valves (cores) installed when the Equal was added to the tires.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #91

Max did the UP upgrade have a noticeable effect on your power? How do the Bilsteins ride? I've read a lot of pros and cons on them vs Koni FSDs.

I'm looking at replacing the shocks, adding Steer Safe, and probably the UP.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #92

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dave--

There was a noticeable increase in power with the Ultra power upgrades I described above. If your looking at the Banks upgrades, I understand their power increase is in the higher RPM range. That might suit some folks but I'm an old fuddy duddy and I felt, and like, the increased power at lower RPM's. Headers (such as in the Banks upgrade) present other problems such as high heat to engine parts. I had the Banks on my old MH chev 454.

The Bilsteins ride good -- no bounce at all. I'm satisfied with them.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #93

Maz thanks for the info. I had looked at Banks when I had a V-10 but am not interested in it for the Vortec, like you I'm looking for power at lower RPM. I'm really not lacking in power but I do cross the Rockies twice a year.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #94

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dave---

Here is some info from other members about shock absorber choices.

To each his own -----
Old 06-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #95

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
What have others found when comparing the TST reported PSI to what you read on a normal tire gauge?
Just installed my TST and the sensors are EXACTLY the same as my gage....SPOOKY!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #96

I just installed the TST sensors before our trip to California last month. Had trouble with one sensor consistently reading low. At first it was only 4 to 5 psi low but as the trip progressed it got worse. I tried taking it off and checking to see if there was any dirt in it.
I was so worried at first that I was loseing air in that tire that I kept checking it with a guage. Got tired of that and just for the heck of it placed the bad sensor on another tire to see if it would make a difference. Still read low so I put it back on the original wheel to keep from getting confused.
I'll be calling Dan at TST to get the senor replaced.
Overall I'm still happy with this system. I watched my tire pressure's closely before but had no way of telling what they were underway. I now know at a glance what they are and in the morning before starting out I can check them without using the air guage. Came in very handy on the 4885 mile round trip to California and back.
Letsgoagain
Old 06-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #97

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have been looking at a TPMS system for better part of a year. I looked at Doran PRessure Pro, Hawkshead, Hopkins and TST. I settled on TST after searching the net and reading Max's comments. Beside TST is an IV2 Sponsor and free shipping is a bonus.

The install was a snap and the config was easy. So far I have not had o install the long antenna or the repeater. I initially installed the monitor on top of the dash but moved it and my Scan Gauge II to spot I used to hold "junk".

OBTW - I ordered the 4 sensors system and forgot to add 2 more sensors for the rear duals. I should have them next week.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #98

Oemy, that's a slick installation. I will probably blatanty copy it whenI get my equipment.

Thanks