Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #1

Wink Inverter battery bank

Need recommendations on best 6V batteries for our Monaco LaPalma. Have heard of Trojan and Interstate. Any suggestions? Any tricks on
adding water in small battery storage compartment?
Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
My suggestion would be to install AGM batteries. They are maintenance free and last a lot longer than the standard lead acid type. One just installs them and forgets them.

We have one bank of two Lifeline six volts and another bank of two Interstate 12 volts batteries for a total of 400 amp hours. The two interstate batteries are located under our bed. We can do this because this kind of battery is sealed and does not release any gas or fluids during use.

AGM batteries are more expensive, but they require no up keep at all. The extra expense is more than made up by not having to mess with them and their longer life at least for me.

chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #3

We were thinking of the maintenance free batteries but our RV repair center recommended we not install because the demand on the batteries is so extreme that they actually would last less time than traditional batteries if we add distilled water to maintain. What do you think of his comment?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If adding water is a real contortionist trick then you can either use the quick fill system or go AGM.. normally I would not recommend AGM because they cost way more and if Lifeline is to be believed,,, do not last as long.

Troijan's are considered "The best" but when you look at the price v/s the ones Sam's Club sells... Go to Sam's. If they last only 2/3 as long as the Trojan's they are still a better deal.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #5

The battery watering systems they sell now are the best thing since sliced bread. You can add water while out on the road and not even get your hands dirty and takes just a few minutes. I use what Sams Club sells and Boondock and use my inverter quite a bit and have had very good success.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'll second the vote for one of the auto fill devices for battery maintenance and probably wouldn't spend the extra money on AGMs.

We're currently using Costco batteries and have been happy with them so far. I'm sure Sam's batteries are at least as good and they both have the befit of having stores all over the country where the warranty can be serviced.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

I have four 6 volt batteries and use the Flow-rite Battery Fill system that Camping World sells. The bought two kits as each kit handles only two batteries. You have to buy the hand pump also. Adding water is as simple as connecting the hand pump to the fitting for the batteries, dropping the other end of the pump tubing in a gallon of distilled water and squeezing the pump bulb until you feel the resistance to pumping increase.

No more mirrors and contortions trying to fill the batteries.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #8

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogoesrosie View Post
We were thinking of the maintenance free batteries but our RV repair center recommended we not install because the demand on the batteries is so extreme that they actually would last less time than traditional batteries if we add distilled water to maintain. What do you think of his comment?
I would think that he doesn't sell AGM batteries and wants very badly to sell you some batteries. AGM batteries are better at handling deep cycle demand and high recharge amperage. That is what they were designed to do.
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought Sams Club batteries for $78 each. I check the water levels monthly but only add water about every 4-6 months. If your electrical system is working properly, you should not have to add much water. I am sure as the batteries age, I will have to add water more often. I put distilled water in a 1 liter bottle to fill my batteries.

Bang for your buck, $312 for 4 -6V golf cart batteries. 220AH each. 440AH when installed series /parallel. At 50% usage, I have 220 AH of useable power. I can run my Satellite dish, receiver, and TV for 24 hours and charge my laptop and cell phone, run my water pump when needed and still have power to raise the jacks and pull in the slides. I can run my furnace all night without having to worry about it.

If you have room for 4 of these batteries, I recommend them.

I also recommend the Tri-metric 20-25RV battery monitor about $200 with the shunt and wires. It tells me every amp in or out of my batteries as well as charge level and battery history.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my old single stage charger/converter over a year ago with a Progressive Dynamics PD9245 and stays on shore power 24/7. Haven't had to add water yet and my T105s are very happy.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I love my AGMs, but if I had to buy more batteries today would probably go back to 6V golf cart batteries from Sams or Costco cause you cannot beat the price/performance. My last four Group 31 Trojan AGMs were $1200 and that was 4 years ago.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If adding water is a real contortionist trick then you can either use the quick fill system or go AGM.. normally I would not recommend AGM because they cost way more and if Lifeline is to be believed,,, do not last as long.

Troijan's are considered "The best" but when you look at the price v/s the ones Sam's Club sells... Go to Sam's. If they last only 2/3 as long as the Trojan's they are still a better deal.
"if Lifeline is to be believed .. do not last as long" My first hand discussions with Jim (the owner} and his son doesnt support that statement. They both have stated AGM will last longer than water additive batteries like Trojan etc. But Lifeline is much more expensive.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #13

Got AGM's in mine (lifeline) 3 8D 255AH that are a tad over 6 years old and going strong. Also with AGM, or Gel cells, there is no gassing so no terminal corrosion. While AGM's are pricey I just can't deal with the water and corrsion issues.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
I love my AGMs, but if I had to buy more batteries today would probably go back to 6V golf cart batteries from Sams or Costco cause you cannot beat the price/performance. My last four Group 31 Trojan AGMs were $1200 and that was 4 years ago.
Ouch, ouch and ouch. Gary are those the Overdrive AGM 31s?

I''m a bit suprised that an AGM owner would admit that they aren't the best thing since oxygen However, not surprised at all that the performance/cost aspect is a no brainer....all one has to do is look at battery specs and price tags.

My last post said after a year, I'm still waiting to add water. Actually I've been waiting to add mineral oil to prevent evaporation to reduce maintenance. Now I'm thinking if I can't add water once a year, I should be in a Hospice bed someplace.

I'm not an AGM hater by any stretch. There is just no justfication for ME to use then.

clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, inverter