Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2017, 12:12 AM   #15

The only extended life my oil gets after 5,000 miles is being run thru a 2 micron filter and dumped into the fuel tank

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2017, 01:42 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I JUST finished a two day Camp Freightliner training class yesterday. Highly recommended to anyone with a MH sitting on a Freightliner chassis. One thing Mike pummeled us with is this....IF you have any major trouble with your Cummins engine, the first thing they ask for is your maintenance records. These would include the scheduled oil and filter replacements that are suppose to be done every year. IF you don't have documentation from your local shop or if you do it yourself and you don't have documentation including receipts showing your purchase of the oil, filters, etc......well......we were told Cummins would NOT ok any warranty work. In other words, if you can't prove you've been taking care of the engine per THEIR specifications and schedules, the repair costs are upon you. That said, for me, the annual fluids replacement is a small price compared to a $30K-$50K engine replacement in case of unforeseen circumstances. jmho

les.warden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:16 AM   #17

I just saw an ad for a great deal on a used bridge, anyone want in?

There is always someone coming up with a new and revolutionary way to fix a problem that doesn't exist, if it sounds to good to be true......!!!

$75 a year spent on changing oil is CHEAP insurance in my book.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post

X 2!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:12 AM   #19

Quote:
I just saw an ad for a great deal on a used bridge, anyone want in?

There is always someone coming up with a new and revolutionary way to fix a problem that doesn't exist, if it sounds to good to be true......!!!

I think the diesel guys which have 6 gallons of oil in their engine - not 6 quarts spend more than $75
Old 06-07-2017, 05:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I think the diesel guys which have 6 gallons of oil in their engine - not 6 quarts spend more than $75
The diesel people also spent a lot more money for their coaches. While I agree with what you say, the price of an oil change, $75 or $300 is still cheap compared to engine repair costs.

I used to have a DP, I followed the recommended maintenance schedules, figured it was included in the cost of ownership. Manufacturers like Cummins or Ford spend a lot of money on lubrication research, they employ very educated engineers to develop schedules that will ensure the longevity of their engines. I for one have, and will continue to follow their recommendations.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #21

Quote:
The diesel people also spent a lot more money for their coaches. While I agree with what you say, the price of an oil change, $75 or $300 is still cheap compared to engine repair costs.

I used to have a DP, I followed the recommended maintenance schedules, figured it was included in the cost of ownership. Manufacturers like Cummins or Ford spend a lot of money on lubrication research, they employ very educated engineers to develop schedules that will ensure the longevity of their engines. I for one have, and will continue to follow their recommendations.

I see the logic in a machine like this. This machine never existed before so the manufacturer couldn't have included it in their recommendations. As others will testify, synthetic oil is still virtually identical to new in many cases, except it is contaminated with water, or particulates.

Similar to fuel "polishing", where diesel gets contaminated with water, or algae, or something, instead of dumping the fuel....it is instead pumped repeatedly through a filter until clean.......
Old 06-07-2017, 05:42 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hm...I think I will spend a few dollars, help feed my mechanic's family, and change my oil at 5000 miles!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm going to tread lightly on this subject. I've done extensive reading on independent testing of motor oil and oil filters. Getting to the point:
(1) Across most investigations of motor oil, the mainstream brands meet or exceed specifications of the engine manufacturer. Some folks rave about Amsoil, RoyalPurple, and Mobil 1. They cost more and are no better than Motorcraft, for example. Minor variations in test results, but insignificant.
(2) Oil filters in summary: Bosch, Napa Gold, and Wix oil filters are better-constructed than the rest. Emphasis is on better versus okay.
Many folks are going to stand by their opinions. That's fine. I use research to guide my choices, when possible.
Bottom line: follow the engine manufacturers specifications for grade and frequency-of-change. And, remember that higher quality oil, filters, and fuels are cheaper than an engine breakdown.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #24

Glad you reminded me about gasoline. The following website about gasoline is interesting and worth taking the time to read if you aren't already familiar.

Home | Top Tier Gas
Old 06-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #25

Gees- It looks like I'm gonna have to rename my Frantz toilet paper oil filter to FRANTZ 1......
Old 06-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #26

I don't remember the name, but I remember the adapters that let you use a roll of toilet paper for an oil filter. Guess I'm really old, crap!!!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:06 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I don't remember the name, but I remember the adapters that let you use a roll of toilet paper for an oil filter. Guess I'm really old, crap!!!
I think I will follow the manufacturers intended use for TP!
Old 06-17-2017, 11:37 PM   #28

My dad told me that back in the 30s gas stations would filter used oil and resell it as 30w.