Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
This isn't the case with my Itasca. If the house battery switch is "off" the coach is dark and voltage from the inverter/charger is shut off too.

Rick
So this means you are on charge all the time if you are switched on with the charger? (my battery disconnect, does that what is says, it disconnects the batteries).
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As it currently sits, everything is hooked up like it was, except I removed the batteries. My thinking is it should power the lights because I am plugged in to a 30a service, even though the batteries are removed. This, however, is not the case. That leads me to one of the two following conclusions:

1. The lights run off of the batteries no matter if I am plugged in or not.

2. The converter is bad and not powering the lights.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
So this means you are on charge all the time if you are switched on with the charger? (my battery disconnect, does that what is says, it disconnects the batteries).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAG321 View Post
As it currently sits, everything is hooked up like it was, except I removed the batteries. My thinking is it should power the lights because I am plugged in to a 30a service, even though the batteries are removed. This, however, is not the case. That leads me to one of the two following conclusions:

1. The lights run off of the batteries no matter if I am plugged in or not.

2. The converter is bad and not powering the lights.

So much of this is Dejavu all over again for me. I fought this issue on my rig last year and had much the same discussion here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/turn...amp-70261.html

Can't speak for any other coaches but my call to Winnie confirmed that the batteries needed to be in place and the cutoff switch "on"... connecting the batteries for my coach to operate.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
So much of this is Dejavu all over again for me. I fought this issue on my rig last year and had much the same discussion here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/turn...amp-70261.html

Can't speak for any other coaches but my call to Winnie confirmed that the batteries needed to be in place and the cutoff switch "on"... connecting the batteries for my coach to operate.

Rick
Rick,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your coach has a voltage inverter and the OP has a PD9180 voltage converter. In my '98 Gulfstream the converter supplies power to the coach with or without the batteries being hooked up. I found this out when I recently updated my converter from the older Magnetek 7345 to a PD9260. If the OP's 2002 GS is wired the same way as mine there should be converter voltage running to the house, even without the batteries hooked up.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
The way to start diagnosing an electrical problem with a converter is to use a VOM! A cheap one from Harbor Freight will work.
Is the converter putting out what it is supposed to, say 13.5V, is the voltage at the battery 13.5V if not then there is a problem some place between the converter and the battery. Assuming it is not, then you find where it is and go from there to the battery.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Rick,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your coach has a voltage inverter and the OP has a PD9180 voltage converter. In my '98 Gulfstream the converter supplies power to the coach with or without the batteries being hooked up. I found this out when I recently updated my converter from the older Magnetek 7345 to a PD9260. If the OP's 2002 GS is wired the same way as mine there should be converter voltage running to the house, even without the batteries hooked up.
Sorry John. I get that now.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Rusty that you should take voltage readings at the 120 volt AC receptacle and the 12 volt DC converter output. Until you take voltage readings your just guessing.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RJay, I did post my readings when I started this post. Anyway, I replaced both batteries and charged them up before installing them. I then used them while plugged in at a campground for 4 days, and I began to experience dimming lights inside. This leaves me with only one option, that is the converter must be faulty. I still can't get over how when I'm plugged in, the lighting system still relies on the batteries. I also noticed while the batteries were out of the coach, my refrigerator stopped working. As soon as I installed new batteries, it cooled right back down. Any further input by anyone before I order a new converter would be greatly appreciated!

Tags
converter