Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Insurance gone balistic !!!!

Last year we had a substantial increase in our motorhome insurance. We ended up paying $1614. We had long talks with our insurance agent at Lazy Days, who eventually proved to be a complete waste of space, and the only reason that we "only" had to pay $1614 was certainly not down to Lazy Days.

Earlier this year we "graduated" to Diamond members at progressive. We all have 100% clean driving records and have been with Progressive for 5 years. Excellent - surely now we must be in for a substantial rebate due to loyalty and nice driving.

This years bill just turned up - $2432. A 50% increase in just one year ???

Companies can make mistakes and I also believe in the good in everyone, so I call Progressive to inform them of the mistake they just made. No point in asking Lazy Days. I assume that they are on a commission and have no interest at all in lowering your premium.

Progressive confirm that no mistake has been made. The have decided that "aliens" - in this case people without a US drivers license, should pay an additional $1500 just for being "aliens". This is regardless of previous loyalty and driving records. In our case this added charge is "generously lowered" to around $800 due to our records.

I can see no other reason for this than "because we can", and I am absolutely fuming about their decition. Talk about discrimination.

To answer some of your questions, because a lot of iRV2ers will find this outrageous and will offer well meant advice:

1. No - we can not apply for a US drivers licence since we are not resident in the US.
  2. No - we can not just go to another insurance company, because no one else but Progressive will insure non resident people with an International drivers license. Believe me- we have tried.
This is one bad day at the office.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Have you considered insuring in Canada? I don't know what is possible but it might be worth taking a look see. You have 10 provinces to choose from.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Have you considered insuring in Canada? I don't know what is possible but it might be worth taking a look see. You have 10 provinces to choose from.
No - we haven't tried that. I would have thought that Canadian Insurance companies would be reluctant to insure US registered vehicles, and changing the registration would have seriously negative effects I would have thought.

Taxation of the vehicle being one serious detergent.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #4

Perhaps you can find an independent agent that represents others in your situation. Miller Agency in Oregon and Explorer in Ohio are two that come to mind. Independents can represent several different companies so they have more options normally.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Seems like you are a resident.... (?)
Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by namwob View Post
Seems like you are a resident.... (?)
I wish....

We are allowed as a tourist up to 180 days a year, but no more than 90 days at a time. We would typically arrive around 1st of October and go back to Denmark a week before Christmas. Both our Mum's are in their mid 80's and would expect us back for the holidays.

After Christmas we return (preferably before New Year) and we then stay for close to 90 days. If we stay for just 1 more day than allowed (90 days) we can newer return, so we make sure that we have a margin in case air plains are delayed etc..

Old 06-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Wouldn't it be easier to immigrate?
Old 06-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Risk by association?

It's not fair that's for sure. But I'll bet that you land in the high risk pool because of your status and because the insurance industry makes no distinction between visitors from the north and those from the south.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
[QUOTE=Muddypaws;1225953.... you land in the high risk pool because of your status ......[/QUOTE]

Please explain, and pull no punches. I am curious, because Denmark has never been in a #high risk pool" as far as I know. Which "status" are you referring to. I always thought that we are "the good guy's"?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #10

There must be some financial reason no other company will insure you with an international license per your research or the market is so small that it is a niche market with little room for additional competitors. This results in a short supply for the demand, thus a high price. Basic economics.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to immigrate?
Maybe it would, but as much as I like, love and enjoy the US, at my age it's not what I want. I just want to be a tourist, but without the hassle.

I do however feel that it's unfair to pay that much of a premium for being "the boy from out of town". We are not worse drivers than most people. In fact we are used to much denser traffic, and therefore should be used to heavier traffic than "the average US driver". Charging us for being "foreigners" I feel is unfair. This is my whole point.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhks View Post
There must be some financial reason no other company will insure you with an international license per your research or the market is so small that it is a niche market with little room for additional competitors. This results in a short supply for the demand, thus a high price. Basic economics.
I appreciate your comment, but I don't see Scandinavian drivers being a bigger risk that US drivers. Why would they be? There is nothing that indicates that Scandinavian drivers is worse that anyone else.

Say you go to any of the Scandinavian countries, and you walk into a restaurant and pick up a menu that is saying: One glass of red wine: $5. (unless you are American in which case it will cost you $7.50 per glass).

Supply and demand - what can you do about it except pay the man if you want red wine. You are what we call "a captive audience". I will bet that this would be something that would go on your "I don't agree with this" list. It certainly would go on mine.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #13

I agree its a say-so charge. Why? Because we (Progressive) say so.

Good on you for being a law abiding guest in our country, and managing your responsibilities, however aggravating. Not all our "guests" are that kind.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #14

It may be that you are abandoning your property for most of the year (I am sure you are having it looked over but the insurance company might not think so).
For homeowners here there are higher rates for unoccupied houses (unused for 30 days, generally), then they cancel after so many days after that.

Tags
insurance