Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 09:41 PM   #1

Inverter Draws Heavy Current with no load.

I have had my 2005 National RV Dolphin six years with no problems in the electrical system until now. I have dry camped numerous times and used the inverter for lights and tv and it all worked fine. This past weekend I turned on the inverter to run my Sirius radio plugged into the outlet by the passenger seat and that worked BUT I noticed I was pulling almost 40 amps out of the coach batteries. I unplugged everything that I know is connected to the inverter and tried it again. At first it looks ok but after 30 to 45 seconds it started drawing heavy current again. I am guessing the inverter has gone bad but since it is still putting out the proper voltage I am not sure. If anyone has an idea what is going on I greatly appreciate hearing from you.

The inverter is a Xantrex Freedom 458 10. I can't find that model on line so I am guessing they have stopped production.

Jim

AvoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 10:33 PM   #2

My first step would be to identify exactly what the inverter powers. You might accomplish that by shutting off one inverter sub-panel breaker at a time while having a night-light plugged into every circuit in the MH.
In this process you might also find the current-draw source.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have the refer on electric or auto?

LEN
Old 06-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #4

The only thing I am sure the inverter provides power to is the receptacle near the passenger seat and the outlets for the entertainment stuff up front. I had forgotten about the refrigerator. If it were on auto and the inverter does supply power to it that coulld explain the heavy draw. I will check that at first opportunity. I have to store the RV away from home so it will be a few days before I get back on this..

Thanks guys,

Jim
Old 06-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Does your water heater heat via both gas and electric? If so, check to see that the water heater is not heating electrically via AC power to an outlet off the inverter.

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Anteres
1997 Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
Rsponsford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
That is a inverter/charger and it will pull high current when charging the batteries and you will not be able to tell unless you have a meter that shows the DC charging current.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

He said it was pulling 40A OUT of the coach batteries, not charging them.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

40A from the battery via inverter is not a huge load, about 500 watts. Lots of battery amps, but not so big a deal viewed from the 120vac side. So maybe it is some load you have overlooked. Probably not fridge or water heater, though, since they are rarely wired to an inverter.

That said, some years ago my Xantrex RV2500 inverter/charger started using high battery amps with any inverter load at all, large or small. It was a bad circuit board.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #9

I am going to the coach tomorrow to check to see if the refrigerator can be powered by the inverter. I do have a schematic of the 120 wiring but I can't tell by looking at it. It looks like the inverter will power all the 120 outlets in the coach and know that is not correct. I always have used lp when dry camping. 40 amps is not that big a load but when you are dry camping with only two 6 volt batteries it can drain them pretty quickly. The hot water heater is off and the tv and associated equipment is all unplugged.

If it is not the refrigerator, looks like I may have a new inverter in my future.

Jim
Old 06-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #10

It is quite possible that is is the fridge. Our's is powered off the inverter and it is a gas/electric. 40 amps would be about the right draw and not a continuous draw.

Fulltiming in a 2012 Newmar Ventana LE 3634
Old 06-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #11

OK, I checked today and the fridge was the problem. Actually I was the problem. When we left shore power and went to dry camp, I apparently left the fridge on automatic instead of setting it to LP. Later when the wife wanted to charge her ipad she turned on the inverter and the fridge switched over to AC, thus the high current draw.

I repeated the above steps today and got the expected result so no new inverter. I did check the inverter output and it was only about 102 volts. This is the first time I have measured it so I don't know if that is normal. Will keep watching it.

thanks for all the help

Jim
Old 06-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #12

MSW inverters give low AC output volt readings, unless you have the right volt meter.

Tags
inverter