Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #1

Intellipower Question

Hi there, I have a Holiday Rambler DP with a Diesel Gen. When I plug in my coach, the house battery does not charge. After a few days it will be dead if I dont run the generator or the coach. I am curious why it wont charge on shore power, but will when the gen set or the coach is running. I checked the Intellipower unit and it says 12v on my volt meter while gen running or coach running, never higher. I have checked the outlet that it plugs into as well and it is at 120 AC. Is my charger toast? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It sure sounds like your charger isn't doing its job. Do you have a display that tells you the status of your charger... ie; how many amps it is drawing etc?

Including the year and model you your rig will help too.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #3

What is your battery voltage when hooked to shore power?
Should be 13+ volts.
Battery needs to be fully charged and tested to be sure its ok first.
Then the converter needs to checked if battery is ok.
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. My coach is a 1996 HR Endeavor LE. I replaced the house batteries 1 month ago. I have checked with a volt meter while hooked to shore power and the batteries are never higher than 12V. The test button never shows "charge" on shore power, just when Gen set running or driving down the road. I think I will pull the charger. Is there a better replacement. Mine is the Intellipower 9200 55amp. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you pull the 9200 converter. Check the fuse at the converter, Check for 120 volts at the plug, and follow the converter output line and see if it has a circuit breaker that is tripped.

+
Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderjack
Thanks for the responses. My coach is a 1996 HR Endeavor LE. I replaced the house batteries 1 month ago. I have checked with a volt meter while hooked to shore power and the batteries are never higher than 12V. The test button never shows "charge" on shore power, just when Gen set running or driving down the road. I think I will pull the charger. Is there a better replacement. Mine is the Intellipower 9200 55amp. Thanks again.
In my opinion you have the best for the money.
I would upgrade to 70 amp as I did and go with the charge pendant.
Look on progressive dynamics web site for a 70amp w charge pendant.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/rv_products.html
Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
As Ron said, the Progressive unit is a good one. I have the 9160A (60amp) charger and purchased the 3 stage charging wizard for it. It charges to +- 14.4 amps initial boost charge, then down to standard 13.6 and finally, if no draw on the system to 13.2. This aids is stopping sulfation or boiling of the batteries when not in use. I've had this same charger installed in my last RV as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Your PD 92xx battery charger operates the same whether it is receiving 120v from the generator or from shore power, so you have something else wrong.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

OK, if that is the case, why then would I see only 12 v on volt meter when Gen St running and batteries are down. I even tried running my Yamaha to charge coach batteries and they never charged. I have never seen higher than 12V at the connection points on the converter. Unless I'm missing something, it isn't working. Or?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #10

Go to progressive dynamics web site and download troubleshoot guide for your converter.
Report back what u find
Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The engine alternator charges independent of the house charging system, but both shore power and generator merely supply 120v power to the house charger (converter or inverter - whichever you have). If you are seeing 12v on both house and chassis when genny runs or shore connected, then you have a problem with the house charging system. Could be a tripped breaker that feeds 120v power to the charger, or could be a fuse or breaker on the charger itself. The Intellipower 9255 has a pair of fuses (on the back, I think) and if either is blown there is no charging.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
The engine alternator charges independent of the house charging system, but both shore power and generator merely supply 120v power to the house charger (converter or inverter - whichever you have). If you are seeing 12v on both house and chassis when genny runs or shore connected, then you have a problem with the house charging system. Could be a tripped breaker that feeds 120v power to the charger, or could be a fuse or breaker on the charger itself. The Intellipower 9255 has a pair of fuses (on the back, I think) and if either is blown there is no charging.
Yes two fuses on back.
Next to 12v connections

15 amp I think. Blue anyway
Old 06-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to check for 120vac to the INPUT side of that 9200. If it's plugged in you can do that with the proper multi-plug and a light bulb, alas the proper multi-plug adapter is hard to find since they often put 20 amp plugs on those puppies (I made my own).

But you need to make sure it has a diet.

There is ONE failure mode that will cause it to work on generator only.. NOTE: other things in the motor home are also affected but you may have not yet discovered them.

Though it is possible the generator may do 12 volt recharge to the battery.... Very very rare . Usually that is done by the converter.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #14

Allrighty, the new 9260 is installed and like magic, we are charging house batteries. I also have the wizard so I can manually set what mode I want. Thanks to everyone who responded. Until next time, happy motoring!