Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Installation of the TST tire monitoring system

Here are the installation pictures of the TST pressure and temperature tire monitoring system I installed on my motorhome.

The wheel sensors are the size of a coke bottle cap. Two install tools are included. The sensors screw on to the valve stem.

Front wheel sensor installed. Each individual 4 letter code is input to the display module on the dashboard.

Rear dual wheel dual sensors installed (at the 12 & 6 o'clock positions).

Display module and 7" antenna for the system. I made an aluminum bracket to mount underneath the dashboard to hold the display. If you look closely you'll see the tire pressure of 80 PSI, and to the left you'll see 1 degree Centigrade-- These are the readings for the left outer rear dual tire. The tire being read blinks on and off for 5 seconds- the picture was shot when the LR dual was blinking off. You can see the LR dual missing.

Here is the display mounted. I used velcro tape to hold the display module to the bracket I made. Existing screws beneath the dash board hold the wires (with plastic tie wraps). The antenna comes with a piece of stick-em tape and it is immediately behind the bracket holding the display (I mounted it so it is oriented left to right). The kit comes with an additional cigarette lighter for your use. I didn't need it because I have two factory installed power outlets on the coach already.

The system is capable of reading up to 34 sensors. I set my parameters to tire pressures of 70 PSI and tire temperature of 158 F (70 C). This is the lowest setting available (for temperature). An alarm will sound-- and a red light-- immediately if these parameters are exceeded.

I guess the system has paid for itself already since it alarmed me to low pressure when I first turned it on--- for the RR outer dual. I'll get to that problem when it warms up around here. I had filled the tires to proper air pressure levels immediately before I installed the sensors. I think I have a leak from the valve stem extension.

I feel an increase of tire temperature, above my parameter setting, could be useful to detect a potential brake caliper impending overheat situtation-- The calipers are in very close proximity to the tires. This was the main reason I purchased this system. When I have metal valve stems installed in the toad I'll add 4 more sensors to the system.

Cheers
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:02 AM   #2

Real nice write up and pics Max! I look forward to the "road reports"...
Are metal valve stems recommended by TST?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #3

Max I just sent you a PM re your install which could be very helpful to other buyers, Ken,'04 DSDP
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
During my commercial flying days the passengers always wanted to know what the temperature was at our destination.

Since all aviation temperature weather reports are given in celsius I devised a quick method to do it--- and I'm going to share that with you folks, especially since the TST tire temperature is in celsius.

Here goes:

Take the celsius temperature-- double it and add 30. Bingo!!

Examples:

20c 20 x 2 = 40 + 30 = 70f ------ 68f actual

25c 25 x 2 = 50 + 30 = 80f ------ 77f actual

30c 30 x 2 = 60 + 30 = 90f ------ 86f actual

70c 70 x 2 = 140 + 30 = 170 ------ 158f actual

90c 90 x 2 = 180 + 30 = 210 ------ 194f actual

As we used to say in the Air Force "close enough for goverment work"

I used to ask the young co-pilots (and old ones too) that flew with me to get the arrival weather (that's routine-- and always write it down) and get the temperature in fahrenheite so they could brief the passengers. Well some just gave up--- while I'm sitting there just busting a gut laughing. It brought tears to my eyes as they are pulling out flight manuals, Jepperson approach manuals and any book they could find in the cockpit that might give them a clue

You might find this useful in your travels into Canada and Mexico. Try it on your spouse too----- Ha, Ha

Yes Troth, steel stems are recommended. All our motorhomes have them (I think)

Good luck,
Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #5

For the conversion the accurate formula is:

double the celsius subtract 10 percent and then add 32. So:

20c 20 x 2 = 40 - 4 = 36 + 32 = 68f

Have fun -- really is not much harder and is exact
BostonPups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Max, System will only display in Celsius? Seems odd to distribute this product in USA and not display in f degrees
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Bill--

Yup--- Get over it

Learn the two formula's given here. The last one is dead on!

Remember most of the rest of the world is on the metric system -----

I remember when Canada used our system, you probably do too. Our leaders dropped the ball on this one not converting to metric many years ago. I go nuts having to carry two sets of tool now. Ford uses SAE and GM uses metric-- ugh!!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #8

I am a Distributor for TST and a user thereof. On pages 2 and 5 of the TST user's manual it specifically spells out that the entire system (wheel sensors and dash monitor) can be set-up to reflect temperature readings as either Farenheit or Celcius.

I totally agree with Max that the U.S. should have converted years ago. Ken,'04 DSDP......
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonPups:
For the conversion the accurate formula is:
Wish I knew that in school some 40 years ago. Nice to know now and you're never too old to learn something new. Very simple.

What's the EZ F° to C° ?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:55 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill, Ken and the rest of our viewers,

Correction---- Yes, you can set the TST system to fahrenheite--. I went out to the rig this AM, read the instruction manual and changed it.

I guess I didn't care much because I've dealt with Celsius so much in my life. You know what assumptions can do--- Golly, wish I could change or erase the Celsius to Fahrenheite post I made, but I'm timed out-- Only Oemy can do that

I apologize to all ,

Thanks Tom for the exact formula-- Most of the young pilots that flew with me couldn't do math anyway. They all needed a calculator in their hands. I went close to (I-40) Durham yesterday going to the "Queen City" (Charlotte). Are you a "Blue Devil" a "Tar Heel" or maybe a "wolf Pack" fan?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #11

Fans of all 3 --- wife went to Duke, I went to State, one son to State and one son to UNC.
BostonPups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Okay-- here is the latest picture of the left front with "F" shown--- Taken this morning

An interesting point-- I used my mechanical Tire guage, pictured in my first post, to set the pressures I wanted. Today on the RR outer, the one that went down and alarmed, I put a new shorter valve stem extension on, and filled the tire to 86 PSI. When I installed the sensor it read 81 PSI in the cockpit. I looked at the specs for the sensors and they are + or - .7 of a degree. Can that mechanical gauge be off that much???

I also found some "equal" powder grains in the extension I took off.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:18 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Max, I hope your valve stem extensions are NOT the flexible kind. I would be concerned about the sensor on the end of a rubber hose getting whipped around and snapping the hose. Some of those extensions are marginal to begin with.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #14

Max,
If you have Equal dust in the valve stems check to make sure your tire installer install the valve stems with screens on them. The use of Equal balance beads requires special valve stems with screens. I have had the TST tire monitoring system for almost a year now and have been very pleased with the system. The sensors and my air gage register within a pound of each other. I did purchase a high quality dial air pressure gage and my other gages were found very inaccurate one was off 5 pounds and when comparing them to each other they were all over the place. Enjoy the tire monitoring system and hopes it serves you as well as it has me.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote