Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
We had been getting some interference (heavy snow) at odd, non-predictable times on our TV (old, analog type). I tried turning the antenna, turning off various things like the fridge, plug-in fans and heaters, etc etc. After a couple of years of head-scratching, I just happened to be watching a perfectly clear station when the SO turned on the over-sink fluorescent light fixture and the picture went bad. DING, the mental bulb illuminates and the "problem" was at least isolated. Bad starter I am guessing.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
We had been getting some interference (heavy snow) at odd, non-predictable times on our TV (old, analog type). I tried turning the antenna, turning off various things like the fridge, plug-in fans and heaters, etc etc. After a couple of years of head-scratching, I just happened to be watching a perfectly clear station when the SO turned on the over-sink fluorescent light fixture and the picture went bad. DING, the mental bulb illuminates and the "problem" was at least isolated. Bad starter I am guessing.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fluorescents are noted for causing that problem. I've got two nearly new ones that do the same thing to my front tv (not the rear, though).

You may need a whole new ballast, or it may just be a noisy design like mine.

Mine are 12v lights, though they of course have an inverter inside to convert it to the AC needed to make a fluorescent work. I'm thinking the interference is actually radiated to the tv, since there is no 12v power to the tv.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they of course have an inverter inside to convert it to the AC needed to make a fluorescent work </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
More technically correct would be to say your 12v fluorascent lights simply have a 12v ballast rather than a 110v ballast. You could convert any 110v fluorescent fixture you wanted to use in your RV to 12v by simply changing the ballast. The neat thing about 12v fluorescents is that you don't need special 12v bulbs like we do with incandescents. You just buy the fluorescent bulb that fits, and you have light!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yeap, I was trying to keep it simple. 12v ballasts take DC input and invert it to produce high frequency AC (around 25 KHz in the ones I've seen) to drive that standard fluorescent tube.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote