Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

insurance issue--huge up in rate

I know insurance for MH has been talked about many times on the forums but I wanted to possibly repeat an issue that is now mine. My premium has just went up over two fold for six months coverage. Yes, I am over 65 and I have had a claim in the last six months (hit an object that caused significant damage-$10K). Is this not a rather large increase in premium to someone who, other than this claim, has a very good driving record? This is through a well know insurance company in the RV world. Perhaps the first year premium was just bait to take me from my long-time insurer. Anyone having same experience?
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #2

Call Miller Insurance (800-622-6347) ask for Cheryl. They are an agency who know the needs of RVers well and do business with many Insurance Companies.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #3

I've had similar experience with Progressive...but with ZERO claims ever.....
Now I know why they are called Progressive...and my ex insurer
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
You could also try HiSage Marketing in Escondido. They are on the internet. I've used them for over 20 years. They are a broker and do recommend changing companies when the prices go up - at least they have for me.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee... My premium went DOWN this year (Nationwide)

There is a song that applies to this thread (I sing a lot, mostly nonsence)

The title line (The title is in thie line) is:
My mamma told me to do the SHOP AROUND!

And that is my advice as well. SHOP AROUND!/
Old 07-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
Perhaps the first year premium was just bait to take me from my long-time insurer.
I can't help you with how large the increase should be due to a claim but I too have come to believe that a lot of insurance companies do exactly as you indicate. They hook you with a low estimate when you're shopping and then each year they keep bumping it up... with or without a claim.

Progressive has done this to me. I'll probably switch next year and start the process all over with another company. It's a pain to switch because Progressive has my home, auto, coach, golf cart, and umbrella policy.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
AARP's Hartford policy has been great, if you meet that magic age qualification....they too have our home, auto, coach, golf cart, and umbrella policy. Good rates, great service.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
we had aarp. they did the same to us as this thread is about.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I can't help you with how large the increase should be due to a claim but I too have come to believe that a lot of insurance companies do exactly as you indicate. They hook you with a low estimate when you're shopping and then each year they keep bumping it up... with or without a claim.

Progressive has done this to me. I'll probably switch next year and start the process all over with another company. It's a pain to switch because Progressive has my home, auto, coach, golf cart, and umbrella policy.

Rick
Rick, I am like you disliking the switching. I hated to take my MH & Jeep from my Independent agent I had used so long. At least they welcome me back, and they still had my Home Owners, Chevy, and Buick.

To update with a few figures that might help some in same situation. My original with GMAC was just under $800/6 month for MH and '85 Jeep with $250 deductable (yes, the $250 was sure attractive at time) 250K/500K MH and only collison on Jeep. Anyway, suggested new premium was over $1600/6 month and a big 5 point rating for me due to incident. I called to ask explanation and got the line that "rates are up in Texas" and my point rating caused increase. Negotiations have got them down to around $1350/6 months, but with $1000 deductable and 25% decreasing premium/decreasing points plan (sound familiar of a TV add). (By the way, GMAC is using Nation General Ins).

I am back at the table with my long time Ins agent now, there it appears they may be able to settle at just under $2400/year for all four vehicles and $500 dedutable on three major vehicles (collison on Jeep) using SAFECO (Home State County Mutual Ins Company for vehicles) as the insurer. Having my home owners with SAFECO I'm sure helps in the rates. I feel I may loose a few items with this policy versus GMAC (ex.--sleeper and one ductible if tow and MH in same accident) but for the savings it's a "no brainer". Heck, if I used the sleeper it would only be for two months and that might save me $300 in a year.

In a way, I hate leaving GMAC with the MH as they were really good handling the $10K claim and agents were very nice, but they came back at me a little to strong in [premium. I would have possibly not even shopped if they had increased by a couple of hundred and say bumped my points to 2 or 3, however they did not do that so I will certainly take pleasure in giving my trusted agent friends more business.

Bottom line as several have said is SHOP when not satisfied. Even our long time agents need to be negotiated with sometimes when we get a little easy and don't show we might shop a tad.

Your mileage may vary.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
I know insurance for MH has been talked about many times on the forums but I wanted to possibly repeat an issue that is now mine. My premium has just went up over two fold for six months coverage. Yes, I am over 65 and I have had a claim in the last six months (hit an object that caused significant damage-$10K). Is this not a rather large increase in premium to someone who, other than this claim, has a very good driving record? This is through a well know insurance company in the RV world. Perhaps the first year premium was just bait to take me from my long-time insurer. Anyone having same experience?
Buck, just for giggles, check your credit rating/history. Sometimes a large increase in insurance premiums can be due to a sudden drop in your credit score, which could be caused by any number of things. Insurance companies can use your credit score/history to determine rates. I would check to be sure no one has opened accounts in your name.
Always a good idea to check credit a few times a year anyway.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Call Miller Insurance (800-622-6347) ask for Cheryl. They are an agency who know the needs of RVers well and do business with many Insurance Companies.
I've tried dealing with Miller Ins, twice. Once over the internet, they never did get back to me with any info. The next time was at the Phoenix Good Sam rally this last March. They did get back to me but it was only to ask how much I was paying now! That's the reason I wanted a quote from them was to compare rates, not to have them match what I was already paying.
Won't bother them again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
AARP's Hartford policy has been great, if you meet that magic age qualification....they too have our home, auto, coach, golf cart, and umbrella policy. Good rates, great service.
Wait until you have a claim.... They won't fix it right and then they will double your rate... Been there, done that...

Tags
insurance