Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Insurance: RV used as park model?

Hi, we have been full timing for the last couple of years travelling throught the US and Canada but for the next 12 months we have signed up for an annual site in Florida where the MH will be parked and stored. Heres the question. Who will insure us for this type of usage? We no longer require the coverage for liability while used on the road but need to cover the vehicle and contents - almost like a mobile home or park model.

leeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Contact your current insurance company and ask them these questions...they're the experts and should be able to guide you in setting up the correct insurance for your situation.

2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
This is exactly what I needed for my HitchHiker. Most insurance companies required that I carry liability in addition to the comprehension coverage. When I stopped in at the Camping World in Orlando, I found out that the GMAC insurance that they sell will let me take comprehensive coverage (with 5 year from new replacement) without liability. No need for liability unless I take the RV on the road. Then I just call them and tell the to add it on.
Ed J - Summer->Vestal, NY Winter->Melbourne, FL
1999 Dodge 2500 diesel, 6-spd manual
2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329RSB
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
When you remove liability insurance, most states require the surrender of your vehicle plates unless you register your vehicle as "non-operational". Then you CAN'T operate the vehicle on public roadways until you re-register the vehicle as operational again, which could be costly.

Those of us with towed RV units are not usually required to carry separate liability coverage, as it is part of the towing vehicle's coverages. IMHO there is no way you could convince the state your motor home has suddenly morphed into a park model.
SSgt. Richard L Ray, USAF (Retired) - Laura L Ray
Our second home is a vintage 1995 Jayco Eagle 277RB 'The Love Shack"
towed by a 2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab short bed "The Green Goblin"

W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Many insurance companies have policies where you notify them that the MH is in storage and the rate decreases. Maybe you could fall under that.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
Contact your current insurance company and ask them these questions...they're the experts and should be able to guide you in setting up the correct insurance for your situation.
This answer gets my vote.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Master of Disaster

I agree, talk to your insurance company. And don't forget to consider the scenarios around moving the RV inside the park; it seems like half the "accidents" I see are inside the park itself. And it's not totally unheard of to have to move during a year -- even if just to pull out for an hour while some kind of emergency maintenance is done.

SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote