Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #15

We have several vehicles along with the RV on a policy with Auto Club of So. Calif. The RV has been insured for 3 years with the only claim in recent history, to replace the windshield (both sides) after a trip to Alaska. Extremely efficient, easy claim and repair process and no premium increase on renewal (annual premium). They do require membership, but we have a variety of vehicles and their overall good rates make us happy customers.

Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #16

Even at my advanced age, I learn something about auto insurance way too often. I went nearly 40 years without a claim and when a college truck struck my car when parked at work, I thought it would be smart to notify the insurance company of the incident. The college paid for the damage immediately, so no claim was necessary. A little later, the insurance company called me and suggested that I go elsewhere with my business due to my accident history. No claims in almost 40 years, but due to my age of almost 70, they were worried that I was no longer able to drive! We had a long conversation and several letters later they adjusted my rates back down to the previous rates. Lesson learned is that never call your insurance company unless you are certain of a claim. They sometimes count any call as a claim in spite of the state laws prohibiting that. I have since confirmed this fact with an insurance insider, so be careful with that phone.

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Insurance companies NEVER forget filed claims. If you've had more than 1 (& it sounds like you have from the above statement), even if it's been many many years, your rates will go up.

As others have stated, recourse is shopping around.

Lori-
Sage advice from my son about insurance and accidents: do not wait until the current policy expires, or your accident info will be in the system. Get the vehicle repaired, then shop in earnest for another company before they learn of the claim.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #18

As a state-licensed independent insurance adjuster (homeowner-catastrophe) I can tell you there is a national database that keeps track of all claims. Detailed information is collected, stored and made instantly available to authorized individuals, regardless of which company you go to. Underwriters certainly use it when determining what rate to charge you. Breaking news: Insurance companies are not your friends and you are not in good hands with any of them. Save your loyalty for those deserving of it.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
As a state-licensed independent insurance adjuster (homeowner-catastrophe) I can tell you there is a national database that keeps track of all claims. Detailed information is collected, stored and made instantly available to authorized individuals, regardless of which company you go to. Underwriters certainly use it when determining what rate to charge you. Breaking news: Insurance companies are not your friends and you are not in good hands with any of them. Save your loyalty for those deserving of it.
Well put and oh so true!

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #20

I happen to be with AAA now for all houses, cars, rv, motorcycles, etc. I shop this insurance package every 3 years and usually obtain 3 bids with an average of a $1,000 deductible per policy. When an insurance company is willing to compete, they get my business.

As information, I recently had a claim with AAA due to a accident I had which was my fault. AAA paid that claim less my $1,000 deductible without increasing my policy premium 1 dime.

In my view, your worst "best" friend is your insurance agent!!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #21

I also had my rv with national general. Just received my renewal notice. My premium tripled to >$2000 from <$800. Called them and their reasoning was that I was involved in 2 accidents last year. Neither one was my fault. One I was re-ended while making a left hand turn from a turn lane the other I was stopped at a stop sign and was clipped when the other diver cut the corner. Neither were in my rv.

Their opinion as agreed to on the phone was guilty until proven innocent. They wanted me to fax the accident reports and wouldn't assure me that my rate would not go up.

Needless to say as of yesterday they are not my insurer and the rate I got was comparable.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Richard Dr4Film, is spot on correct. In the past four years every company DW and I have been with has practiced the same rate increase come renewal time! Much to my chagrin to the tune of approximately $1000.00 with no justification for such. So, I've developed the need to keep bucks in my pocket route. Three months prior to expiration I start my research and have been able to keep the premium at the same price point. I've Gone through Progressive, Blue Sky, they've just been bought by different underwriters and raised the premium over 1K, then new coach, went thru Hi Sage broker back to Progressive. Yep you guessed it up 1K next year. Now were with National Interstate. Well see what happens next year?

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance