Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #1

Has anyone ever fabricated anything to cover the interior stairwell area when parked/camping? I have a 1 year old that already is magnetized to the huge opening and has already taken a fall. Want to see if someone had indeed constructed anything that would work and get out of the way otherwise.

she's not up and about while driving but when parked/camping is my problem. I've got an idea in mind but I know most everything has been addresed in one way/shape/form here, haha.

thanks in advance. I'll hang up and listen.

2004 Damon Intruder 369/W22
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #2

Has anyone ever fabricated anything to cover the interior stairwell area when parked/camping? I have a 1 year old that already is magnetized to the huge opening and has already taken a fall. Want to see if someone had indeed constructed anything that would work and get out of the way otherwise.

she's not up and about while driving but when parked/camping is my problem. I've got an idea in mind but I know most everything has been addresed in one way/shape/form here, haha.

thanks in advance. I'll hang up and listen.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
While I don't have a rig that is similar to yours, please let me respond as a woodworker . . .

Could someone fabricate a plywood piece covered with, say, a light carpet? Perhaps a cover made of two layers, the bottom one smaller than the top one, such that the bottom one fits INTO the well and the top one larger to fit OVER the well. Think of it as an oreo with one of the two cookie pieces missing. The frosting is the part that fits into the well, the remaining cookie is the part that fits over the well.

After affixing the tow plywood pieces together, cover the top and edges of the assembly with a light carpet or other such fuzzy/comfy material.

Just and idea . . . hope it helps.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #4

Indeed a great idea, sorta what I was thinking and further my process I had in mind........plus you made me hungry!!

Thanks for the input, Sir. I'll give it a shot.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #5

Here is another thought, Maybe try to modify a stair gate ( the ones you buy to keep the little ones off the stairs ) to drop into some temporary brackets fastened to the sides of the well, you would need to add returns to the wall from the gate but that way you would have a gate you could open and close to allow you to go in and out of the coach while in camp without any major removal problems.

2008 Presidio
chicken legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ron I have done just what Warren suggested on our Challenger. I attached 3/4 plywood strips (approx 2" wide) on the three sides far enough down to allow a 3/4 " thick peice of plywood covered with carpet to fit down inside the opening and making the carpet cover flush with the coach floor. I also put a small rope handle on side next to co-pilot seat for lifting it out of the hole to get out or for traveling. It gives me a place to put my big ole feet when watching TV. Mine is weight bearing for me (6'3" 185). I will post some photos in the next day or so on this post for you to see. Good luck.

Waren I had to go get a oreo cookie while I was posting this - you made me hungry also. All take care and travel safe..................Jim
Old 03-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #7

Thanks Jim.

I think that's what i'm going to do. I may add a way to hinge the thing on the right side strip in the well to allow for access and then quick re-installation. Need to be able to pick it up from interior, especially if I am out at LSU and have a "soda pop" in my hand while tailgatin ya know, so I may want to see the rope idea.

Please put pics up if you don't mind.

Thanks again guys.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
the national seabreeze and dolpnin's come with one from the factory. ask to look at one n get ideas. good luck dave

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Ron here are the photos of my project. Hope this helps and also hope the pics come out OK. Take care...........Jim
Old 03-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim n Debbie:
Ron I have done just what Warren suggested on our Challenger. I attached 3/4 plywood strips (approx 2" wide) on the three sides far enough down to allow a 3/4 " thick peice of plywood covered with carpet to fit down inside the opening and making the carpet cover flush with the coach floor. I also put a small rope handle on side next to co-pilot seat for lifting it out of the hole to get out or for traveling. It gives me a place to put my big ole feet when watching TV. Mine is weight bearing for me (6'3" 185). I will post some photos in the next day or so on this post for you to see. Good luck.

Waren I had to go get a oreo cookie while I was posting this - you made me hungry also. All take care and travel safe..................Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

That will probably work for Ron as long as his Damon is like yours however it will not be that great for anyone with a battery box that is accessed via a flip up top step.

I am looking into doing something similar in my coach mostly to keep the dog and cat out of the step well and away from the battery bypass switch. It kills the EC30 AutoStart for the generator and deactivates the thermostat for the AC when they trip it.

I will eventually design something that will mount to the sidewall on the hinge side of the door and fold up and slide forward into a storge position when not in use and slide toward the back and then flip down when in use.

Some day.....
Old 03-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #11

I did almost exactly what Jim & Debbie did, except my 5/8" plywood is cut a bit bigger than the step well. It's wrapped with carpet, which is staple-gunned to the underside. So, yes, it kind of floats on top of the floor, but it doesn't walk around at all.

My batteries are in the step well, but the cover only goes down at night, and stores vertically behind an adjacent chair, so no issues with batteries, no need to install hinges, etc. It adds a few square feet to the living room, and in an emergency evacuation, it can be flung away with one hand while you unlock the door with the other.

Easy and cheap to do, however you choose to install it.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #12

Thanks Guys, great information and pics.

On the Intruder the battery switch, along with a few outside light switches, 2nd switch for overhead room light, etc. are located in that well area, left side of stairwell. Also, there is an ice chest and yes..the flip top for the battery compartment. But I should not have to access that area very often, so Jim's idea I think will work out for me.

thanks guys, post some pics when I get it built. meantime, everyone have a great week.