Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 01:05 AM   #1

Unhappy Internet signal booster

The Internet signal is very weak at our campground and I am wondering if an Internet booster might help. What brand/type have you tried and what gives you the best results? I would like to watch Direct TV on my tablet but I spend most of my time "loading" before losing the connection completely.
mickiec76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickiec76 View Post
The Internet signal is very weak at our campground and I am wondering if an Internet booster might help. What brand/type have you tried and what gives you the best results? I would like to watch Direct TV on my tablet but I spend most of my time "loading" before losing the connection completely.
mickiec76
Using campground internet to stream videos is not a neighborly thing to do.
If others are doing that in the campground you will find that an internet booster will do no good.
Get your own wifi hotspot from one of the cell phone companies.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:16 AM   #3

Campground WiFi

Quote:
Good luck trying to stream video on free campground WiFi.
All too often, campground WiFi is merely a router from Walmart sitting behind the office counter.

There are 3 major factors to WiFi speed. Most important is the type of internet service the campground is paying for; many times it is old school DSL which is slow. If you're luck, the campground is paying for high-speed internet. The rub is, campgrounds are usually viewed as a "business" by the Internet provider; so service costs more than typical residential service. Second factor is your signal strength, which a booster could improve. Final factor is number of users on the network. On a DSL service, a single user trying to stream video can bog down the network and make it unusable for everyone.

If the campground has invested a decent amount of $$ in a proper distributed WiFi system, they likely hired an outside company that knows what they are doing. There will be multiple antennas spread throughout the campground to insure even signal strength for all the customers. When a proper system is setup, each user's download speed is usually limited (throttled), so that no single user can eat up a large % of the networks speed.

There are many products available for boosting WiFi in RV's. The key is simplicity of use. So use the internet to do your homework. But remember, just because someone else's opinion is posted on the Internet, does not make it truth. Everyone's tech chops are different. What you fine easy, may be overwhelming to others.

Good luck in your quest.
Wonderingbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:25 AM   #4

See reply I got from similar question.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/need-...on-301059.html
Bobski12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I primarily use this setup because of the access point. All of our connected devices are configured to access the Internet thru the access point. It saves having to log on with each connected device...phone, iPAD, Smart TV's, wireless printer...etc,,,

The USB adapter does boost the signal compared to the adapters in most consumer electronics...but it won't do anything to fix poor bandwidth in a campground.

We're very pleased with these components. I did have to change the IP address on the access point to prevent a conflict with our home Router. When we get to a campground...I plug it in...access the built in configuration utility by typing in the access points IP address into my web browser on my phone or iPAD...select SITE Survey...and select the wifi signal that we want to use... It literally takes less than a minute to connect. All of devices are then "online"... Since they are already configured to connect to the access point.

Alfa Products WIFI signal booster and access point...

1. Wifi booster/USB adapter.
Alfa AWUS036NHR v2 802.11n Long Range Wi-Fi USB Adapter & 5 dBi antenn

2. USB wireless access point.
Alfa R36 USB Wi-Fi Wireless Router/AP for AWUS036NH & AWUS036NHR

Optional items....

3. DC power adapter...
ACR-12 R36 car power supply adapter 12v for Alfa R36 router

4. High again antennas...
Alfa 9 dBi gain (white) ARS-N19W indoor dipole antenna RP-SMA connecto

16 dBi gain Yagi antenna + 5m LMR-200 RP-SMA extension cable
Old 08-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
When the signal is weak in the campground I use David Bott's solution (linked here) to capture a stronger signal (and create my own secure WIFI in the coach).

It is a Ubiquiti LocoM2 directional antenna/radio and Airgateway router.

Does nothing to increase bandwidth of campground internet if it has been restricted or just plain slow.....

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #7

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. My campground does not have WiFi. I have an Internet data plan from my cell provider on my tablet. The campground is in a remote area and my Internet signal is weak. I was hoping there was something I could purchase to improve my situation.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. My campground does not have WiFi. I have an Internet data plan from my cell provider on my tablet. The campground is in a remote area and my Internet signal is weak. I was hoping there was something I could purchase to improve my situation.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
you do not want a wifi booster you want a cell phone booster, two completely different things.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WMFXE5O...PA0P7V37&psc=1

One of the more popular and well reviewed cell boosters on the market. There are others and you can even search some threads for homemade kits. A cell booster is good for many reasons including while travelling down the road.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #10

Look at a hot spot from your provider as many have possibly better receivers and a place to connect an outside antenna.

With LTe the carriers ate using spectrum in many different places and amplifier units to cover those are difficult to find in good quality that include everything.

Having a hot spot with an antenna connection would allow for an external antenna to be used and those also are spectrum dependent but if purchased to be matched with hot spot then capable of using with it...usually.

That would allow you to setup antenna on roof if needed and directional antennas can be used if needed but only if required as one gets "system gain" when they can see multiple sites.

Setup devices to work from hot spot and all is good.

Many also have wifi built in so you can use same to access that when available.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #11

Quote:
I use a jefa Tech repeater in my coach. JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs The main benefit is that it provides a secure network in the rv. It does help a little with weak signals but I have found that the campgrounds with wifi that handle video are few and far between. I have stayed at 4 KOA places in the last three weeks that advertised wifi but I could not even get a connection.

I also use my ATT Iphone and it's hot spot. I also have a Tmobile ZTE hotspot. Both of them have performed well on this trip from Michigan to Seattle. Neither of these devices has enough bandwidth to support video. $$$$ (DW encourages me to have WIFI and this is the cheapest I can do it.)
Old 08-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use the ubiquiti set up recommended by David Bott:

https://youtu.be/-i8SmOf5ZTw

Actually, I use the antenna he recommends and run it through an old home wifi router (linksys). I call my motor home network CoachFi. Everything connects to CoachFi, the xbox, the wife's computer, my computer, both cell phones, etc.

When I get to the RV park I just connect the Ubiquiti antenna to the best wifi signal (The RV park, a nearby McDonalds or Starbucks, or my Karma-Go hotspot). Everything else connects to CoachFi so there is no need to enter the RV Park's password.

The Ubuquiti antenna cost about $45. I already had the router.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:21 AM   #13

I use a WeBoost 4G-S in my RV it is inexpensive compared to some of the other options and I can boost my cell or use it to boost my verizon jetpak to supply a wifi signal to my tablets. I added a Wilson antenna for increased signal boost capability. Check out WeBoost products, they are simple to install and my setup works great. Here is link to another forum where this topic is covered at length WiFi & Cell Phone Boosters - Sprinter-Forum.
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:18 AM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
I use the ubiquiti set up recommended by David Bott:

https://youtu.be/-i8SmOf5ZTw

Actually, I use the antenna he recommends and run it through an old home wifi router (linksys). I call my motor home network CoachFi. Everything connects to CoachFi, the xbox, the wife's computer, my computer, both cell phones, etc.

When I get to the RV park I just connect the Ubiquiti antenna to the best wifi signal (The RV park, a nearby McDonalds or Starbucks, or my Karma-Go hotspot). Everything else connects to CoachFi so there is no need to enter the RV Park's password.

The Ubuquiti antenna cost about $45. I already had the router.
X2 - except my internal wifi is called Victory Blue. Works well and seems very dependable. Plus, no roof-top antenna which would be difficult to mount on my roof.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote