Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
What is often wrong in deals like that is that there is no way to control the startup sequence. When the main power is turned on everything connected tries to start. That can (not will) set up a short current imbalance that will trip the GFCI. The issue is is if it keeps tripping or not. If it keeps tripping you have a problem. If it resets and runs you are in one of those race conditions.

I would try turning off all I could before turning on the AC. Then bring up the loads one at a time. If one keeps popping the ground fault that is your problem. If none do then your problem is the race on starting that really has no practical answer.
Thank you for the input. I believe this is one of the steps the tech took and the reason why he decided to replace one of the outlets in the motorhome.

The problem is this is the same setup I have had for the past 1 1/2 years without any problems. Nothing has changed. My other problem is the GFCI on the inverter is the outlet that is popping, which is preventing power to the motorhome, and not an outlet in the motorhome.

When they decided to replace the inverter, I really hoped that was the problem, and may have been part of the problem. Like I said the inverted only popped once after the inverter was replaced. The tech had been playing with the system during the repair and obviously believed the issue was resolved. I wanted to test the system prior to leaving the dealership when the GFCI on the inverter popped once out of several on and off sequences.

I would like to chalk it up to a fluke; however, I am not a big believer of flukes.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #16

I also having GFI problems installed 2 new GFI and still having problems driving me crazy
sometimes it trip the GFI sometimes it does not. have tried disconnecting and checking
plugs one by one. Every time i think I have it fixed it pops again.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkirk View Post
I also having GFI problems installed 2 new GFI and still having problems driving me crazy
sometimes it trip the GFI sometimes it does not. have tried disconnecting and checking
plugs one by one. Every time i think I have it fixed it pops again.
If you have replaced the GFI twice that is 3 GFI's telling you that there is an intermittent problem with the load side. One could be a bad GFI, two might be a bad GFI, 3 says there is a very high chance the GFI is right and the problem is down stream in the wiring or loads. I'd start by unplugging everything. If you are still having a problem check for frayed wires or loose connections.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #18

Don't know if this is relevant to your problem but my " inverter GFI " pops, when I am running things off it and start my generator.

I hear the expected, low voltage alarm, since the generator starts, off the house batteries, but I don't get the GFI tripping.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I was told never install more then one gfi per circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Well... I picked up my motorhome on Friday (05/22) after 1 1/2 months at the dealership because the GFCI on my inverter was popping. They replaced the inverter and a couple outlets. Thought they had fixed the problem until the day I was picking up the motorhome and the Inverter popped. They looked under the coach and noticed the ground for the Inverter had come loose from the chassis. They connected it and everything seemed to be fine.

I got to the dealership, tuned on the inverter, and everything was fine. The next day, I drove the motorhome from storage to my house for a trip. Tuned on the inverter and it popped. Got to the campground (about two hours away), turned on the inverter, and it was fine. Drove the motorhome home today, turned on the inverter, and it was fine. Took the motorhome to the storage area, turned on the inverter, and it was fine.

Looked over the wiring to and from the inverter and the batteries. Everything looks okay. I don't see anything unusual. Not sure what to do now. I think I am going to contact the maker of the inverter (GoPower) to see what they suggest. I will probably bring the motorhome back to the dealership next week.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #21

Some GFCI's just do not play well with some inverters. Here is a page from Xantrex On the topic:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432764796.448508.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	95436

Wouldn't rely on an RV Dealer for help on this.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #22

I'd be curious why they failed. There is a GFCI standard.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #23

Lots of different inverters, lots of different GFCI's. They list some reasons in the document.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
**UPDATE** Contacted Mike from GoPower. Very knowledgeable and patient with me. We discussed the inverter and he gave me the opportunity to replace the inverter under warranty again. Not sure there is a problem with the inverter since it is new (not refurbished). Also sent me some detailed pictures and instructions on how to hardwire the inverter to my RV (circumvent the built-in GFCI outlet on the inverter). Going to test the inverter and check the wiring again.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #25

Oh, it's not hardwired! So the GFCI on the inverter is the one that is popping? If you hardwire do not put the common wire, white, on the ground bus. Also make sure the inverter is grounded with a heavy gauge wire. I use a 3 gauge wire for this.

If you plug into the inverter the RV electrical, then you more than likely have the common grounded, no workee, boom, smokkee. A good explanation can be found at Xantrex with their 3000w inverter installation manual. Has to do with the floating ground, double ground etc. which I am too old and decrepit to remember more than a hour or two after I read it.

I've watched a RV dealers electrical guy in action, scary. My inverter circuit goes to a second transfer switch that I added and from there to a new sub. I moved the circuits from the RV electrical panel that could be powered by the new inverter to the new sub and left those that shouldn't, AC and converter in the RV sub panel.

Also I bought a go power transfer switch, lasted 5 days. Replaced it with one that I could open and easily follow and understand the circuits in it, mechanical. Saved me from Giant RV's turning on the inverter and plugging it in at the same time.

Tags
inverter