Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #15

Great procedure, where do you get springs

Hi Max
That was a great article and procedure. Any suggestions on a source for new springs?
Thansks
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
shirlock1,

Go here to this site and order direct from HWH. Cost is about $25 a wheel set.

Try some disassembled clothes pins for spacers. They are usually made from maple wood (very hard), cheap and already cut to a usable length.

Good luck,

Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ordered mine from Lichtsinn motors. I used wood shims that I got from Home Depot. Most of them survived for other uses around the house.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Easier Method

A much easier way is to make a removal/install tool from a 3' length of 3/4" square tubing. 12 to 16" from the end drill a 1/4" hole and put a 1/4" threaded hook thru the hole with a washer and nut on each side of the tube. The position of the hole depends on the frame to spring distance. Use the frame as a fulcrum point for the bar. Each spring takes about 2 minutes and it is not hard to pull on the lever.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
I installed new springs on my left rear jack today. I had previously done the right rear. It took two guys to do the first one about 9 months ago-- and it was a job!!. I did this one today in about 30 minutes, another member-- Tom N-- Winnebago forum member, told us the easy way--- I did this one by myself. I've made a number of pictures and thought some folks might be able to do it themselves also.

1- I needed about 30 1/8" wooden spacers (cut them about an inch long)-- paint sticks work fine.

2- An 8 ft piece of 2 X 4.

3- A long heavy duty screw driver.

4- A large pair of angled pliers (water pump type).

5- A brake spring tool

Here we go:

Old spring in the extended position-- to insert spacers.

Old spring removed-- Push the hydraulic ram all the way up with the 2 X 4. Leave the system turned on to accomplish this.

Old and new spring side by side.

Bend the new spring and insert spacers.I put the ends in a big bench vice. I even took the picture while holding the spring with the large curve in it-- No helpers around today- .

New springs with spacers-- I had to add many more spacers onto one spring. Overall length had to increase by about 2 inches from the original static spring length. I used a couple of my wooden leveling blocks, and, the 2 X 4 to prop up the round foot pad. Then I used the brake spring pliers to hook the remaining spring onto the foot pad.

New springs installed--

Here's a pic of the brake pliers I used to pull the spring onto the pad.

Both rear jacks were slow coming up and sometimes a bump would set off the alarm. That's why I put new springs on.

That's about it-- Good luck to those who want to try this. It was relatively easy done this way. With the first one I did I had a heck of a time. The tech at HWH said just pull down on it hard-- Ha, Ha. He probably has the coaches over a pit and he's standing down below ----
Thanks Max for posting procedure and TomN for the idea. Did one alone today in about 1/2 hr once set up with wooden spacers.Always find solutions here
Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #20

When I replaced my HWH Springs I used rachet straps to get the spring to stretched enough to hook back. I hooked the non buisness end of the rachet strap onto the frame
On one such as yours, I used a loop of cord between the two hooks. (The hook on the strap end and the hook on the end of the spring.) Once the spring was stretched far enough I could twist the spring hook into place with a large screwdriver used as a pry bar.
Then once hooked, I cut the loop with a knife. (Some rachet straps don't like to pay out slowly) (Hence the cuttable loop.)
Nylon strapping tape makes a great loop material. Use a square knot!

A heck of a lot easier for me.

Sorry, no pictures as this was several years ago.

On the jacks like in the OP's pictures, I would use a longer loop over the frame and pull the spring up if there wasn't room for the rachet mechanism. My method works well on the folding type.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Excellent write up/pictures. I have a friend with a slow rear jack. This hapend after a dealer used his jacks to lift the coach to change a tire. Plus it is a 02 model. Time for new springs.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Same procedure to replace old hood springs on a 55-57 Chevy!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
PKMesser

I am getting close to needing to do this on my 05 KS. One note, rather than prying up the jack with a long 2X4, use a floor jack. I have been doing that recently to help the rear jacks retract in cold weather. I blew a jack solinoid last year due to the long retract time. (on a retract jacks command, the solinoid stays powered until the warning light clears, feel of them, they get very hot).
Old 11-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i used cloths pins for spacers. instead of bending the new spring to install the cloths pin spacers, i used a come-along to stretch the new springs.
check my previous posts for pictures.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Who stole my idea !!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick60 View Post
Who stole my idea !!!!
if this was your idea originally, thanks.
that's what this forum is all about.
i used the idea about cloths pins from this forum and improvised, using a come-along to stretch the new springs to install the cloths pins. i was in an rv cg in reno and didn't have a vice available to bend the springs. the new springs are really too stiff to bend with vice grips.
i posted my procedure with pictures in july, 2010.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Interesting. but why wouldn't it be eaiser to install them in the retracted poaition?
heheee, work smarter, not harder. :-)
Old 11-18-2010, 02:32 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lepage View Post
heheee, work smarter, not harder. :-)
rainbow,
i installed my springs with the JACKS retracted. it is necessary to stretch the springs in some manner (i used a come along) so that they can be connected to the top jack mount bracket and the bottom foot. i installed cloths pins to keep the springs stretched for installation. with both springs installed, my dw extended that jack and the springs stretched enough so that all the cloths pins fell out of both springs, to be reused later.