Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Installing a rear view (wireless) camera in Mirada

I just finished installing and testing the rear view camera in my Mirada.

The camera and wireless transmitter/receiver run about $20 on e-bay. I'm using the LCD TV as the monitor, but will probably also use a small 4 inch monitor for the camera. The TV is nice for backing up, but not practical for driving down the road.

Rear View Camera | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BackupCam_5_600.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	95883  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #2

Waiter 21
Man you just keep stepping up to the plate.

Would you believe just about two hours ago before I read your post I ordered a wireless camera with 7 inch monitor from eBay $ 67 might be junk but spend more on coffee so will see what happens.

I will try it wireless but have read a lot of negatives about the wireless if necessary I can run hard wire from camera to monitor.

I had not scoped out how I would do mine and now I don't have to you just did it for me.

I jumped on to your website and saw your thermostat, might do that also but I am okay with how mine works but I do like how you can set a specific temperature instead of a guess.

Ok now I have a new project for you, on your outside mirrors on the bottom there are some very small turn lights. .. just bought off eBay 4 inch round amber double sided led lights kind with a threaded stud like you see on trucks ...I will remove the little stock ones drill and tap to receive the new.

I just want people coming up to be aware I want over so I think this could help. .. won't hurt.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jerry,

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not sure how the wireless will work out. The transmitter runs warmer than I think it should. I'm scouting out a way to run the video wire if things don't work out with the wireless.

Like yourself, I enjoy doing these projects and upgrades. My Mirada was 13 years old when I bought it, so technology and systems have changed significantly.

http://www.2001mirada.com/the-search/

I also like to do the web site stuff. And, its a perfect log of whats been done to the MH. When I sold my Ole Toyota, buyers would ask what all's been done. I would point them to the web site where they could see the entire history of my ownership, with text and photos. Probably the best documented MH on the planet.

A lot of the system type upgrades that applied to the Ole Toyota apply to the Mirada.

The Mirada is also one of the lower end class "A", so that leaves a great deal of room for "personalizing" it.

TURN SIGNALS

Mine doesn't have turn signals in the exterior mirrors, but that's not a bad idea. Gives greater visibility to the guy who's beside you and also makes it more visible to me when I leave my blinker on.

Post some photos so I can copy your idea.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post

I'm not sure how the wireless will work out. The transmitter runs warmer than I think it should. I'm scouting out a way to run the video wire if things don't work out with the wireless.

Like yourself, I enjoy doing these projects and upgrades. My Mirada was 13 years old when I bought it, so technology and systems have changed significantly.

The Search | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

The Mirada is also one of the lower end class "A", so that leaves a great deal of room for "personalizing" it.

TURN SIGNALS

Mine doesn't have turn signals in the exterior mirrors, but that's not a bad idea. Gives greater visibility to the guy who's beside you and also makes it more visible to me when I leave my blinker on.

Post some photos so I can copy your idea.
I had my My Mirada( twin brother to yours) for over 8 years.Great RV with Lots of great memories. Our had turn signals on the mirrors but always kept putting off doing a rear camera. Like you say, lots of customizing that can be done on that unit.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:25 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
LOuie;

Thanks. The Mirada is a nice step up from our Ole Toyota. The systems in the Mirada are basic and almost identical to the Toyhouse. Nothing fancy, nothing automatic, just basic, simple, easy to work on.

The quality of materials and construction is on the lower end of mid range. We'll probably keep it 5-6 years then upgrade to something a little larger with slides.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Waiter21,

I went a step further with a wireless camera system. I replaced the single input dash monitor with a duel and while wiring in the lights on a Honda CRV for towing behind the coach I include a license plate frame camera and the transmitter. Change the normal four wire plug for the lights with a six wire to power the camera and transmitter from the coach. The transmitter is in the rear door of the CRV and the receiver is in the dash of the coach with about 45' separation. Gives me a view from the rear of the CRV so I can see when the lane is clear when passing.

I did the side view mirror turn signal lights last month. Easy project plus I repainted the mirrors which were starting to flake. Used these - Amazon.com: Maxxima M09300Y Amber 3/4" Round Combination Clearance Marker Light: Automotive from Amazon at $7.25 a light. 30' of coach and no indicator of turning except at the front and rear just didn't seem right.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sweetbriar;

That is a SWEET idea.

I just ordered another camera and wireless transmitter to install in my Civic TOAD.

I also got the amber lights on order for my mirrors. Do yo have a photo? Do I mount them on the outside, or bottom? I think I would like to be able to see them from the drivers seat. Whats your experience?
Old 06-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #8

Name:	20150607_105901.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	96471

Name:	20150607_105756.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	96472

Don't know if this will work trying to upload pics of the mirrors I put on.
These lights are amber on both sides.

Big improvement, you could just barely see the small ones and the new ones are led.

FYI those small lights are really small the pictures make them look bigger than they are the round ones are about four times as big.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, camera, install, mirada