Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #113

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Marka--

I've only had the system about 1 1/2 years. No problems.

The sensor weight doesn't appear to be an issue. I also have valve core extensions on my inner rear dual 22.5" tires. I use "equal" for balancing and things are as smooth as they can be. Some folks are using plastic, or cereamic beads. Lead weights are a thing of the past as is rotating tires in the motor home application (most MH's tires dry rot before they wear out).

I added the repeater antenna ($50) under the rear of my rig and I can still read the "toads" data when the bride is driving it following me down the road. My system allows 16 axels to be displayed. You can program different axels for different trailers, you'll just get a blank reading on those axels if your not towing a particular trailer that day. I remember my wife peeled off into a McDonalds without telling me and I couldn't get readings-- I thought the system was broken (we were in traffic) until I called her on the cell phone. This system was designed for trucks and, I guess, tandem towing of multiple trailers.

Any comments from Ken Roberts on this?? (He is an iRV2 member and a distributor for TST).

Good luck on your choice of systems. Any one is going to be far better than nothing.

It gives you a "warm fuzzy" when your on the road !!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Do they all work with sensors on the valve stems? Any issues with adding weight to the valve stem on 22.5 rims?
There are some TPMS systems (at least one I know of) that work with sensors inside the tire, strapped around the center of the wheel -- the tires have to be unmounted from the rims for the system to be installed.

Virtually all of the valve stem mounted monitor systems recommend metal stems. My inner duals have extensions that bring the stems barely through the hole in the outer wheel. I have rubber stabilizers (made by Alcoa) in the wheel holes that keep my inner dual long stems w/extensions from flexing. I do have my TST sensors on the toad mounted on short rubber stems. I've seen others mention trying to buy metal stems for car tires, and not being able to find any.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #115

Max, I think what you are asking me to respond to is the issue of having multiple trailers programmed into the TST monitor, i.e. race, dolly or what have you. You are correct, when tariler "X" is not being towed those axles show blank and instead the axles for trailer "Y" show up on the monitor on that particular trip.

Yes, all on valve stem systems manufactures recommend metal valve stems. The reason is that with some sensors there is a lot of stem flexing due to centrifigal force; however, the TST sensors weighing in at only 23 grams do not experience that problem as readily. Newer cars seem to be using very short valve stems and that too helps the cause. The flexing with either longer valve stems and/or larger sensors or both is the issue of chafing which will eventually create a leak.

To the best of my knowledge, which some days is questionable, all 22.5" tires have metal valve stems. On 19" tires as found on most gas motor homes I have seen both rubber andf metal. Use of rubber stabilizers as Paul Rider spoke of is a great idea and virtually eliminates the flexing issue.

Smartire are the only guys I know of with sensors fastened to a steel band around the circumferance of the inner wheel. It is the Cadillac of TPMS systems. The downside is it is both expensive to purchase and the installation generally runs $40-$50 per wheel. It is also not considered to be "portable" in that if you trade your coach or your toad and want to reuse the system you will have that same $40-$50 to get it off of the trade-in and a similar cost to have it reinstalled on the new unit. Ken Roberts....
Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #116

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
New Purchase TST

MAx,
I just purchased a set at the NEAR in Essex. I put them on myself before the rally ended. Had one with a poor seal but took it back to the vendor who sold it. He gave me a replacement and I was on my way. It was a real nice feeling on the return trip, seeing pressure and temperature both at a glance with out taken the hands of the wheel which you would have to do with Doran or Pressur Pro.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #117

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
There are some TPMS systems (at least one I know of) that work with sensors inside the tire, strapped around the center of the wheel -- the tires have to be unmounted from the rims for the system to be installed.

Virtually all of the valve stem mounted monitor systems recommend metal stems. My inner duals have extensions that bring the stems barely through the hole in the outer wheel. I have rubber stabilizers (made by Alcoa) in the wheel holes that keep my inner dual long stems w/extensions from flexing. I do have my TST sensors on the toad mounted on short rubber stems. I've seen others mention trying to buy metal stems for car tires, and not being able to find any.
I had metal stems installed on my Toad at Discount Tire for 26.00.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #118

bdaball, even though I am not the distributor that sold you your system, I too am a distributor for TST. Your story of having a possibly defective sensor replaced on the spot is great PR for the TST system and the company I am representing. Many, many RVers have had occasion to contact Dan Covington, Owner and CEO of TST and not once have I heard any negative feedback. Thus, as we distributors get to know Dan and the business that we are representing we naturally take on the same attitude. Rule #1 is that the customer is TOTALLY important. Rule #2 is if you don't think the customer matters go back and reread Rule #1.

One of my earliest customers had defective sensor issues; and, at the time being somewhat new I was unsure of just how to proceed and accordingly called in Dan who got replacements off to the gentleman where we had a win-win situation. Now I know what Dan expects of we distributors and accordingly handle issues like this directly with my customers and advise Dan as an after thought.

As bot a user and a distributor for TST I have never once had a second thought as to whether I should have gone with one of the other guys. Believe me it is very comforting to represent folks who truly know how to walk the walk.

bdaball, again thank you very much for your post, Ken rpoberts...
Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #119

Howdy,

On our RV, the valve stems on the inner duals are metal and have rigid extenders. They come out of the wheel and then are bent to horizontal and come straight out from the wheel/tire assembly.

Will the sensors cause any problems with the extenders? Just seems to be a long lever arm and lots of centrifigal force / inertia with the wheel spinning around...

Mark
Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #120

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
MAx,
..........Had one with a poor seal but took it back to the vendor who sold it. He gave me a replacement and I was on my way. It was a real nice feeling on the return trip, seeing pressure and temperature both at a glance with out taken the hands of the wheel which you would have to do with Doran or Pressur Pro.

Completed our first trip with the sensors on the TOAD and all weas great untill we stopped, late last night....I was enjoying a break from 8 hours behind the wheel, listening to the rain on the roof when all of a sudden the TST ALARM goes off......

Seems that the sensors on the front of the TOAD decided to get loose...and slow leaked out some air .... A little air fron the MoHo...retighten the sensors, and back on our way....OF course it HAD to be raining at the time, but I'm thankful that we were stopped at a well lit rest area, rather than in the middle of the "nothing"..

Watch the sensors closely, they will back off enough to let a slow leak happen...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #121

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mike -- no idea what rig/wheels you have, but I have a similar setup with Accuride aluminum rims that have round holes like many Alcoa aluminum rims. At a truck tire service center, I got some Alcoa-made rubber donut stabilizers that fit in the holes in the rims to keep the long extension from flexing. I had them before I got the TST system. Because my sensors end up within the hole in the wheel, I cut the stabilizers to fit the sensors. You can see what mine look like with the stabilizers on my web page at Tire Date Codes/Tire Care

Mark & Sandie - I found my sensors got a little loose on the first couple of trips (had a flat tire on the toad the morning after the first run). After checking them before each trip after they seem to have settled in and no longer get loose. I have added a wrap or two of teflon tape to most of the valve stems, but even of the couple I didn't they are no longer getting loose.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #122

I have had my TST for about two months and I will never be without a TPM again. I tow a boat with my MH and it is the boat trailer I am most concerned with. The sensors work great even after being submerged under water many times launching the boat. We travel in very hot weather and the tire temp feature is surprisingly important. Not that we can do much about the temperature it is nice to be able to see a spike that may indicate a problem before it blows. If I load the boat incorrectly I have notice a difference in the temp.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #123

If this has already been mentioned, sorry. Lots of posts here.

I installed the TST sensors last week and had clearance problems with the install tool on the rears. I found the black "handle" on the tool can be separated from the metal portion by removing the screw that holds them together. Still not simple to reach between the duals, but better clearance without the inch or so of plastic handle.

Steve
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #124

Seldom in life do products or a technology come along that really make a difference. In my opinion this (TPM) system is one of those things. I have always been hyper aware of the tires on all my rigs. Tire failure is by fare the most common road side situation you face when traveling long distances. Not just the tire going flat but the damage I have seen from a tire coming apart because the person did not notice the problem in time to slow down and stop. This is especially true with vehicles with duel wheels and when towing a trailer or toad. The peace of mind that comes with the ability to look over at that display and see all is well…priceless.

NOTE: I am still hyper aware of my tires and inspect them every time I fuel up. You never know when that crack or bulge may appear.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #125

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
If this has already been mentioned, sorry. Lots of posts here.

I installed the TST sensors last week and had clearance problems with the install tool on the rears. I found the black "handle" on the tool can be separated from the metal portion by removing the screw that holds them together. Still not simple to reach between the duals, but better clearance without the inch or so of plastic handle.

Steve
It would be a good idea to offer the sensors WITHOUT the anti-theft feature (so you don't need the tool)

I'm not so worried about someone taking one as I am in how difficult they are to install, manitain, and remove on duals!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #126

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a thought, did you try rotating the tool 180 degrees on the monitor before installing it? I had the same issue but backed it off and turned the tool 180 dgrees and it worked well.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote